Windows cant read sata correctly

I just installed a maxtor 300 sata and win2000 only reads 128 gig. Also, when I click on it, windows says it needs to be formated but then wont let me format it. I formatted it with maxblast in fat 32 so that shouldnt be a problem. My motherboard is albatron px865pec pro and ide seeting it set to enhanced. I have a maxtor 250 gig ide that windows see’s ok.
Anyone know why windowz is giving me grief?
Gary

Hi and Welcome!

This might be the reason: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098
Also, FAT32 is not recommended for modern systems. A small (1…2 GB) FAT32 is okay, but not a full 300GB disk.

Michael

Hi, I tried that reg fix but no change. As far as fat goes, my 250 gig ide is fat and it works ok. My bios sees the drive. I have done all of windows updates. I will try ntsf just to see. I’ve searched the net for options.
Gary

Your 250gb HDD is ide, this drive is SATA.

Make sure the BIOS sata options are correctly set and check the jumpers on the drive. There are sata specific jumpers…there is no master/slave/cs for sata, BTW.

do you have sp4? if not then get it

do you have the first (1.0) revision or the second (2.0) revision of the PX865PEC PRO motherboard? if you dont know then open the case lay it down and have a good look it should be in white text somewhere on the board (a bios update may resolve the issue if its the 2nd revision,it says on the bios version history that it improves sata compatbility,doesnt nessiarly mean its related but still worth a try)

its not automatic , youll have to create a new partition/s from the unpartitioned space , use windows disk management
start–>settings–>control panel–>administrative tools–>computer management–>disk management

NTFS have several advantages , the most important one is the max file size (NTFS have no limit,FAT32 limits to 4GB) very important for ppl who works with dvds or do video editing/capturing

sata2 drives have a jumper for backwards compatbility with sata1 -150- for older motherboards such as the one the OP have , my guess is that he alredy had it set properly or he didnt have to cuz its an sata1 (150) drive , i dont think the bios would recognize it any other way

Update -
I finally got windows to see all of the drive. On sata option in bios, I changed from enhanced to auto. Now all is well. Also, I tried to flash bios but it said program file part number doesnt match my system. Not sure what to do about that. Lastly, I am aware of the limitations of fat32 but ntsf wont let me boot from a dos disk. Plus, win2000 has given me several blue screens in the past on ntsf and has ruined all my data after running chkdsk so I am reluctant to use it. If any of you know about the bios flash problem please share your wisdom.
Thanks for all of the input.
Gary

it means the bios you downloaded is the wrong one (for a diffrent motherboard or revision) , yes ntfs is unreadable/cant be seen in dos however there are other ways…, if you have an xp cd you can use bartpe and make a live (bootable) xp cd… otherwise you can use slax (a linux live cd,with nice GUI and very good ntfs read/write support),one way or another youll have access to it in case of emergency and if you wanna format it for reinstalling that can easily be done from the windows setup, IMHO its best to keep the important files out of the system (C:) partition , yep chkdsk can trash your files and it can also happen with FAT32 FYI however it only happens if the hard drive/partition have bad sectors i know that from expirence , so as long as the hard drive is “healthy” it will never happen i bet those bsods of the ntfs.sys were also related to the bad sectors, im using ntfs for a long time i had bsods but none of em were related to the filesystem itself , it was just bad drivers

its a good practice to keep backup on another hard drive,using an automated backup software like acronis trueimage for example,also after connecting a new hard drive its best to use the manufacturer diagnostic software to determine if its in good health cuz you might fall on a bad drive (happend to me)

Hi,

Fine :slight_smile:

Also, I tried to flash bios but it said program file part number doesnt match my system. Not sure what to do about that.
Get the correct BIOS for your mainboard. Maybe this was for another mainboard revision. Or even OEM.

Lastly, I am aware of the limitations of fat32 but ntsf wont let me boot from a dos disk.
There is the recovery console, and there is the KNOPPIX CD. For some purpose, a small FAT32 partition might be okay, as already said. And you’ll lose the user permissons, that really stops tons of malware installing on the system :wink:
Plus, win2000 has given me several blue screens in the past on ntsf and has ruined all my data after running chkdsk so I am reluctant to use it.
Such is only due to bad drivers, bad hardware or missing fixes like the 48 bit LBA patch. If I want FAT32 as my main file system, then I could stick with Win98SE or ME :stuck_out_tongue:

Michael

Michel - thanks for the advice.
I would like to use the console but I dont know anything about it. I’m kinda at the limit of my ability and knowledge on this stuff. I have tried linux but could’nt figure out how to get it to let me install my software. I only found out about the 48 bit fix last week.
If you have a link explaining the consol and its use please post.
Gary