Windows Explorer Window Size problem

Whenever I launch Windows explorer and resize it to take up full screen or a custom size (almost fullscreen), it always resumes a small window size upon next launch.

I have worked with Windows before and on numerous machines, and I happen to know that its supposed to remember its last Window Size and certain properties as such are supposed to retain and open the same way when launched again, even after reboot.

I really don’t wanna reinstall XP for a simple little bug like this.

Anyone know why this is happening or have a solution?
Perhaps a registry tweak?

TIA
:slight_smile:

Works for me:

Resize screen to maximum size (or desired size) in custom size mode (not the maximized size button). Close all other windows and close this resized window last.

This should work for next lauch…probably until some website forces a new window in a particular size…(be sure not to close that last)

I tend to resize the window to waht ever size I need and then make some new ones from it (Ctrl N).

Normally works for me.

Works for me too, on all other machines in the house, and it used to work for me on my machine too, but no longer does.

Don’t think websites have anything to do with it, its a Windows explorer problem, not Internet explorer, even though they are almost the same thing.

I use Window key + e to open it.

[QUOTE=xtacydima;526731]Whenever I launch Windows explorer and resize it to take up full screen or a custom size (almost fullscreen), it always resumes a small window size upon next launch.

I have worked with Windows before and on numerous machines, and I happen to know that its supposed to remember its last Window Size and certain properties as such are supposed to retain and open the same way when launched again, even after reboot.

I really don’t wanna reinstall XP for a simple little bug like this.

Anyone know why this is happening or have a solution?
Perhaps a registry tweak?

TIA
:)[/QUOTE]

I have experienced the same problem for over a year. A friend recommended the following fix (and it has worked for me).

Open a webpage using IE.
Click on a link in the webpage.
If the link does not open full/maximized, then drag it until it is maximized.
Then go back to the original webpage and close it.
Then close the page that you dragged to full view.
Now close the second page that you manually maximized.

Open IE again, then the website and then the same link.
This time the link should open maximized.
All future links should open in the full/maximized view.

Sorry about the non-technical explanation - I’m not a real computer technical guy. Just someone else who is constantly struggling with MS products:)

[QUOTE=rickavon;2571141]I have experienced the same problem for over a year. A friend recommended the following fix (and it has worked for me).

Open a webpage using IE.
Click on a link in the webpage.
If the link does not open full/maximized, then drag it until it is maximized.
Then go back to the original webpage and close it.
Then close the page that you dragged to full view.
Now close the second page that you manually maximized.

Open IE again, then the website and then the same link.
This time the link should open maximized.
All future links should open in the full/maximized view.

Sorry about the non-technical explanation - I’m not a real computer technical guy. Just someone else who is constantly struggling with MS products:)[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to look at the date of the thread?? 2004!! that was like so long ago…they most likely fixed or don’t have that problem anymore…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2571191]Did you happen to look at the date of the thread?? 2004!! that was like so long ago…they most likely fixed or don’t have that problem anymore…[/QUOTE]

You’re right - I didn’t notice the 2004 date. Nonetheless, I have been trying to find a fix to this problem for the last 6 months and I have seen other forums where the same query is made and no suitable fixes were suggested. The problem, at least for some of us, still persists.

If I recall there was a registry edit that prevented explore from resizing but remaining the exact size every time. It would’ve been registry edit or something in the O/S but not sure because I found that when I was doing a search. So you should just do a search about explore re-size problem or something like that and you should come up with some hits. So it would also good in the future since 2004 doing a simple search might have already had a solution on the internet already with someone already having the solution at hand.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2571272]If I recall there was a registry edit that prevented explore from resizing but remaining the exact size every time. It would’ve been registry edit or something in the O/S but not sure because I found that when I was doing a search. So you should just do a search about explore re-size problem or something like that and you should come up with some hits. So it would also good in the future since 2004 doing a simple search might have already had a solution on the internet already with someone already having the solution at hand.[/QUOTE]

What you’ve suggested makes sense. The problem must have been related to something in the OS. I’ll do a search, as you’ve suggested. Thanks for your good suggestion…