Windows Media Player/AVI problem

vbimport

When I play avi files in WMP the screen goes scrambled but all other video files are OK. I downloaded a codec ( might have been divx 4 not sure ) , I think this may be causing the problem . thanks in advance

Hope this helps http://www.hidebehind.com/496A2A8C

Hi janvoh and welcome to the cdfreaks forum,

you may have read in our rules that crossposting is not allowed here. If you like to have a thread moved then please contact a moderator or administrator of the forum.

I hope this doesn’t happen again.

The other thread has been deleted.

cu around

You need to run GSPOT against your avi file. I’m betting that it is divx or xvid and I don’t believe those work on WMV.

No probs mate.

Thanks harley , neat program I tried it & codec was installed . Just downloaded DIVX again… problem now solved. :doh: Cheers .

Strange thing happened there … screenshot I took of avi not playing now has blank screen in WMP. :confused:

[QUOTE=janvoh;1742263]Thanks harley , neat program I tried it & codec was installed . Just downloaded DIVX again… problem now solved. :doh: Cheers .[/QUOTE]

hey, i have the same issue. i just bought a digital camcorder and my files used to be able to play, after some computer difficulties with user accounts it stoped playing the video and only showed the sound. i just downloaded the DIVX codec from download.com
at
http://www.download.com/DivX-Free-Codec/3000-2140_4-10695031.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10695032
after i installed it, windows media player just stoped working when i tryed to open an avi file. before it would only play the sound. i uninstalled it. and the sound will play again but there is still no video. a program came with the camera called cyberlink power director, and that used to be able to open the files too, at the same time windows media player stoped working power director could no longer play these videos. anyone got any suggestions?

You can either use System Restore to restore back to when things worked, or you can uninstall all the crap you have installed, then reinstall PowerDVD and see if it works…

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2124103]You can either use System Restore to restore back to when things worked, or you can uninstall all the crap you have installed, then reinstall PowerDVD and see if it works…[/QUOTE]

the thing is, i have vista, and its system restore wont let me go back more than 5 days, and ive had this problem for 10 days. i dont know how to get back!

i uninstalled powerDicrector and then Reinstalled it, but it still will not work. the files work fine on the camera, i just put the files back on the SD card and put it back into the camera, the files work fine! i just cant get them to work on the computer. so Corruption of my files has been ruled out.

i tryed using a file conversion software, but even then the software didnt produce the files! i think thats just the program i chose though.

thankyou but any other ideas?

p.s. i have power director not power Dvd

Try installing VLC and see if it will playback the files.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2124531]Try installing VLC and see if it will playback the files.[/QUOTE]

i found a disc in my room that had the codec on it. all better lol. thanks though.