Windows Reinstall For Speedup

Has anyone ever done a Windows XP / Vista reinstall to speed up their computer? Did it help?
And would this break any program installations?

A fresh installation of Windows will wipe all software installed. It sometimes will speed-up the performance, but the gain is not too much.

A better improvement can be obtained increasing the amount of RAM installed or installing a more powerful CPU :slight_smile:

Why would it wipe all software if I just reinstall Windows XP over itself?
And I dont need a hardware upgrade, all the hardware in my pc came out less than a year ago

[quote=extremepilot;2214656]Why would it wipe all software if I just reinstall Windows XP over itself?[/quote]Installing Windows over itself won’t give any benefit at all.

[QUOTE=extremepilot;2214656]Why would it wipe all software if I just reinstall Windows XP over itself?
[/QUOTE]

It wouldn’t wipe the software in the sense of removing it from your HD, but it would wipe out your existing registry, and thus most installed software would fail because the reg entries aren’t there. Some software (small stuff) doesn’t use the registry at all, and some can recreate the needed entries, but the vast majority of software will need to be reinstalled if the registry is replaced. Registry problems can really bog down a machine, you may want to try some decent registry cleaning software rather than reinstalling your OS.

[QUOTE=extremepilot;2214656]Why would it wipe all software if I just reinstall Windows XP over itself?
And I dont need a hardware upgrade, all the hardware in my pc came out less than a year ago[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are referring to a system restore, not to a fresh installation. These are two different things.

A fresh installation usually involves the formatting of HDD, and this certainly will wipe everything on the disk.

A system restore will not speed-up the system, because it simply restores the original files of the operative system, but it will not remove all the registry mess, so basically it is an useless procedure. The main goal of a system restore is to recover a not booting system, but it will not make the system faster :frowning:

No I am talking about either formatting the partition that Windows XP is on and installing it over OR doing a repair install to speed it up.

Also I could just backup the registry

[quote=extremepilot;2214772]No I am talking about either formatting the partition that Windows XP is on[/quote]this will wipe your other applications.

and installing it over
:confused:
OR doing a repair install to speed it up.
A repair install will keep your software and settings, but it won’t speed up your system. Period.
And you will have lots of fun, if the service pack level of your Windows CD is lower than that of the installed system.

My WinXP Install is on a partition of its own with nothing else on it
I’m gonna try this tomorrow night and see if it helps