Windows Loader for VS02, and back again

Ok,

I played around a bit this afternoon and hacked the Flash Utility V1.048A windows firmware loader from Liteon for the LTR-40125S (ZS0J.exe) via Hex Workshop, and can now go from LTR-40125S ZS0J to LTR-48125W VS02, and back again without ever leaving Windows or rebooting. If you want, I can make this for any bin file for the LTR- “5” series to go up and back again from within Windows without rebooting or using mtk flash, etc.

This IS the Offical Liteon Windows Firmware Loader I hacked (the one that came with ZS0J) so it is not a home-grown loader.

The ONLY caveat is when going from ZS0J to VS02, I had to trick the loader by making it think it was going to ZS0Z–as V is obviously a lower value than Z, thus the loader was prompting with “you already have the latest version” error. This is ONLY a LOADER issue and after the flash, EVERYTHING shows up as VS02. The ZS0Z value I put in—arbitrarily—only tricks the loader. You will see on the confirmation screen “Update FW:ZS0J to FW:ZS0Z”. Choose yes, as this firmware IS the VS02.bin which I got from this site. I could not figure a way around this other than naming it ZS0Z to capture ALL ZSxx firmwares. AGAIN, this will not load a “ZS0Z” firmware, as it does not exist and is used only to trick the loader (inevitably, I will see threads with people freaking over this b/c they can’t read–well, can’t please em all).

When going from VS02 to ZS0J or any other ZSxx, I did not have to trick loader and the conversion confirmation screen reads properly.

I emailed the two loaders I thought were most useful to OC-Freak and am hopeful he will post them soon. For you LTR-32125W guys, I can do the same for you as well–I think, as I don’t have a drive to test on, but, the hacking was fairly straight forward and not drive specific.

BTW, OC-Freak or any other moderator, I go by PorchSong, but my activation email never came–or I most likely accidently deleted it–and can not use my nickname (as it is awaiting activation). Would you please resend the activation email, or activate my nick, so I don’t have to use RowJimmy any more…ty

why dont u use mtkflash and his firmware files to do all of your downgrading firmware etc… ?

thats what i do :slight_smile:

HI !!!
Good work !!!
Doing it in Windows is much easier and faster as in Dos.
Gräfdig

edit it turns out that this is not true. I’ve been playing with so many firmwares and flash utilities recently. I’m gonna keep playing though. Sorry if anyone got excited, RowJimmy/Porchsong’s way is the best way so far.

I might have modified it so that you don’t have to fool the program at all. So what you see is what you get, and you can even downgrade and stuff. I don’t have any way to test it though :confused:

Originally posted by GrefdigGloner
HI !!!
Good work !!!
Doing it in Windows is much easier and faster as in Dos.
Gräfdig

yes your right it is easier in windows!

but when u know how to use mtkflash it works well, i trust it more than modifying windows firmware :slight_smile:

plus if mtkflash messes up u can still get your drive back and running :slight_smile:
where if somehow windows firmware update messes up i think your screwed :frowning:

Originally posted by dhc014
I might have modified it so that you don’t have to fool the program at all. So what you see is what you get, and you can even downgrade and stuff. I don’t have any way to test it though :confused:

send me this firmware i will test it :slight_smile:
it is for lite-on 24102b right?

Originally posted by NBR
where if somehow windows firmware update messes up i think your screwed :frowning:

You can always fall back on MKflash, it will work in all cases, even if the windows firmware loader failed!

Originally posted by NBR
[B]

yes your right it is easier in windows!

but when u know how to use mtkflash it works well, i trust it more than modifying windows firmware :slight_smile:

plus if mtkflash messes up u can still get your drive back and running :slight_smile:
where if somehow windows firmware update messes up i think your screwed :frowning: [/B]

NBR,

Because, I have Windows XP and get sick of booting from floppy to change firmwares. I like staying in Windows.

And no, if your firmware fails in Windows, you CAN use mtkflash to bring you back. Mtkflash is that good. So no worries there. You will not be screwed.

Now when you do the flash upgrade/downgrade in windows, remember that your device manager will not show the right drive until you reboot–whereas ALL cd burning programs will. EX. If you started with LTR-40125S ZSxx and upgrade to LTR-48125W VS02, device manager will still show LTR-40125S, but Nero will show LTR-48125W VS02. Until you reboot windows won’t show name change, but rest assured, your burning programs will burn at 48X, so a reboot IS NOT neccessary.

Also, the hack is “completely” safe. I stripped out the .bin file from the ZS0J.exe and replaced with the .bin file from VS02–they are exactly the same size. Other than replacing a couple flags in the loader (mainly drive names and firmware range names) there is really not much to it. I will put up a guide how to make your own once OC-FREAK gets my email and tests.

It really is incredibly easy to do. Also, I can not take all the credit for this as I found a guide where a guy did this to a TDK drive. I can not give him credit for his work as he did not put his name on guide. But I did find the link this morning. His guide is useful but not all entirely accurate–it would not work on the Liteon loaders, but it took very little messing around to figure it out. His help for me came in marking the hex range for the bin file–but on a liteon it was slightly different and if you strickly followed his guide, it would not work, at all.

Originally posted by dhc014

If you can help, fantastic, but again after upgrading to VS02, it WILL read VS02 everywhere on your 'puter. This is only a work around for the Liteon Failsafe built into the Windows loader so people don’t accidently downgrade their drive. The loader sees the value of VS02 and compares that to value your drive is reporting ZSxx and thinks you are tyring to downgrade. So, I trick the loader by thinking it is upgrading to ZS0Z which is a higher value that ZS0A or ZS0J and the loader continues.

Now let me make this statement, I DO NOT TOUCH OR MODIFY THE .BIN FILE AT ALL–other than imporitng it untouched into the loader. I only play with the loader code.

Ok, OC got my name switched to PorchSong, so if you want me to email the loaders to you, either p.m. me or leave email link. You need to be able to recieve an email that will take almost a 1 meg attachment. Or I guess I could devide them up for two 500k emails.

Also, I only have the loaders for the LTR-40125S right now…easy to switch to other models though.

cool…when can we download it ???

Originally posted by NBR
[B]

send me this firmware i will test it :slight_smile:
it is for lite-on 24102b right? [/B]

Bah, I’m an idiot

Yeah, I know what you’re changing. It really is not related to the actual firmware and subsequently is very safe to do. If there are any problems, then you can always use mtkflash, this way is just easier for some.

DHC,

You using the TDK loader?

I read your other thread where it (TDK) does not care which direction you are taking your Firmware update. The Liteon loader v 1.048a is picky about which way you go. It will only allow you to increase your hex values, i.e. VSxx to ZSxx and not the other way unless you trick it. I know (by trial and error) that the loader queries the drive to see what version it reports back, thus if the Firmware is of a lower name value it fails–again to safeguard people from downgrading. Really not a big deal, as my trick dupes only the loader; and the proper .bin firmware installs with correct signage. Of course as a by product, going from VSxx to ZSxx is easy as the loader thinks it is increasing in value and not downgrading. I did have to change the drive name in the revert loader to the LTR-48125W and adjust the firmware version hex range to include VS01 or it was
erroring out with “unable to find drive.” But only on the revert.

I surmised that since the firmware .bin within the loader was untouched that this could be performed on any drive with its appropriate loader, and am glad you had a drive to test it on.

You can make the tdk version utility that does check if you already have the newest, but allows you to downgrade anyways flash Lite-On drives. I am currently working on a windows utility to flash the Sony CRX195E1 with newer Lite-ON firmware modified for the Sony. I really need to find a place for these pics I have that demonstrate.

DHC,

I might tinker with the TDK loader, but not really interested in changing all the TDK flags–besides, peeps might freakout if they see a TDK loader while trying to change their Liteon.

But you have to admit, it is VERY, very nice to jump from VS02 to ZS0J or ZS0A without leaving windows or rebooting. And, have you noticed how much quicker the windows loader flashes the drive verses mtkflash?–like half the time. I am not dogging mtkflash at all. That proggie has saved my ass a few times. But I only use it now for extracting .bins and reviving the drive from bad flashes.

I’ve never had to use mtkflash on my CD-RW drive :bigsmile:

edit
Whoops. It turns out that I was really fooling the program after all.

On the flipside, if anyone ever wants to turn their TDK 241040B into a Lite-ON 24102B, it can be done. The reverse can be done too… :cool:

OC said he would post these windows loaders as soon as he has time to test them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can crank these out in less than 2 minutes. I believe I can do this for any model as well.

@PorchSong
is the method here OK if you want to make the flashers urself?

if yes, i am gonna try

Shuebhussain,

I will not post instructions in how I modified the Window Flashers out of respect for OC-Freak.

Either email me, or pm me and I will do send you how I did it. I will tell you that it is incredibly easy once you know what to look for.

Originally posted by RowJimmy
[B]So, I trick the loader by thinking it is upgrading to ZS0Z which is a higher value that ZS0A or ZS0J and the loader continues.

Now let me make this statement, I DO NOT TOUCH OR MODIFY THE .BIN FILE AT ALL–other than imporitng it untouched into the loader. I only play with the loader code. [/B]
How do you make the loader think it is upgrading to ZS0Z, and for a 40125W what would be the imaginery ‘trick’ f/w - WS06 ??

Also why are you talking about bin files? If u want to flash via windows bin files should have nothing to do with it - i thought mtkflash is the only app u need bin firmwares for???