Windows explorer is crashing every time I right click or try to rename a file

Hello guys,

My Windows explorer is crashing every time I right click or try to rename a file. I have no Idea what is happening but a window pops up telling me “windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.”

I have done a full virus scan, and nothing.

Please help!

If this is a recent event, try doing a System Restore to a point in time before this behavior started.

Possibly a bad context menu handler

See symptom #6

[B]Link:[/B] http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=burningdvd;2492084]Hello guys,

My Windows explorer is crashing every time I right click or try to rename a file. I have no Idea what is happening but a window pops up telling me “windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.”

I have done a full virus scan, and nothing.

Please help![/QUOTE]

Knowing what version of windows your using also helps to identify what might be the cause as well as a system restore. Also what kinda file are you trying to rename that causes the crash? Sometimes the files your trying to rename if they are corrupted will also cause explorer to crash as well.

Hey guys thanks for everything… I tried the shellExView and turned off all of the things they suggested there and nothing!! I tried to do a system restore but it does not let me go any earlier than the 5th of Feb and the problem was already there…

I noticed some more information, it only seems to happen with video files, and I cant even play ANY video files it makes my windows player crash too…

I am desperate here I think I aged 10 years from the stress this thing has caused me. Please give me more ideas, I need them!

Thanks everyone :smiley:

Can you give us a little more info about your system?
hardware, operating system. How old is it? Have your ever defragmented it…etc?

I think you might be looking at re-installing your OS.

burningdvd Have you tried re-installing or upgrading the Windows Media Player?
It may just need to reload missing / corrupted drivers.

You can try the following to fix the right-click issue.

[ol]
[li]Click Start -> Run[/li][li]Type in: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll[/li][li]Click ‘OK’.[/li][/ol]

The above steps will disable video thumbnail previews, which from my experience tends to cause explorer to crash out or respond slowly when viewing a folder with a large number of video files. To undo the above steps, just repeat them, leaving out ‘/u’ in step 2.

Unfortunately, this will not solve the Windows Media Player issue. Going by what you describe, it appears that you have a bad video codec installed. One thing you can try is installing a codec pack (e.g. FFDShow) and hope that one its codecs will replace the damaged codec. Otherwise, for the time you’ll probably need to spend to trace the culprit, you would be quicker doing a clean install.

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Thanks everyone for your help you guys rock!!!

Special thanks to Sean, I have no idea what I did but after doing your suggestion and re-downloading FFDshow no crashes and the video works!!!

THANKS!!! WOOOOOOOOT WOOOOOOT