Windows install problem

Don’t know if anyone can help me. I have a cp I had built by Intrex a few years ago. It just starting rebooting. Wouldn’t make it to the DT, then boot.
I tried everything possible. Finally got mad and did a fresh install of windows and everything worked fine again for about 3 days. So frustrated, I don’t know what happened, but I was playing a game and it started acting funny, rebooted and saw a blue screen for one second…couldn’t read it.

Wasn’t rebooting this time, just would lock up and screen go black. I tried safe mode, everything I could think of for a minor cp person. Finally get mad and try another fresh install of windows, full format. This time it gets about 50% loaded and then get one invalid windows image for one file after the other. Says check CD is in, ect. It fails, so I escape the process. Boots up to the point says something about a missing file and stops, reboot same thing.

Read something about malware and to create a disc to use to start it up, but not sure how to do that. Also, I really screwed up. I was cleaning my WIN CD and broke the dern thing trying to clean it hard, so probably screwed.

It did do the format, then while doing the file thing and messed up, so I quit the install. So is my hard drive still formatted. Any idea’s. I’m disabled, broke and can’t afford to have it fixed right now and was hoping there was something possible.

Linux?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2209246]Linux?[/QUOTE]

Windows XP

[QUOTE=Armistead1424;2209300]Windows XP[/QUOTE]

I meant linux as an answer to your problem. If you can’t boot your computer and you broke the install CD and you don’t want to spend money trying to have your PC fixed, I don’t really have any other suggestions for you. If you have the XP license key somewhere maybe you can contact micrsosoft for a replacement CD, I don’t know if they do this, but what do you have to lose?

They do it, but they charge you 35.00USD, mine blew up in my LG 22X drive and they replaced it for 35.00. Nice them eh?:wink:

I’ve got the broken cd and the key. I guess what concerns me is that the windows cd was in perfect shape and just worked fine when I did a fresh install 3 days prior, before it happened again. I did a total format and fresh install, only to have the same thing happen again. I just thought it strange a win cd that worked perfect 3 days before wouldn’t work. I did another total format and half way through all file started coming up as invalid images. That makes me think hardware, but I see no hardware problems anywhere. Hard to believe I got the same malware again 3 days later after a fresh install.

I was hoping there was some way I could create a start up disc that would let me boot into safe mode and run virus checker, ect. Still, I update it and it runs or ran everynight.

Are you saying to try and run Linux as a seperating OS and install it, even with a corrupt windows of some sort still on the drive. As I understand you can run two OS systems and I see in bios where you can do such.

Is there anyway I can totally format windows off my computer before I install linux. Obvious the disc is broke and I can’t boot up to any command. I can boot to where it will read a CD. I had a Vista upgrade CD and tried it. It went through the process like it was going to install, but then will show a bluescreen error, missing sys file of some sort. I hit f8 while Vista was booting and got the screen with all the load options, tried safe mode and still went to the blue screen.

I’ll try a linux install. Hope it functions like windows enough I can understand it. Thanks for your help. Just looking for the cheapest way out. Right now it’s just tough. Things were great before this stupid nerve disease hit me, put me out of work…and you can figure out the rest from there…we lost everything in about 2 years and why stuck in bed, playing my sub game helps pass all the boring time.

The INTREX guy told me he would take a look at it even though my warrenty is out…so maybe he will help me out afterall.

Another option is to install the Windows 7 beta. It’s a big download but it’s free until August 1 2009. You don’t have to remove Windows before you install Linux, and yes you can dual boot, but if your Windows is borked now, there is no reason to. If you want to try Linux, just use the entire disk, the same if you want to try Windows 7. Actually, if you download a live CD of linux you can try it out before you install, it will run from the CD. If you have any questions or need help with the install, post back.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2209704]Another option is to install the Windows 7 beta. It’s a big download but it’s free until August 1 2009. You don’t have to remove Windows before you install Linux, and yes you can dual boot, but if your Windows is borked now, there is no reason to. If you want to try Linux, just use the entire disk, the same if you want to try Windows 7. Actually, if you download a live CD of linux you can try it out before you install, it will run from the CD. If you have any questions or need help with the install, post back.[/QUOTE]

Forgive me for not being smart about these things and dumb question. With this disease, my brain is fogged and it takes awhile to grasp things.

Are you saying I can burn linux or win7beta to a disc on this computer and try to boot it up and install on my other one. obvious I can’t dl anything on my other one. Never burned a cd, but I have one on this one and sure I could figure it out. Is there a link to live linux. I looked at the site and not sure what to use and how many files or patches to load.

Thanks so much for your time.

Yes you can burn linux to a CD and Windows 7 to a DVD because it is a bit larger than linux. If you don’t have a DVD burner then you’ll have to go with linux because it will fit on a CD. Give us some computer specs, CPU (speed) how much ram, size of hard drive, and do you connect to the internet with dial-up, DSL, or cable modem. This will help choose the best linux distribution for your system.

Have you opened the case recently and cleaned all the dust out particularly around the processor.
Remove and replace all the leads to the motherboard and drives etc, to make sure they are seated correctly. Remove the memory and check the contacts, clean if necessary and seat firmly in the slot.
Reboot into bios and set it to the manufacturers settings. Check that the bios can see all your drives.
As you have a licence number see if a friend will lend you their copy of windows. or give you a copy.
There are many boot up repair disc’s on the net google for them and check that the hard drive is ok.
Good luck.

The old one that works is a P4 2.6, 120 gb HD, 2 g ram, has burner and writer on it.

The broke one is AMD64x2 3800, 7800’s SLI, 4 g ram, 250 HD

cable

[QUOTE=weedougie;2209865]Have you opened the case recently and cleaned all the dust out particularly around the processor.
Remove and replace all the leads to the motherboard and drives etc, to make sure they are seated correctly. Remove the memory and check the contacts, clean if necessary and seat firmly in the slot.
Reboot into bios and set it to the manufacturers settings. Check that the bios can see all your drives.
As you have a licence number see if a friend will lend you their copy of windows. or give you a copy.
There are many boot up repair disc’s on the net google for them and check that the hard drive is ok.
Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Tried most of that. May be a hard drive. When the problem started, when it would reboot the hd made a funny whir. However after I did the fresh install of xp, it stopped…

Guess it’s time to haul it off and get it looked at.

Here are a couple of links, one for Ubuntu linux, which is very popular and easy to use, the other for Windows 7 beta. Since you have a 64bit processor, you can download either the 32bit or 64bit version of either one although I would recommend the 32 bit version. If you want to try Windows 7 you will need a DVD burner, for Ubuntu you only need a Cd burner.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx