Windows Media Player/DVD

I burned movies (AVCHD format) onto a DVD+R and can now play it on my standalone DVD player and my computer (Vista) and my laptop (XP, WMP 9.0) with no problem. My wife takes the DVD to work and tries to play it on her computer (XP/2000, WMP 9.0) and she gets ‘Windows cannot open this file’ message. How could a DVD play on one system with WMP 9.0 and not another with the same WMP?

Bad drive at work or software conflict.

It’s also possible the media is questionable and the drive is less tolerant or not compatible, tho that seems less likely since the disc plays in other sources with no problems.

Try a different media player, like Media Player Classic HomeCinema, or VLC. Both are free to download and use.

www.videolan.org

That format is basically bd HD so not surprising most normal players wont play it. I use it a lot to do my HDTV caps to DVD so I can play it later on my Blu ray player and HDTV out front. Because I have the Cyberlink hi def suite and VLC and other players sometime it will play fine with the media player, VLC, and I think IRFanview when the disk is sitting in the machine that made it, but I don’t think it will play on others without some sort of player that knows what to do with the HD video like VLC does.
VLC will play about 90% of the videos out there if you want to use one do it all program.

Thanks for the info guys. Here’s what I got so far. I burned another DVD with the AVCHD format (.m2ts). The files that are written to the DVD are then .vob and .bup files. These DVDs seem to play OK on the TVs I’ve tried however, various computers are still having issues. What is frustrating is that the DVD will play fine on my WinXP laptop that has Windows Media Player 9 here at home, but will not play on a similar system at work that also has WMP 9. Instead I get a message that says: Windows cannot open this file (.BUP). Windows needs to know what program created it…

[QUOTE=bowlerman;2292635]I burned movies (AVCHD format) onto a DVD+R and can now play it on my standalone DVD player and my computer (Vista) and my laptop (XP, WMP 9.0) with no problem. My wife takes the DVD to work and tries to play it on her computer (XP/2000, WMP 9.0) and she gets ‘Windows cannot open this file’ message. How could a DVD play on one system with WMP 9.0 and not another with the same WMP?[/QUOTE]

Here a little inside tip that you might now know is that your IT department most likely disable WMP ability to play DVD at work. One should be able to figure that one out and why. They pay one to work not watch movie at work. They own the hardware and software at work so they determine what is allowed. If you want to watch your own movie it’s either on your own laptop or home computer or standalone at home.