"Windows 8, the Christmas gift for someone you hate"

I just posted the article “Windows 8, the Christmas gift for someone you hate”.

While Windows 8 is out for more than a month, the amount of criticism certainly isn’t getting less.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-the-christmas-gift-for-someone-you-hate-65177/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-the-christmas-gift-for-someone-you-hate-65177/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Tried to set it up in VirtualBox on my desktop, no luck — 7f error; search engines suggested turning on some option in BIOS which I don’t have. I gave up.
I suppose it would start on the host PC but I don’t want to bother myself with it for now.

By the way, besides this Metro interface, which is quite useless for me, I like the design of MS Office 2013. Perhaps that’s the point by which one MS should have stopped with interface experiments.

(Seems I’ve again screwed with tenses :doh:)

OMG did that make me laugh…:clap::clap:

he would have expected that he could run Metro applications on one half of the screen and desktop applications on the other half

Does anyone here remember “active desktop”? This was kind of like what the quote suggests. Normal desktop with live links, apps, and such. I beleive they got rid of this feature and brought in the sidebar.

Why would I want big blocky green, purple, violet and blue work area when I can keep my own destop background and arrange nice little icons on it.

More news of Windows 8 bashing brought to you by Dominator.
Hey Dominator, once in a while you might want to report on the positive reviews of Windows 8, like here - http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1093002/review
Also I notice there is no negative Apple news on this site.
So which kind of computer do you use Dominator?

The people who write these articles are so dramatic. I remember when MS changed the Office Suite to the ribbon interface, I heard a lot of the same type of criticism. Now that people have gotten used to it they love it. People complain that MS does not innovate and when they do people b*tch about it. I actually like the changes they have made in Windows 8. I like the Start screen. It is different. It took some time getting used to the new interface but now it feels like normal. If you do not like the interface then fine, you have that right, but bashing the OS every minute of the day seems rather juvenile. I am no fan of Apple products but I do not go on some negative diatribe everytime the subject comes up.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2667781]… I remember when MS changed the Office Suite to the ribbon interface, I heard a lot of the same type of criticism. Now that people have gotten used to it they love it…[/QUOTE]

Oh, I beg to bicker. I use MSOffice extensively, and am still exasperated every time I want to do something a little different from my routine functions. The GD ribbon is one of the most non-intuitive, cumbersome, and frustrating degradations MS has ever come up with.

Windows 8 really isn’t as bad as some people make it sound. It’s new and different, but after having the chance to monkey around with it a bit, it’s not very hard to get used to.

[QUOTE=aka74;2667693]Tried to set it up in VirtualBox on my desktop, no luck — 7f error; search engines suggested turning on some option in BIOS which I don’t have. I gave up.
I suppose it would start on the host PC but I don’t want to bother myself with it for now.

By the way, besides this Metro interface, which is quite useless for me, I like the design of MS Office 2013. Perhaps that’s the point by which one MS should have stopped with interface experiments.

(Seems I’ve again screwed with tenses :doh:)[/QUOTE]

Sounds strange. I installed it in VMWare Workstation without issue. It’s a weird interface, but it’s supposed to be designed for tablets, not really for desktops or laptops. I still prefer Windows 7. There’s even some people I know who still prefer XP to 7.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2667848]Sounds strange. I installed it in VMWare Workstation without issue. It’s a weird interface, but it’s supposed to be designed for tablets, not really for desktops or laptops. I still prefer Windows 7. [I] There’s even some people I know who still prefer XP to 7[/I].[/QUOTE]

Why is that though?

Not necessarily because of the refusal to upgrade to more modern hardware - XP is one of those infallible operating systems that - if treated right - will just go on, and on, and on. Partly due to the sheer cost of replacing a Windows XP infrastructure, XP just, well worked.

That’s not to say Windows 7 is worse than Windows XP - But why replace something that isn’t broke, and works astonishingly well, even 11 years later? Most buisnesses won’t benefit from all the bells and whistles 7 will offer them - far less what Windows 8 will give them.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2667847]Windows 8 really isn’t as bad as some people make it sound. It’s new and different, but after having the chance to monkey around with it a bit, it’s not very hard to get used to.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not - But should Microsoft be forcing consumers to slide away from a tried and tested method of using computers they’ve had since Windows 95 - rather than shaking up everything and not giving lessons on how to use Windows 8?

Sounds strange.

I suppose because of problems with PAE-NX support, my desktop PC is pretty old.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2667847]Windows 8 really isn’t as bad as some people make it sound. It’s new and different, but after having the chance to monkey around with it a bit, it’s not very hard to get used to.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my sentiments…people are criticizing the Metro interface as rubbish,but M$ doesn’t force you to use it.
I’m running windows 8 for a few weeks now,and still haven’t felt the need to use apps,so I ignore Metro totally,and run a fine desktop os…

[QUOTE=aka74;2667923]I suppose because of problems with PAE-NX support, my desktop PC is pretty old.[/QUOTE]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh975398.aspx

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2667899]Why is that though?

Not necessarily because of the refusal to upgrade to more modern hardware - XP is one of those infallible operating systems that - if treated right - will just go on, and on, and on. Partly due to the sheer cost of replacing a Windows XP infrastructure, XP just, well worked.

That’s not to say Windows 7 is worse than Windows XP - But why replace something that isn’t broke, and works astonishingly well, even 11 years later? Most buisnesses won’t benefit from all the bells and whistles 7 will offer them - far less what Windows 8 will give them.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the context it’s in. For businesses, I agree. They won’t upgrade because there’s really not that much of a benefit in it for them. I feel like an old fart now not wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I still prefer 7 though. I do have XP installed on my other computer (which is an old Compaq that I only have a word processor, web browser and AV running on – that I use as an “office” computer).

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2667912]Maybe not - But should Microsoft be forcing consumers to slide away from a tried and tested method of using computers they’ve had since Windows 95 - rather than shaking up everything and not giving lessons on how to use Windows 8?[/QUOTE]

They really shouldn’t – especially given that XP and 7 work perfectly well.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2667931]Exactly my sentiments…people are criticizing the Metro interface as rubbish,but M$ doesn’t force you to use it.

I’m running windows 8 for a few weeks now,and still haven’t felt the need to use apps,so I ignore Metro totally,and run a fine desktop os…[/QUOTE]

I just had it in a VM to play around with it for a school project. My main computer is still using Windows 7 and my other is running XP.

i used it for a month, imho its horiible and i wont be using it ever again.

I’m using it for Windows Media Center on a heinously under powered net top. This machine struggled with YouTube under Win7 and now does 1080i TV streams (14 to 18 Mbps) without breaking a sweat. Of course my Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridges with Win7 still blow it out of the water, but at least it is now a contender.

PS: I’m thinking of giving the Win8 machine as a Christmas Gift…:stuck_out_tongue:

I think I hate the new ribbon interface as much as Squidward hates Spongebob. I disagree when road worker says “Microsoft doesn’t force you to use it”. I have yet to find a Microsoft Product, with ribbon toolbars, that gives you the option of using the old tried-and-true interface. These new ribbons seem bulky, cluttered, and overall less functional to me.

That brings up good reason why I love Firefox. It uses a ribbon-like interface by default, but gives users the option to switch back to a “classic” menu bar-based interface. I believe that if Microsoft wants to shake things up on us, they should give us the options to turn off the new interface elements, and keep using the classics. This way, people who like change will get what they want. On the other hand, people like me, who like things just the way they are, will also get what they want. Everybody wins.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2668159]I think I hate the new ribbon interface as much as Squidward hates Spongebob. I disagree when road worker says “Microsoft doesn’t force you to use it”. I have yet to find a Microsoft Product, with ribbon toolbars, that gives you the option of using the old tried-and-true interface. These new ribbons seem bulky, cluttered, and overall less functional to me.

That brings up good reason why I love Firefox. It uses a ribbon-like interface by default, but gives users the option to switch back to a “classic” menu bar-based interface. I believe that if Microsoft wants to shake things up on us, they should give us the options to turn off the new interface elements, and keep using the classics. This way, people who like change will get what they want. On the other hand, people like me, who like things just the way they are, will also get what they want. Everybody wins.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the few time I will agree with you. Microsoft ignores the regular users needs, removing useful parts of the toolbar and other functions and burying them. Meanwhile, useless shit like web collaboration and other new fancy crap gets pushed to the forefront I had finally gotten used to the toolbars and functions in Office 2003 and 2007 when they changed it yet again in 2010. The changes in PowerPoint have been especially vexing.