Windows glitch

Hey all,

I’ve got this weird glitch that I’ve had since a day or two after I reinstalled WinXP on my machine. The top inch or so of my screen is “dead space”. The background is there, but I am unable to move icons and windows into that space. When you maximize a window, it only maximizes to this invisible barrier. Therefore, I lose that inch of viewing space. Fortunately this does not occur during games.

I’ve reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers for my card and tried reinstalling WinXP to no avail. Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem or have suggestions about how to fix this?

Thanks

More help on your system would be nice…what are the specs?

The last time I saw this sort of behaviour here was just moments before the vid card died.

hmmm…try to start once in safe mode…then restart…

or take your vga card out and build it in again

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The last time I saw this sort of behaviour here was just moments before the vid card died.

Pretty strange, as a VGA card really doesn’t know wether it’s drawing a desktop background, or can icon / mouse pointer etc etc… The only thing I can think of, is the RAM of the card that’s not working properly, but on the other hand… how can a card with partually defect memory draw the background? It would’ve been stuck much earlier I think…

Can it perhaps be that there is any software running that uses this upper part of the screen, as has turned “invisible”?

perhaps you also should try an older version of the nvidia drivers

In my case, the desktop looked completly normal, but the cursor was “trapped” in the bottom 2 inches of the screen, the windows got torn and corrupted as I tried to work with it, then when I rebooted the card was DOA.
Good point about the possible software issues. Don’t Office and some others sometimes use the top of the screen for their toolbars and “quick launch” crap?

Ok, to answer some questions:

First of all, I just installed a brand new video card yesterday. I upgraded from a GeForce 2 to a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB card. That didn’t change anything.

My entire system specs: PIII OC’d to 900 mHz (from 800 mHz), Asus P3V133 mobo, 256 MB PC-133 RAM, GeForce 4 mentioned above, Turtle Beach Montego Quadzilla soundcard, and a Linksys 10/100 ethernet card.

I have OfficeXP, but as far as I know, any and all toolbars are turned off.

On another note, the mouse cursor can go up into this dead space, but nothing else. Very peculiar. I’m starting to think the only way to solve this problem is to reformat and do a fresh install - I’ve just been trying to see if there was some other way around this problem, and what caused it in the first place.

edit:

Another thing that just came to mind - once in a while, when a window locks up and I have to alt-ctrl-del to “end process”, it will get rid of this mysterious deadspace. I just did a quick test and I shut down “explorer.exe” and then restarted it and it got rid of the problem. However, I don’t want to have to do this all the time in order to fix it.

Does that help anyone any?

I think the answer is in some piece of software running.

must be

I indeed suspect some strange program to be the cause of this problem.

Try MSConfig (start -> run -> msconfig) to check wether there are some strange programs or processes started with your system. If so, disable them and reboot the machine.

Or are you perhaps using a Windows XP theme, with a “messed up” active desktop?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]I indeed suspect some strange program to be the cause of this problem.

Try MSConfig (start -> run -> msconfig) to check wether there are some strange programs or processes started with your system. If so, disable them and reboot the machine.

Or are you perhaps using a Windows XP theme, with a “messed up” active desktop? [/B]

I did this and tried deactivating a bunch of things, and one of them did it. I startup up now and no dead space at the top of my screen! Most of them I knew I didn’t need, but there was one I wasn’t sure about. Doesn’t seem like I need it right now, however.

Thanks all for the help.

which one was it???

Originally posted by damiandimitri
which one was it???

I disabled the following:

ElbyCheck, CloneCDTray, NeroCheck, nwiz (???), Adobe Gamma Loader, and Norton System Doctor.

nwiz?

never saw that one…strange

nwiz comes with nvidia drivers. Not sure what it does though.

Originally posted by Donald_Duck
nwiz comes with nvidia drivers. Not sure what it does though.

My guess is that it’s the Nvidia Media Center that runs in the system tray, but that didn’t cause the problem as I have it running again with no glitch.

Have you tried disabling active desktop?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Have you tried disabling active desktop?

Not sure what that even is…

Originally posted by crownjules
[B]

Not sure what that even is… [/B]

In folder options, general tab, select classic Windows desktop.
Also in display properties, web tab.