Windows Media Player 10 - Finding CD information

I have started to rip all my CD’s (hundreds) and use Windows Media Player 10 for this.

Doing so, I ran into following problem:
The program uses Internet sources to find the the album title, artist and the songs, but not always. I have CD’s it doesn’t know at all and CD’s where the retrieved contents is simply not correct or incomplete (for instance, just a few song titles)

Question 1: Are there alternative places to find better information and how do I let WMP10 find them?
Question 2: WMP10 allows me to change the song title and the artist but not to change the album information. That should be possible by “changing codes” but I have no idea how to do that other than in Windows Explorer (change tag). Is there a good way to do this within WMP10?

Thanks
rob

Is it important that you use WMP10? I use CDex to rip all my CDs to my HDD, and that gets the album info from the internet too (from freedb, I believe) - I may have to double-check that all the titles are spelled properly, but other than that, it works like a dream.

Sorry I can’t help with WMP10, though.

Not really, I use WMP10 because it interfaces so nicely with my MP3-player and it works fast and smart.
My problem especially occurs with CD’s housing collections issued for certain occasions and with CD’s that I bought overseas (Latin America, Asia).
Anyway, I will look for CDex and give that a try.
Rob

Ahhh, gotcha - I never used WMP for that kind of stuff, so I was curious!

You’d be surprised what’s in the database CDex uses, my mum has some really obscure stuff re-issued from the 60s - and CDex found 97% of that stuff.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Ok, I did a quick try.
For one thing, it is much, much slower than WMP10. The test track I did took over 6 minutes with CDex versus about 2 minutes with WMP10 (same compression settings, same slow computer).
I tried two “problem” CD’s: one (Dutch) seemed better, but not correct either and the other one (Brasilian) was unknown on both.
The correction possibilities are definitely easier on CDex, but it does not import the nice pictures (album cover) that WMP10 does, which although useless for all practical purposes, look nice on my MP3-player.
So, I guess I have not found a solution yet.

Oh dear! Well, worth a go, I guess! Hopefully someone who uses WMP10 will be along soon.

:slight_smile:

Repeat posting

I have started to rip all my CD’s (hundreds) and use Windows Media Player 10 for this.

Doing so, I ran into following problem:
The program uses Internet sources to find the the album title, artist and the songs, but not always. I have CD’s it doesn’t know at all and CD’s where the retrieved contents is simply not correct or incomplete (for instance, just a few song titles)

Question 1: Are there alternative places to find better information and how do I let WMP10 find them?
Question 2: WMP10 allows me to change the song title and the artist but not to change the album information. That should be possible by “changing codes” but I have no idea how to do that other than in Windows Explorer (change tag). Is there a good way to do this within WMP10?

Thanks
rob

Haven’t you read the forum rules? Double-posting is not allowed. :wink:

Thank you.
Rob

Just don’t use WMP for this, there are better alternatioves as suggested in this thread.

First of all, I argumented before why I was using WMP10. A calculation tells me that I am talking about hours, if not days, more work with CDex.
Secondly, and more important to me, I asked and would still like to know how to influence the place where WMP looks for its references and also, how to simply change the album name within WMP. The latter can be done, because it is in the Internet write-up, but I do not how to arrive in that screen.

Thank you for your patience
Rob