Windows ME CD-ROM probs

Hi i just installed Windows ME (I know its crap) and i turned off the auto insert notification. Now when i insert a game CD and want to install it i click on My Computer and then hit F5 to refresh but the CD-ROM icon doesnt change to that of the game/app i want to install and i have to double click the CD-ROM and click the set up icon.

I havea SCSI Yamaha CD-RW and i have ticked the Sync data transfer on the CD-ROM properties in the Device Manager and still it doesnt work.

Why wont the CD Icon appear on My Computer folder? The CD’s name appears but the plain silver CD icon is all that shows.

Any help given would be greatfully received.

Thanx. :slight_smile:

guesses i think the autorun specifies the icon to be used to show the cd - but thats only a guess. open the autorun.inf file in notepad, and see for yourself what im talking about :wink:

Thanx 4 ur reply, i know what your saying but the thing is when i had Windows 98SE installed and i turned the Auto Insert Notfication off i was still able to hit the Refresh key in the My Computer folder and the CD Icon changed to that of the game but in me it doesnt change to the games icon, I dont know why???

Any ideas what i can do to cure this guys?

i think it just might be a side effect of turning off auto insert notification, cuz the icon only appears when the cd’s autorun.inf tells which icon to use. since disabling auto insert notification disables the reading and running of the autorun.inf, the drive has no idea which icon to use.

Thanx 4 ur reply AZImmortal, that sucks how come this didnt happen on Win98SE when i disabled AIN is it a bug in ME or something?

It also doesnt happen in win2k or winXP, I dual boot with both and have autorun disabled in both. Icon games and all still show. Maybe it is a bug of the few hundred winME has. I simply refuse to use WinME esp since MS admitted that it has a large memory hole. That POS O/S can just sit there and crash from out of nowehre into a BSOD.

Originally posted by xtacydima
It also doesnt happen in win2k or winXP, I dual boot with both and have autorun disabled in both. Icon games and all still show. Maybe it is a bug of the few hundred winME has. I simply refuse to use WinME esp since MS admitted that it has a large memory hole. That POS O/S can just sit there and crash from out of nowehre into a BSOD.

I couldnt agree with you more m8. :slight_smile: