Windows 8 to boost HDD sales - market recovers after floods

vbimport

Windows 8 to boost HDD sales - market recovers after floods.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/10/asRnr0.jpg[/newsimage]Research firm iSuppli has released a report on hard disk drive (HDD) shipments in 2012. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-to-boost-hdd-sales-market-recovers-after-floods-64085/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-to-boost-hdd-sales-market-recovers-after-floods-64085/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Pure fantasy. If HDD sales go up, it’s because people’s current hard drives are bulging at the seams with FLAC/MP3 and/or Blu-ray rips. Period. End of story.

Duke, yes.

iSuppli, eh? I wonder if they release reports about products that make Windows 50% faster?

Or was that iWishfulThinking?

I agree that the very idea Windows8 would have any effect on
HDD sales is purely a product of “Vizzini Logic”

Now I wait to see if anyone understands what I mean by “Vizzini Logic”

AD

Well, they’d already lost in a battle of strength, and swordmanship …

Admittedly, windows 8 has a huge cliff to climb to gain acceptance …

I really thought that the HDD market needs a chocolate covered pill to breathe life back into it, but I’d need a (billy) crystal ball to predict what’s really going to happen.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2657409]I agree that the very idea Windows8 would have any effect on
HDD sales is purely a product of “Vizzini Logic”

Now I wait to see if anyone understands what I mean by “Vizzini Logic”

AD[/QUOTE]You’re right because people do not buy new computers when a new operating system comes out, the same way people do not buy the newest and latest iPhone. If you are going to disagree with a report that is fine but to spout your opinion as factual without any supporting evidence does not make in the way of sense.

Certainly the new OS will spawn a wave of new purchases. Like October brings new car models. Like morning brings a new day. Just wait until Win9, though.

I don’t know if any of this is worthy of the Vizzini Award.

(Wait - would use of “Vizzini Logic” qualify for the Award itself? hmmmm)

The only thing that’s going to boost HDD sales is the introduction of an affordable 5TB (3.5") or 3TB (2.5") drive.

NEW pc sales are in a huge slump… so more HDDs aren’t being sold there… if anything, it’s going to come from upgraders… and there hasn’t been a compelling reason for them to do so… if th HDD industry waits until 2014 to release a drive more than 4tb, market interest will continue to slide regardless of what actual prices do… similar trends seem to plague the DDR memory industry too… these are enthusiasts who build machines-- maybe some repairs tweak demand-- but wouldn’t most of those come under warranty? so, not really new sales…

I wish these industry trade groups would speculate less and research more… demand is stuck in a holding pattern until HDD mfg.'s innovate-- or cross the preflood prices (street price cuts) of old… and that had 1tb hard drive slipping below $50 and 4tb drives around $169.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2657763]demand is stuck in a holding pattern until HDD mfg.'s innovate-- or cross the preflood prices (street price cuts) of old… and that had 1tb hard drive slipping below $50 and 4tb drives around $169.[/QUOTE]

I just bought an external WD 3TB for $140. Looking at other HDD products, I believe for the most part we are at pre-flood price levels. 4TB drives are still ridiculously expensive, though, at twice the price of 3TB drives.