Windows movie center wtv files convert to dvr files?

vbimport

Hope this is the place to ask!!! Am trying to convert Windows media files (wtv ) files to play and edit and dub to DVR files. Add the dvd converted to my Magnavox DVR 537 model so as to edit them and dub to the hard drive on this unit. Some converters I have tried will not play when I convert to mp4 ; mp2 ; movie file; .
So what should I convert them to , so as to use them on the DVR maching.
Thanks, and hope to get used to being in the right place to ask questions and find the answer.

Tom

Are you trying to convert .wtv to .dvr-ms? In Windows 7, you can right click on a .wtv file and convert to .dvr-ms. This works in Windows 8 as well, but Windows Media Center has to be added in, and it is no longer free.

Most people who edit .wtv or .dvr-ms do so on their computer. There is a program called VideoReDo TV Suite which is designed to work with them. Not free, but if you only have a few .wtv files to edit, there is a free trial available for this program.

If neither of these answers are what you are looking for, I’d suggest asking in the videohelp.com forums, or wait a bit and see what others here might have to suggest.

@ Kerry56 , Do you know if AVStoDVD will convert a .wtv file to DVD compliant ?

I have a couple of the Magnavox 515 units which are just older & have a smaller HDD.
I think the only way to get video to the HDD is by Dubbing.
Usually this would be from a DVD disc.
It can do this from a DV device like a camcorder but I don’t think that would help in this case.

@cholla
No, I don’t know if AVStoDVD can handle .wtv files. I’ve rarely used Windows Media Center for captures.

@ Kerry, I completely disabled WMC on my OS. That shows my fellings for it.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2713243]Are you trying to convert .wtv to .dvr-ms? In Windows 7, you can right click on a .wtv file and convert to .dvr-ms. This works in Windows 8 as well, but Windows Media Center has to be added in, and it is no longer free.

Most people who edit .wtv or .dvr-ms do so on their computer. There is a program called VideoReDo TV Suite which is designed to work with them. Not free, but if you only have a few .wtv files to edit, there is a free trial available for this program.

If neither of these answers are what you are looking for, I’d suggest asking in the videohelp.com forums, or wait a bit and see what others here might have to suggest.[/QUOTE]
" hello Kerry 56, I am trying to get my movie to the Dvr; Magnavox 437 so I can edit and dub the movie to the hard drive of the set. Then I can edit and dub and save 3 movies on 1 dvd-r disk. I have about 500 movies saved this way that I have saved on the 537. Now when I convert the .wtv file to movie and put it on a dvd, it will not show up to dub or edit, I can play it, but nothing more. Also I use a dvd=rw till I get 3 on there and with my roxio creator 2012, I can copy to dvd-r and final it.
Hope this helps me to help you help me LOL

Thanks
Tom

Wtv and dvr-ms are basically mpeg2 video in special container formats developed by Microsoft. Though I’m not sure of the the audio, its probably mp2 or ac3.

Download the trial for VideoReDo TV Suite. Import the wtv file into it and have it export the file as mpeg2. Then try importing this into your player/dvr.

There is also this tool, which I have just now found and never used: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MC-TVConverter

It is free to use.

I have to ask is the problem with just the one .wtv file ?
Or has this just started with all .wtv files ?

I suggest trying with some of the .wtv files you have already had success with & see if your 537 can still dub them to the HDD.
This sounds like a firmware or hardware malfunction to me.

Or the DVD RW has became damaged in some way & the unit will no longer read it. At least well enough to dub it.

@ Kerry , AFAIK my similar units will only accept DVD compliant folders & files for dubbing. These have to be dubbed from a DVD .
The only other way is to use the DV-in from a camcorder or similar device. I guess if a computer had a card with a DV-out this might be able to be done from a computer. In that case a different file type might be able to work. I don’t have that kind of set up so I can’t say.

VideoRedo TV Suite can author them to dvd-video format if that is what he needs.

Or if he uses the other tool to go to mpeg2, he can author that easily enough to dvd-video using AVStoDVD or any number of other tools. But I’m basically shooting in the dark here, not knowing the exact format he needs to import into this machine.

It just seems silly to do all his editing on the dvr and not in software on the computer when starting with a wtv file, but that is his customary working path and I’m sure he is used to it.

You can use Windows DVD maker or just do it from inside Windows Media Center to make it a DVD.

I haven’t tried this but I think with the right video & sound card in his PC he could output from that to the RCA jacks or SV input to one of this type unit.
I use the RCA jacks to input from my sat receiver to the HDD. So I think this would work about the same but would need to be done in real time.
Or as above with a DV-cable . I didn’t look to see if any video cards have those as an output.
From a DVD RW or just a R high speed dub can be used so this is the way I would go.
The OP posted he is using Roxio Creator.That wouldn’t be my choice as I’ve had problems with Roxio software. If he has been getting the results he wants with it on previous dubs then it should still work.

That’s why I think the DVD RW may have gone bad .
Do you think there could be a form of copy protection on the .wtv file ?
If there is then I think this unit would reject that.

Windows 7 on my laptop was able to use Windows DVD maker .
Vista on my main computer Windows DVD maker wouldn’t accept the .wtv file.
So I guess you need Windows 7 Windows DVD maker .
BTW I found the .wtv I used as a sample file on Windows 7.

If using Windows Media Center in windows7 with a TV tuner card to record the easiest way to convert to MP4 is using a free program called “MCE buddy”

The free version is the next to most recent release, the most recent stable release is paid version only

Does handbrake work for this?

[QUOTE=dreallee;2743257]Does handbrake work for this?[/QUOTE]

No. Not if you are asking about the original question.

Handbrake converts various types of video files to H264 video in either mp4 or mkv formats.

If you are asking if Handbrake can take .wtv files as input, I’d have to say I don’t know. Haven’t tried it.

I just dropped a WTV on HandBrake and it seems to accept it.

The top version of video redo can edit and convert WTV files as long as they aren’t protected and works great if you can afford it. I’ve been using it since I got my HDHomeRun Prime cable card HDTV TV recorder.
Some of the other suggestion work too but I always kept finding certain captures that just would convert properly and I’ve used the lesser version of video redo for years so I upgraded and got a break on price for upgrading.
It can convert them to just about any other format you want and the ones where all your really doing is changing the container and not really re encoding it works pretty fast. It can edit commercials and do batch conversions and auto detect commercials and mark them for deletion too.
I just go through after it’s done and check the edits and fix any flubs then let it do it’s thing.
Like said try the free trial and see if it’s OK for you and worth the price, plus all the free options and maybe one of them will work OK for you for nothing:cool: