Windows 8 update marks the end of illegal activations

I just posted the article Windows 8 update marks the end of illegal activations.

Those who used tricks to activate their Windows 8 installations for free, should fear the latest Windows 8 updates

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-update-marks-the-end-of-illegal-activations-65714/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-update-marks-the-end-of-illegal-activations-65714/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That’s funny, because I figured that actually using Windows 8 would mark the end of any desire to do any activations whatsoever. It ended mine, at any rate. :slight_smile:

There was also a method found that converted a pirate copy into a full legal copy by using an illegal KMS together with a Windows Media Center (WMC) key. Microsoft provides these WMC keys until January 31st 2013, so early buyers of Windows 8 are able to get WMC for free.

Once the KMS + WMC key method got onto tech sites, many users benefited from it. But those who have activated Windows 8 this way are now complaining

It’s interesting whether do these updates affect those who used, ahem, other activation methods.

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2673025]That’s funny, because I figured that actually using Windows 8 would mark the end of any desire to do any activations whatsoever. It ended mine, at any rate. :-)[/QUOTE]You know, for five bucks (actually gets three lifetime licenses) you can get StartIsBack (http://www.startisback.com), install it, and have the increased speed and security features of Windows 8, with the user interface and start menu of Windows 7. You never have to see the Metro screen (or run Metro apps) again if you don’t want to.

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2673025]That’s funny, because I figured that actually using Windows 8 would mark the end of any desire to do any activations whatsoever. It ended mine, at any rate. :-)[/QUOTE]

I’m with you on this.
Tried the “Free” prerelease version. Took over 3 hours to download, 2 hours to install (on a quad core machine) and only 5 minutes to totally disgust me.
Microsoft owes me money for all of the time wasted on an inferior product. As for the less than legal installs being deactivated, Microsoft should be sending these people FREE keys as they are the only ones actually using Windoze 8. The rest of us have relegated it to a place in history right next to DOS4.0, Windows 286, Windows ME and “Nobody needs more than 640K”.

I see the point of the Modern UI though I find it too flat and its not for anyone who wants to do more than browse and email.

I like the speed of windows 8, the extra tweaks to explorer and the like as an upgrade user the modern UI with the messy old start tiles to the right is a mess.

So for me and my customers StartIsBack is the solution to this animal designed by a committee.

Windows 8 for the normal non geek is a mess, your should have the either or option on first startup, the code is still there as shown by the native tweaks of startisback.

Microsoft are wrong on this, the sooner they do something about it the better for the company.

MS did the same thing when Windows 7 came out, pirates will find a way around it again, just a matter of time.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2673028]You know, for five bucks (actually gets three lifetime licenses) you can get StartIsBack (http://www.startisback.com), install it, and have the increased speed and security features of Windows 8, with the user interface and start menu of Windows 7. You never have to see the Metro screen (or run Metro apps) again if you don’t want to.[/QUOTE]

Brad is right (no pun intended). But some people would prefer to complain about Windows 8 than use StartIsBack and get all the benefits of Windows 8 along with a Windows 7 Start menu.

The question is why didn’t MS include this option with Wjindows 8 so everyone can have a choice. Not just the tech savvy among us. IMO, we forget that most people using Windows 8 have no idea these UI tweaks exist.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2673158]Brad is right (no pun intended). But some people would prefer to complain about Windows 8 than use StartIsBack and get all the benefits of Windows 8 along with a Windows 7 Start menu.[/QUOTE]
Yup, that’s exactly right, because I shouldn’t have to pay one red cent to correct major flaws that shouldn’t have been there in the first place. I shouldn’t also have to put up with a UI that looks and acts like complete st, a UI that can’t be changed without performing the equivalent of major brain surgery. I shouldn’t have to fight tooth and nail with a godd*n OPERATING SYSTEM to get it to do with I WANT, for Christ’s sake. (It does make me appreciate the merits of Linux in this area, to be honest, especially now that I’m starting to use it to dabble in Android development.)

But I won’t continue to sit here and defend my objections to this fustercluck of an OS. I don’t have to. The lackluster market response, and the near-universal loathing for this piece of s**t, is doing it for me. Continue to defend it like Apple fanboys if you wish, that’s your right, but don’t expect people to just meekly shut up and take it, because you’re going to be very disappointed. People like myself are going to continue to voice our disappointment and disapproval, because that’s OUR right as much as it’s yours to defend this POS.

Windows 8 Fail

http://wp.thehalfpricegeek.com/windows-8-fail/

I see the point of the Modern UI though I find it too flat and its not for anyone who wants to do more than browse and email.

Some people claim that “browse & email” is the main intent of this new UI, and so other entertainment activities.
Don’t know whether is this true since I don’t pay much attention to it and I haven’t used Win8 yet.

[QUOTE=starblaster;2673210]Windows 8 Fail

http://wp.thehalfpricegeek.com/windows-8-fail/[/QUOTE] At the end of the day, I guess some people are just a little less capable than others.

You fanboys sure will make any personal attack you can just to keep up you losing argument, won’t you, (some people)? I was a Windows 8 beta tester, and have been and still am using it. I have to still use it, even though I think it sucks. I dislike the crap from fanboys like you very much. I have to sell Windows 8 at work and it is definately a loser. That has nothing to do with my salesmanship, …very few are buying the lame OS.

[QUOTE=starblaster;2673262]You fanboys sure will make any personal attack you can just to keep up you losing argument, won’t you, (some people)? I was a Windows 8 beta tester, and have been and still am using it. I have to still use it, even though I think it sucks. I dislike the crap from fanboys like you very much. I have to sell Windows 8 at work and it is definately a loser. That has nothing to do with my salesmanship, …very few are buying the lame OS.[/QUOTE]
First, I am not making an argument; I merely gave an opinion, therefore; I cannot be losing anything. Secondly, Microsoft does not pay my bills so defense lawyer is not part of my repertoire–again I am just stating my opinion, apparently the same as you. The only difference being that you seem to be under the illusion that your opinion is fact. Not sure to which personal attack you are referring since I have yet to make one. I gave a factual statement, there are some people less capable than others–now if you chose to single yourself out, then that is a personal issue over which I have no control.

Your argument was your statement. I have no personal issue. If you want an argument then go for it. I didn’t single myself out, you did.

The thing is about these hacks to make win 8 work more like Win 7 etc…do we trust that they will still work after a SP1? I don’t. I can see MS releasing an update that changes the way the UI settings are stored under the hood, effectively breaking all these start menu tricks.
I wouldnt put it past them.

[QUOTE=ivid;2673341]do we trust that they will still work after a SP1?[/QUOTE]
Do you really expect to ever see SP1 for Windows 8?

NT 4.0 -> SP6 (actually there was a 6a if I remember correctly)
2000 -> SP4 (plus a rollup-package)
XP -> SP3
Vista -> SP2
Win 7 -> SP1 (probably no more SP2 to expect)
Win 8 -> Make your guess!

SP6a existed, indeed.
And there was a rather small update from SP6 to SP6a
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246009/en-us :slight_smile:

Additional question: what will happen with Windows 9 and higher? Will they have negative Service Packs then? shrugs :eek:

Michael

Additional question: what will happen with Windows 9 and higher? Will they have negative Service Packs then? shrugs

It’s better for servicePacksAmount to be signed short integer, since with unsigned we’ll get 65535 updates onboard. :smiley: