Windows Defender receives signatures updates on Windows 7 again, after 3 week pause

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/windows-defender-receives-signatures-updates-on-windows-7-again-after-3-week-pause-84599/

Windows Defender on Windows 7 has not received signature updates for the last three weeks. For a yet unknown reason, Microsoft didn’t update the signatures of the built-in anti-malware application the last 21 days.

Called Out dated O/S. Windows 10 if you configure it right works just like Windows 7 again but then again no one seems to be doing their homework.

It is a supported OS, you would have apoint if this was the middle of 2020, but it’s not.

Yeah, I don’t feel sorry for people still using Windows 7 when that free upgraded lasted til about mid-Jan 2018 before it was no longer available even though I know officially it ended at the end of July 2016. but anyone could still get it til about mid-Jan 2018 for $0.00 if they knew what to do.

basically Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 as long as it supports your hardware as I don’t understand those die hard Windows 7 users who refuse to upgrade to Windows 10 especially when it’s free as even if you wanted to use Windows 7 for as long as possible it would have been wise to take advantage of the free upgrade offer to Win10 so when Windows 7 support ends in Jan 2020 you can then shift over to Windows 10 if you need to as chances are many will still be using the same hardware after Jan 2020. so I never understood those people as it would seem that at the very least would have registered a free Windows 10 copy for their computer even if they wanted to go back to Win7 in the mean-time.

but with that said, it does seem odd MS had a 3 week window where Windows Defender did not receive updates on Windows 7 considering it’s still supported til Jan 2020. seems that could have potentially put many users at risk.

Perhaps they didn’t want to jump thru the Microsoft Hoops to get it, Perhaps they don’t want to sign in to Microsoft adware just to run there OS. Perhaps a lot of little things people didn’t feel like doing for an OS. Nothing is free in Life there is always a cost ,somewhere.

What is worse about that is everyone who buys a PC/laptop these days is paying for a Windows 10 license but they’re still the product when it comes to Windows. And what about those that pay full price for a Windows license? Effectively, in many cases you are paying them to use and sell your data. Makes you think…

If you mean using using a online account for Windows 10 that’s not required as you can skip this during installation.

either way, Windows 7 is pretty much shot not long after Jan 2020 (i.e. no more security updates). so unless they plan on shifting to Linux or something like that, then what else are their choices? ; pretty much Linux or Windows 10. that’s why I don’t get why some would not at least register their copy even if they wanted to go back to Windows 7 in the mean-time. then say Jan 2020 comes and they are still using that computer with Windows 7, they can then shift back to Windows 10 and it will work. or dump it and shift to something like Linux Mint v19.

p.s. I got Linux Mint v19 (which came out recently) on a older laptop (HP DV5-1002nr (which is about 10 years old)) even though I did get Windows 10 registered on it before the mid-Jan 2018 deadline. only real problem with Windows 10 is the right side of the touchpad, which allows scrolling web pages quickly, does not work on Windows 10 where as it does on Mint.

but I guess it depends on what one does with their computer on whether you got to stick with Windows or Linux could be a option. for a basic internet machine, or something thereabouts, Mint is a good choice. but if one plays games, Windows 10 is pretty much inevitable.

I don’t believe Microsoft advertised that very well.

But you still had to make a Microsoft account ( which means ad dollars for them ) to get the " Free " Windows 10

I still know people that are using Windows XP, so I am not sure that is an accurate statement.

You don’t need a online Microsoft account to get Windows 10, at all.

If your on Windows 7 you can simply use the official upgrade tool and it automatically registers a copy of Windows 10 to that PC after the upgrade process (no online account needed), but this ended about mid-Jan 2018 (even though officially was supposed to be the end of July 2016). so when in the future you decide to clean install Windows 10, it automatically activates without you having to do anything besides have a active internet connection and like I was saying, during the clean install (as in wipe the drive and install Windows) you can simply select a offline account which functions just like Windows 7 with the basic offline user account with the usual username/password you create. a online account is optional but I never use it as I always use the offline stuff. like during a clean install it attempts to get you to use a online account but you can select the offline option anyways.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ; the ‘download tool now’ option makes it nice and easy to obtain the newest ISO of Windows 10 and that’s direct from Microsoft. then I use something like Rufus (i.e. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ; which is free ) which makes it nice and easy to create a bootable Win10 USB device which you can load the Windows 10 ISO (which you download with that official Microsoft tool) into that.

p.s. some claim you need a 8GB USB device but only a 4GB USB device is needed… “3.46 GB (3,720,216,576 bytes)” (i.e. a hair over 3.7GB) is the size of my ISO and I am using Windows 10 x64 Pro. I would assume the Home version (which is probably most common) would be similar size if not a bit smaller.

While your technically correct, it appears Windows XP’s market share is less than 5% according to a article I just looked up from earlier this year. those people are just putting themselves at risk considering Microsoft stopped supporting it in I think it was April 2014.

so in the end… Windows 10 is pretty much inevitable outside of a few people who refuse to use it (but they would be better off switching to Linux etc than continue to use XP). the same that happened with WinXP will eventually happen to Windows 7 but Windows 7 will likely hang strong for a while til I would guess within about a year or so after Microsoft dumps support for it in Jan 2020. so I would imagine within about 3-4 years from now (say about the year 2021/2022) Windows 7 will take a solid hit in it’s market share as that seemed to have happened with Windows XP as once Microsoft dumped support for that in April 2014, it took a while before the market share really dropped off a lot if I recall correctly.