Windows on stick

Its very importan my laptop is old and it has ATA disc whic doesent work…
So can i install windows on Stick or EXT HDD
i dont have to be XP
It can be Windows 98 (id like that) or 2000…

Hi and Welcome!

there are some experimental hacks to get Windows onto a bootable USB device. Since Windows is not designed for that, I wouldn’t consider that as reliable log-term solution.

Installing Linux onto a USB device is much easier. Suggestions are: Puppy, Sidux or Ubuntu. They all have rather simple “install to USB” wizards.

Apart from that: have you verified, your laptop can boot from USB? Many older computers just can’t.

Michael

First thank you on your response…

1. How can i check if my laptop can boot from USB
    my laptop is HP Omnibook XE4500

2, i tried Linux but my laptop has 256mb ram Pentium IV 1,7ghz and its slow it need lot time just to load that boot thingy xD

[QUOTE=xDinichx;2409995]2, i tried Linux but my laptop has 256mb ram Pentium IV 1,7ghz and its slow it need lot time just to load that boot thingy xD[/QUOTE]

The first computer I ran Linux on had a 50MHz MC68060 CPU and 16MB RAM :slight_smile:
Newer versions of Linux, with more features do require more resources (even though from my experience it tends to run faster than Windows versions that have fewer features).
The Linux distributions that you most often hear about tend to focus a lot on having software with lots of features and/or eye candy (like KDE instead of Fluxbox, Openoffice instead of Gnumeric etc). There are however many distributions aimed at less powerful computers. One that is based on Ubuntu, and therefore relatively newbie friendly is xubuntu, which is based on the rather nice XFCE GUI.
Good old Debian is less newbie friendly but very reliable and it is easier to set up and maintain a lean system with it. Fluxbox, although not as userfriendly, is even more lightweight than xfce and can be a good alternative to gnome or kde.

ok ty very much…

[QUOTE=xDinichx;2409995]First thank you on your response…

1. How can i check if my laptop can boot from USB
    my laptop is HP Omnibook XE4500[/quote]Check boot options in Bios. There should be a “USB” option in boot sequence. If not, you can’t boot from USB.
    (I have a Compaq EvoN1020v here, which is quite similar, and there is no USB boot option)

2, i tried Linux but my laptop has 256mb ram Pentium IV 1,7ghz and its slow it need lot time just to load that boot thingy xD
Then try Puppy, since it’s lightweight and should work better on older hardware. Damn small Linux is another lightweight option.
You may also consider adding another 256MB RAM (and perhaps a new HDD).

Michael

in bios i have:
HDD
CD rom
+Removable devices
Floppy

Yea i would but in croatia there arent any HDDs that type, and btw maybe ill get new notebook so ill wait :wink:

TY

[QUOTE=xDinichx;2410005]in bios i have:
HDD
CD rom
+Removable devices
Floppy
[/quote]Doesn’t look good here :frowning:

Yea i would but in croatia there arent any HDDs that type,
Seriously? No 2,5" HDDs with IDE interface available? :confused: Your laptop should be able to handle up to 120GB. And if you have a new laptop, you can install that HDD into an USB enclosure for backups etc.

Michael

sure ill do…
but just one thing could i somekid put DOS on my stick and download DOS games on that stick (8 GB) so that laptop would be just for that xD i just love dos games

Yes, you can put DOS onto a bootable USB stick. You can also put your games there.
But all that is useless if your laptop is not able to boot from an USB device.

Michael

its worth a try cause i dont know if it can boot from USB… could u tell me how to do that

and another thing xD my notebook has floppy drive if it helps

[QUOTE=xDinichx;2410238]its worth a try cause i dont know if it can boot from USB… could u tell me how to do that[/quote]What equipment is available to you? Do you have another computer, possibly with a floppy drive also?

and another thing xD my notebook has floppy drive if it helps
I don’t think, this will help. If you have only that laptop with broken HDD, then I would try to install Puppy Linux on USB: http://www.puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2410064]…Seriously? No 2,5" HDDs with IDE interface available? :confused: Your laptop should be able to handle up to 120GB. And if you have a new laptop, you can install that HDD into an USB enclosure for backups etc.

Michael[/QUOTE][I]mciahel[/I], don’t beelieve all you read. I just googled for 2 mins;
http://www.arhiteh.hr/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=111
Croatia is not at end of World, (Ehh, soon a EU member). :wink:

[B]@ xDinichx[/B] What’s wrong with your DVD/CDRW combo? For 400Kn you can get a very good Optiarc DVD burner, linky. :smiley:
400 kuna = ~ 55 Euro.

Note, I don’t know or understand croatian language but Babelfish and Google translate is our friend. :cool:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2410251][I]mciahel[/I], don’t beelieve all you read. I just googled for 2 mins;[/quote]I didn’t want to directly falsify his assumption, so I asked only :smiley:

[B]@ xDinichx[/B] What’s wrong with your DVD/CDRW combo?
As far as I have understood: nothing. Only the HDD is broken. No idea if he is ready to spend 499 Kn for a 120 GB HDD.

And a Linux Live disc will run slow if there are only 256 MB RAM (minus shared memory for VGA) are available. I expect tiny systems like Puppy or DSL being faster on such hardware :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2410253]I didn’t want to directly falsify his assumption, so I asked only :smiley: [/QUOTE]Placing me at frontline, heh. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2410253]And a Linux Live disc will run slow if there are only 256 MB RAM (minus shared memory for VGA) are available. I expect tiny systems like Puppy or DSL being faster on such hardware :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE][I]mciahel[/I], good point. :iagree:

My son has the very same amount of RAM on his QP Armada PII (not at all the same as OP) and he has no problems to run latest Ubuntu live-CD.
Linux software does’t limit your handling when you’r low on ram in the same way as Windoze “dedicated” crap does.

BTW, maybe someone can help OP to edit “sitck” to “stick” (me thinks he had in mind anyway). Thanks.

i have that one laptop, on PC without floppy, and one with floppy…

And i dont wanna spend so much money xD Cause maybe ill get new notebook so i just wanna turn this one into DOS games playing center xd

[QUOTE=xDinichx;2410420]i have that one laptop, on PC without floppy, and one with floppy…[/QUOTE]Then get “HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool” (google for it). Additionally you need the files from a DOS boot floppy.
The HP Tool is the easiest way to create a bootable USB stick with DOS.

You may also search the web for BartPE on USB. :cool:

And i dont wanna spend so much money xD Cause maybe ill get new notebook so i just wanna turn this one into DOS games playing center xd
Maybe a used HDD (with somewhat higher risk) is another option.

Michael

[QUOTE=pinto2;2410257] maybe someone can help OP to edit “sitck” to “stick”[/QUOTE] Fixed.

hmm so could u explain me how…
i donwload Hp disk storage tool and what then??
And where can i get those dos files…

is there any tutorial…

Any Michael… tnx very much for help… sory for bothering you xD

[QUOTE=xDinichx;2410471]hmm so could u explain me how…
i donwload Hp disk storage tool and what then??[/quote]Then run it. The software is self-explaining.

And where can i get those dos files…
From the MS-DOS floppy lying in your drawer. :wink:

Michael

hmm… what if i dont have one of these xD…
can i donwload them and put in one directory and check that option
if yes
where can i find them and which version do i pick?