Windows 8 sales roughly equal to Windows 7's record after the first month

vbimport

I just posted the article Windows 8 sales roughly equal to Windows 7’s record after the first month.

[quote][/quote]

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-sales-roughly-equal-to-windows-7s-record-after-the-first-month-65014/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-sales-roughly-equal-to-windows-7s-record-after-the-first-month-65014/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t really question the sales percentages but they are giving windows 8 basically away for free so there is no way they are bringing in the money hand over fist like they did with windows 7 probably the best operating system by MS ever built.

Just like anything else there’s always another opinion,

Not that I really care one way or the other. Also my wife works in retail and says Windows 8 is not selling well at all. And again I don’t really care if it is selling well or not.

You can’t really take those figures to much to heart. A lot of those numbers are probaby just HP or whoever signing up to volume licence agreements to sort themselves for the next few years

I call BS and I agree with the register article. 40 million shipped to the channels but I doubt most of them are in customers hands.

Once also has to wonder how many of these “Sold” licences were also to there surface tablets. Easy way to pump up the number dedicating 10+million to them.

I am going to say this reporting is a load of BS…just read the posting on the windows blog reply…notice there isn’t a single decent article reply on there? That should be telling to anyone reading this article they blocked or removed any offending comment to leave only those benefiting them. And this part…

We built Windows 8 to work great on existing Windows 7 PCs
What…built 8 to work on 7 computers? Really…what a load of another BS again…drinking/hitting the koolaid pretty hard.

There so many wrongs and obvious false rose glasses being worn on that windows blog site one has to ask are we in Kansas anymore? I could go on and on…but I take the best ones first…

One notable fact is that Windows 8 upgrades are being purchased at a faster rate than that seen for Windows 7
Really based on?? and where are the numbers coming from?? Because I am not one of them for sure…

Windows 8 Pro is selling for less than the original
Yeah they can’t get rid of disaster program fast enough…most likely…

[B]to-date Microsoft has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses[/B]
Yeah to licensed manufacture wanting to not be on M$ bad side most likely…

There were more apps in the Windows Store at launch than any other app store at their launch and since then
Oh right…more apps the Iphone…give me a break…this story smells and sticks to high heaven. Now this basically is a spoof…for M$ to say they have more apps then any other apps store… When Iphone blasted them out of the waters.

But then again M$ wants us to be mindless Drones saying please give me more I want it more from behind. This is the reason why their sales are down…they used to be the Top players but forgot whom go them there to begin with the Consumer buying power…now Apple has the Consumer buying power and M$ is left scrambling in wake of Apple power broker. Trying to portray a falsehood won’t last long rather they should remember what their original business model was and what got them there in the first place.

Put the information together coolcolors. You have the links. Tami Reller, in her speech to the Credit Suisse 2012 Annual Technology Conference, stated that Windows 8 upgrades are selling faster than Win 7 upgrades did. Since she is the chief marketing and financial officer for Microsoft, she should have excellent data to back it up.

And the Windows Store had more apps in its first day than Apple did in their store on Apple’s first day…that’s all they are saying. That, and the fact that the numbers of apps have doubled in the month since first release.

if the article is true, it’s probably because the new OS is so cheap. I could probably buy old XP cd’s from Ebay for about the same price. If people are buying this OS just for the sake of getting the new OS, I’d be pretty surprised.

If Apple claims to have sold 20M Iphones no one questions it, MS sells 40M Windows 8 OSs and all of a sudden it’s BS? And honestly who gives a sht if its volume licenses…MS does not give them out for free…they had to have been paid for. There are far too many fan boys and haters over sht that does not influence your life one way or the other. If you hate Windows then hate it and shut up about it or create the OS that you think is perfect. It is one thing to have debate and honest criticism and it’s another to give negative input that adds nothing to any discussion at every chance you get. At the end of the day nobody gives two grains of salt whether you hate or love any given company.

I wouldn’t get upset about Windows 8 selling good or being a flop. It don’t have much influance in my life, I’m not a fanboy or hater. I bought 3 copys of pro and installed them on 3 of the 4 desktop PCs I have. I dont’t especially like Win8 becayse of the Metro, no more glass, etc. and security. My 4th desktop PC has XP and Win7. I would have installed Win 8 Pro on it too, but was afraid of loising a bunch of games on both XP and Win7 doing it. I know there’s a way around losing stuff and I will look it up and read. (real life requires alot of time though) Anyway I think that if Microsoft is pusing the numbers to make their Win 8 flop look better while waiting for sales to pick up then they are a bunch of losers, with extra small tiny *icks. However it might very well be selling good, and they are accomplishing their goals. I like their Surface, but I personally don’t thave the money to spend on those nice little toys, but that don’t mean that others won’t buy it. I think it’s way to early to tell about Win8 selling good or not! Wait about 6 months to a year and it will be well known by then. Look this thread up then and say I told you so, one way or the other. …Right now I just don’t know, and I don’t think anyone does. (maybe the big wheels at MS).

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2666115]if the article is true, it’s probably because the new OS is so cheap. I could probably buy old XP cd’s from Ebay for about the same price. If people are buying this OS just for the sake of getting the new OS, I’d be pretty surprised.[/QUOTE]I would also be very surprised.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2666107]Put the information together coolcolors. You have the links. Tami Reller, in her speech to the Credit Suisse 2012 Annual Technology Conference, stated that Windows 8 upgrades are selling faster than Win 7 upgrades did. Since she is the chief marketing and financial officer for Microsoft, she should have excellent data to back it up.

And the Windows Store had more apps in its first day than Apple did in their store on Apple’s first day…that’s all they are saying. That, and the fact that the numbers of apps have doubled in the month since first release.[/QUOTE]

I was reading through the replies on the site and notice there isn’t even a hint of decent of problems and everyone was like commenting on good and wonderful it was. But how many of those upgrades went back to windows7 that would also be worth noting as well to give it some creditbility. Wouldn’t you think there would be some decent about the metro interface but no there was no one saying why not give the option to choose desktop or metro interface. That was a red flag to me they removed or deleted comments they didn’t want on their blog site. That to is censorship of decent or any meaningful discussion. True but then again people buy more Iphone apps and use more of them then M$ apps why cause Apple took the market and everyone else is playing catchup. We should all acknowledge that part Apple maybe not flagship but they surely was the battleship that broke the apps market.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2666121]If Apple claims to have sold 20M Iphones no one questions it, MS sells 40M Windows 8 OSs and all of a sudden it’s BS? And honestly who gives a sht if its volume licenses…MS does not give them out for free…they had to have been paid for. There are far too many fan boys and haters over sht that does not influence your life one way or the other. If you hate Windows then hate it and shut up about it or create the OS that you think is perfect. It is one thing to have debate and honest criticism and it’s another to give negative input that adds nothing to any discussion at every chance you get. At the end of the day nobody gives two grains of salt whether you hate or love any given company.[/QUOTE]

Probably because it most likely is BS remember Mohave aka Vista or did we forget that already. Apple claims and can do those sales without much fan fare and plus I don’t own or use Iphone, Ipad and most likely won’t for the foreseeable future. They are pioneering and growing faster and have the technology and patents and money to prove it. I still own and use M$ products from Windows to Office and love it but no love lost on Windows8. I used M$ from DOS to Windows7. Honest criticism can’t happen if those decent is deleted or removed from blogs that doesn’t help future the discussions as well to any meaningfully resolution that helps no one on either side. I don’t care volume or not but they should really say where and whom is buying not just give out number without much saying where it is going. And if you sell a O/S cheap enough people will buy it that just how it is. Sell cheap and you sell alot…that just how it works whether people can find it useful or create more problem is another matter in itself to find out.

I bought Windows 8 mainly to get familiar with it and to test stuff in it periodically. At €30, I figured it was worth the purchase than repetitively installing the 90-day evaluation version each time I wanted to check something.

As far as sales go, Windows 8 has done an excellent job at clearing the PC stores around here of their remaining stock of Windows 7 PCs. :slight_smile: Just a few days ago, a lady called me asking if I know of any shop that still had any laptop with Windows 7. She said she tried every computer shop she could find within 60 miles (100km) of her house and said one shop (PC World) said they sold their last laptop with Windows 7 that morning. I did show her an alternative shop which most people wouldn’t think of for buying a laptop, Argos, where she managed to get one of the few left.

I remember when Windows 7 came out, shops still had plenty of PCs and laptops with Windows Vista in stock for nearly a year after Windows 7 launched.

it’s probably because the new OS is so cheap

Actually yes, many people find this interesting, a non-pirated OS for a reasonable and affordable price.

@ aka74

Thats really very true I did 3 of my 4 PCs for around 45 USD. Not bad.

“Sales” is one thing, because all of the Microsoft employees and contractors have ‘purchased’ copies - at greater discounts. So unit sales can look extraordinary. Dollars won’t be. And since activiations must occur during Installs, even “activation” numbers can look awfully potent.

One of our national clients had a 100-person regional office poised to change over, as a test case. Their central HQ did the regional manager and his 4 shift managers (& secretaries), then charged their hourly-rate for IT services, as a test case.

$20,000 later and the regional manager hit the ceiling, called it quits and the national client has backed up its forecast for a change-over to Win8 “for a long while”. Admin costs, additional training plus all the additional hardware - some pretty hefty costs.

Oh well… that’s why fishermen put little worms on their hooks. “All we need to do is get a nibble…”