Windows says my dvd is blank but it is not!

vbimport

Hello everyone. I have a dvd full of irreplaceable files and windows says that the disc is blank when I insert it. I am not new to burning dvd. I have a whole closet full of them and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I am new to this problem, however. I was using this dvd a few days ago and it worked perfectly. I did not drop or scratch it and the bottom looks fine. I have done some online research and here are the following things I have already tried:

1. use different dvd rom drive
  2. use different computer with difference operating system
  3. Programs: Recuva, IsoBuster, DigitByte CD-DVD recovery, DiskInternals Uneraser, DiskInternals Partition recovery.

Nothing has worked for me so far. Are there any other suggestions that anyone could give me. I am desperate to fix this. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

If you have tried all of those options and nothing has worked then you are probably out of luck. Could you tell us what burning program you used, what brand of blank disk, what burn speed (if known), how long ago the disk was burned, and which version of Windows are you using.

Just a guess here but if you have tried all that stuff and you have used cheap media then the dye might have faded out which will happen over time (1. use different dvd rom drive
2. use different computer with difference operating system
3. Programs: Recuva, IsoBuster, DigitByte CD-DVD recovery, DiskInternals Uneraser, DiskInternals Partition recovery) And none of these worked you might be out of luck, but hope you can find a way to read them, good luck

I can’t say this program will work but it’s free so you might as well try it.
h2cdimage

The disc was a lightscribe capable verbatim disc that I burned maybe a month ago. I used imgburn on windows 7 x64 ultimate.

One thing that I just thought of that may have caused this could be a strange thing windows does. When you insert a disc it will register that it is a blank disc sometimes on the first click then after that it will show the files. When you click it the first time it gives you the option to format it to drag and drop files. What if I accidentally clicked this option one time? I would think it wouldn’t be able to write over it and even if it did it would only be a small part of the beginning of the disc and one of those programs should have worked. What do you think about this? Thanks for your help.

I think it would depend on the disc type. A + or - R would probably already be closed so no additional data could be written.
You might try the ImgBurn close feature.
If the disc is a + or - RW I guess this might do what would amount to a quick erase.
Basically this is an option to format this disc for drop & drag.

Does IsoBuster see any data on this disc ?

Even if it can’t recover the data.