Windows media player 11

vbimport

i have windows vista ultimate. now in my windows media player when i download films /movies from my computer. some will go through ,error comes up the file is not known to the media player or the codec is incorrect.(have you seen this error)is there away this can be fixed …first how do i find out what type of file it is.and how do i find out what type of codec i need.?will windows help me with this.without being to technical.so i can easily correct it,

You could download a coded pack or find out what codec you need by analysing the file. There are tons of codec packs out there.

If I can put my two cents into this, I would say forget WMP, download some free player like VLC or KMPlayer.
You will be much happier.
I never use WMP for the same reasons you are experiencing.

It’s worth installing FFDShow (link), which is a codec pack that will most likely will have codecs to play the affected files.

VLC (link) is my my preferred media player and seems to be able to play pretty much every media file I’ve tried playing on it.

I’m not a fan of codec packs but I do use this one Combined-Community-Codec-Pack it has a lite version of FFDShow in it.
This may show the one WMP is using.I just found this check so I’m not sure about it yet
But it won’t hurt anything to use it.
Run dvdupgrd /detect

Download and install klmcodec570.exe or latest version.

[QUOTE=bbdunford;2492309]i have windows vista ultimate. now in my windows media player when i download films /movies from my computer. some will go through ,error comes up the file is not known to the media player or the codec is incorrect.(have you seen this error)is there away this can be fixed …first how do i find out what type of file it is.and how do i find out what type of codec i need.?will windows help me with this.without being to technical.so i can easily correct it,[/QUOTE]

I had WMP 11 on my XP pro sp3 with Cole2k advance pack and it worked well together playing any kinda formats without any problems. The problem I had with VLC is it’s inability to properly display subtitles in the correct area rather bunching them together. In WMP they were placed in the correct areas.