Windows Messenger

vbimport

Im using Windows XP Pro and i connect to the internet via MSN Explorer. Everytime i start up MSNExplorer it opens Windows Messenger, microsoft's answer to AIM (Eventhough i hate AOL i do like AIM) but i dont want windows mesenger to start. I ve looked through my computer but i cant seem to find a way to get rid of it

type this in the run line
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

ntloser, this is interesting - where can we find more info on this, as applicable to XP? I’m thinking I should get XP loaded on one of my hard drive partitions for experimental purposes (what I’ve seen of XP hasn’t impressed me so far, but I don’t want to be stuck up on 98 and labeled a stubborn ‘old timer’ even if I may well in fact be one :bigsmile: )

Anyway, for those who didn’t know, with Windows 98 (I presume many folks here still use that tried and true OS?) you can do similar things by getting into Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information/Tools/System Configuration Utility/Startup and unchecking the items that get loaded automatically…

Isn’t there a similar utility in Win XP Pro?

the sysconfig utility is still in XP pro, but you can only stop it from starting up, but i wanted to stop it from running when you open MSNExplorer. Im going to try NTloser’s suggestion

I found this info here on CD Freaks.

Typing that in the commmand line will uninstall messenger.

ntloser’s suggestion worked well, but now MSN Explorer shows this when i run it

“Msn messenger service is not installed on this machine. It is a critical part of MSN explorer and must be repaired before you can use MSN Explorer again. We would like to repair it for you now.”

It says that after i ran that INF line and now i cant get into it and its the only way i can check my mail. The only reason i use this piece of shit prog is because none of the other versions of MSN are supported in WinXP.

Normally id just close messenger when im done connecting to the net, but now the Exit in the pop up menu is greyed out and it wont go away! BAH.

Hmm it appears that MSN explorer is harsh? If you switch to regular Internet Explorer you will not have this problem. Is there any reason why you are using MSN Explorer instead of regular IE?

Do you want to re-install messenger?

my ISP is MSN. I wish i could get out of it but i signed up for it at bestbuy a year ago. Im still kicking myself for it.

No not really, but if i dont i cant get to my mailbox.

As soon as i find my drivers online im going back to windows 98…

If you edit this file “SYSOC.INF” .

use notepad to replace the word “hide” with a blank space. Then you will have more options under Add/ Remove Windows components.

Just because you are using MSN as your ISP doesnt mean you have to use their software.

i feel pretty stupid right now.
I completely forgot about using IE’s dialup to connect to MSN.
<bashes head against keyboard>

Now you would be my GOD if you could tell me how to kill the little pop-up ballons in XP

The easiest way is to get Tweak UI for XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

O no, TweakUI… I remember my first escapades with that for win98… the horror…so many formats…

Use regedit

The Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create a new DWORD value, name it EnableBalloonTips, and set it equal to 0. If EnableBalloonTips is already there and equal to 1, set it equal to 0. Quit the registry editor, log off, and log back on.

thanks a lot for everything i hope it helps some one out online, but as for me im downloading my drivers for good ole’ win98 as we speak. you’ve all been a HUGE help and thanks!

You can wipe Windows Messenger from XP with a simple hack, and yet MS will defy you with a ‘Critical Update’. That’s how desperate they are to force this little Trojan on you. This is a tip on how to uninstall it otherwise it will run no matter what you do.

Use a text editor to open C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf, and change msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 to msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7

That’s it. Messenger will now appear in the add/remove application under Windows Components where you can uninstall it.

I stole this quote from another website, but it should work

Try here:http://www.tweakxp.com

Every tip and trick u’ll ever need for XP,every help site.

There’s even a forum.:wink:

If i ever install a partition with XP on it i’ll be sure to check back here. Thanks a lot for all the helpful information!

But now that im back with good old fashioned windows 98 im seeing less errors and my computer goes faster (not to mention the oh so simplistic yet incredibly powerful DOS) I think ill stick with 98 for a while before i think about “upgrading” to winXP