Windows 8 U- Turn (Blue)

It was, proclaimed Microsoft’s irrepressible salesman Steve Ballmer, a “bet-the-company” moment.
But the wager on Windows 8, a new operating system which would halt the slide in PC sales and challenge Apple’s iPad, has turned sour after the computer giant announced a humiliating U-turn.
In what has been described as the biggest admission of commercial failure for a major product launch since “new Coke” was withdrawn 30 years ago, Microsoft is to overhaul Windows 8, the software update which prompted a backlash from customers who found it impossible to navigate.
Pitched as an operating system for both desktop computers and tablets, Windows 8’s touch-screen interface confused Microsoft’s customers with its interactive “tile”-based start screen and the omission of the brand’s famous “Start” button.
Mr Ballmer, the Microsoft CEO, said he was “betting the company” on the worldwide launch of a range of Windows 8 desktops, laptops, notebooks and the company’s answer to the iPad, the new “Surface” tablet.

I like the comparison between W8 and New Coke. It took Coke only three months to reverse course and MS seven months. The fact is that W8 should have never seen the light of day in its current form. It makes me wonder how decisions like removing the Start Menu and boot to Desktop option ever get traction and implemented in a product like Windows. I would have thought they did a lot of focus group research on users’ reaction to using W8 and found out it was not going to be well received. I have to think they did do this and ignored the results.

I noticed a distinct lack of specificity in the comments. And I’ll leave it up to the geniuses at Microsoft to figure out pricing for this.

“I keep hearing how great Win8 is once it’s turned into Win7 with add-on’s…” Uh huh.

Something else I have discovered of late - I truly HATE the SEARCH 4.0-and-later versions that disallow explicit searches. Win8’s has castrated even more information away from locating files on a drive - I didn’t think it was possible - but they’ve done it.

But NOW there are add-on’s to return good Search capabilities.

WHY OH WHY is this ever necessary?!!

I just hope it starts supporting 720p. I can’t use the Metro crap on my Samsung / Revo HTPC because the native resolution of the Samsung is 720p…

[QUOTE=UTR;2687061]I like the comparison between W8 and New Coke. It took Coke only three months to reverse course and MS seven months. The fact is that W8 should have never seen the light of day in its current form. It makes me wonder how decisions like removing the Start Menu and boot to Desktop option ever get traction and implemented in a product like Windows. I would have thought they did a lot of focus group research on users’ reaction to using W8 and found out it was not going to be well received. I have to think they did do this and ignored the results.[/QUOTE]

Now…why am I not suprised… lol… they ignored all the results cause they wanted to increase their beer gut that is why…plain and simple… GREED/MONEY. It’s simple math force people to buy something that doesn’t help them and increase profits for your share holders…and bonus for exec’s…and corporate golden parachutes… there nothing there about improving enduser windows experiences rather the opposite stymy all innovations and make them M$. Sorry to say Ballmar but Apple already beat you to that I-devices and I-tunes…you need to improve on Windows not Metro to beat Apple at their own game of which I would say… You GOT gamed!!!

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2687083]I just hope it starts supporting 720p. I can’t use the Metro crap on my Samsung / Revo HTPC because the native resolution of the Samsung is 720p…[/QUOTE]

If this is a software compatibility problem, then add it to this thread:

It’s more of an OS problem. The desktop, and Windows as we used to know it, works fine @ 720p (1280X720). Metro apps, however, are designed to work at 1024X768 minimum (and will tell you so by not running). Thing that’s pretty stupid is that 1024X768 is a whole 135168 pixels [I]less[/I] than 720p.

But 48 Pixels vertically are missing. This outweighs the more-than necessary amount of horizontal pixels. :stuck_out_tongue:

Michael

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2687083]I just hope it starts supporting 720p. I can’t use the Metro crap on my Samsung / Revo HTPC because the native resolution of the Samsung is 720p…[/QUOTE]
Hi oldyteddy is it possible to run your Revo HTPC in 1366x768 resolution?
I had an old sony HDTV which was 720P and it allowed me to send it 1366x768 screen resolution even though it was not mentioned in the manual.
hope this helps you.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2687078]Something else I have discovered of late - I truly HATE the SEARCH 4.0-and-later versions that disallow explicit searches. Win8’s has castrated even more information away from locating files on a drive - I didn’t think it was possible - but they’ve done it.

But NOW there are add-on’s to return good Search capabilities.

WHY OH WHY is this ever necessary?!![/QUOTE]

Search seems to have gone downhill after Windows XP. The following are just a few screenshots from what XP offered in its file search:

Windows 7…

There’s a few date modified and basic size options, but for anything else (e.g. searching 700KB+ size in current folder only), it’s not so straight forward.

Of course, what I typically do is run a File Prefix/Suffix (Extension) search on removable data drives (USB sticks, DVDs, External HDDs). I simply want to ask, “Show me all FR*.* on Drive I:”. Very straightforward on just about every DOS version, and every Windows version until SEARCH 4.0 was delivered (Vista and later).

I don’t want to waste ONE SECOND searching thru already-searched index files for every other HDD on my system. I know the files aren’t there! It’s the newly-connected storage that I ONLY want to search.

It’s soooo unbelievably frustrating to see the simplest of tools wrapped up in some new GUI and then gutted for functionality.

Not only that, the File Manager since XP (“Windows Explorer” is the proper and sadly confusing name) has degraded with Vista and beyond, too.

I used to use my Cursor Keys as a Select function - move up or down folders with my cursor keys in the Left Pane, and I’d see folder-by-folder File Contents in the Right.

No more! I have to use my bleepin’ MOUSE to select any “selected” folder to display their contents. SOOO frustrating - and incredibly dangerous because I love to think I’m still using a functional File Manager with my cursor keys, only to tap the Keyboard’s DELETE key and THEN discover I’ve deleted some parent folder structure! Grrr…

While we’re seeing some wailing and gnashing of small-developer teeth over the New Start Button on W8.1, and others are griping that “Microsoft is undercutting small developers!”. But Microsoft has obviously gutted their File Manager and Search functions and left THOSE services - once good enough in XP - wide open for “small developers” to provide replacements.

And so far, just about EVERY replacement is superior to Vista-W7-W8 file managers.

[I]Anyone recall the USS THRESHER? The sub that dove to its death in the early '60s? THIS is what how I consider Microsoft’s “u-turn” in so many of their UI services. U-Turn? Yeah. Like the THRESHER. [/I]

While I agree that searching in XP was more convenient,W8 isn’t THAT bad when you search from within desktop mode…if you doubleclick on any of your devices or partitions,you can start searching from there,instead of “computer” and by filetype,size and age or by typing some info in the searchbox.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2688138]And so far, just about EVERY replacement is superior to Vista-W7-W8 file managers.
[/QUOTE]

Amen to that,Christine!I use Total Commander for over 9 years now,and never looked back…:disagree:

I been using file manager since Win95 and haven’t had problems as you had…so for me windows file manager works for what it does and plus it already comes with windows no addon to do what it does already…

Next, you can brag about using all the various keystroke combos to create a new folder for us.

Declining PC sales were never gonna be rescued by infecting them with a consumer-unfriendly and, to boot, barely trialled OS…

…Micromind deserve to sink

The old story…they release crap…then act all surprised and have to rewrite everything so that we end up with what they could have produced in the first place: that is a more stable and faster version of W7, which is an improved version of XP, which is an improved version of 2000, which is…

Anyway…I like my PC
I hope they leave it alone…for all I care, keep it stable for the next 10 or 15 years…

I paid for it.

Thanks you, now eff off Mr Balmer

Dean, what did you think about the Toms Hardware article “Is this fair?” about comparing old Celerons and i3s to modern i3s? There were some lags in the old stuff, but not nearly as much as I expected. And it supported the contention of “Why bother to upgrade hardware? It just isn’t changing much” argument.

Unless someone re-writes once-functional software into a new Jabba The Hutt version, I suppose…

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2688320]Unless someone re-writes once-functional software into a new Jabba The Hutt version, I suppose…[/QUOTE]
New: Windows RT 64GB tablets, now with 1GB of spare storage space (1)!

Note: (1) until upgrade to Windows blue.

I’m beginning to think “u-turn” will be more aptly described as “nose-dive”.

Maybe “blue” was a euphemism for Deep Blue, as in Davy Jones’ Locker. “Hold on, Thresher - Ballmer’s on his way!!”

Or perhaps it was merely the single-word synonym for Ballmer’s rosy outlook: “Don’t worry - it always becomes darkest before it becomes completely black.”

There is no U-turn for start. Sorry NO I get along well with a keyboard and a mouse.