Windows 8 sales numbers disappoint – 100 million less than Windows 7

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 8 sales numbers disappoint – 100 million less than Windows 7[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/05/myce-windows8-desktop-670x410.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-sales-numbers-disappoint-100-million-less-than-windows-7-70499

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“Today, nearly 15 months later, Microsoft revealed it has sold over 200 million Windows 8 licenses.
The numbers show that consumers aren’t too convinced about Windows 8, which is nothing new, the OS has received lots of criticism since its launch.”

The big question, of that 200 million, how many are actually still installed and active? I bought a new laptop without the option to upgrade to Win 7 and the machine was never even allowed to boot once with Win 8. Yanked the drive, hooked it to my desktop machine and formatted the whole thing. Reinstalled the drive and 7 was up and running an hour later!

I’d you haven’t tried Windows 8, how do you know you don’t like it?

Windows 8 has enjoyed such a bad reputation that many people have heard too much complaining about it and would rather not be the next guinea pig. I wonder how many people have delayed a computer purchase just to avoid having to deal with Windows 8?

Without a fix to hide the tiles as much as possible and bring back the start manu anyone who get’s a windows 8/8.1 pc is going to be confused and frustrated.

I use startisback on all the 8/8.1 pcs I deal with

Those numbers are less filling then watching paint dry…

One main problem I’ve seen is compatibility with hardware just a few years old, especially Wi-Fi problems on laptops (example). Do a Google search on “Windows 8.1 Wi-Fi” and there are pages of results with problems, including ‘How to fix’ articles that rarely work.

For example, a work colleague upgraded from XP to Windows 8 just after its launch to avoid the April '14 deadline. Ever since the Windows 8.1 update, the laptop will not connect to Wi-Fi until the adapter is manually disabled and re-enabled in the Network Connections list. Using the laptop switch or ‘Airport mode’ to turn it off/on does not work and this issue returns each time the laptop goes to sleep, hibernate, reboots, etc. The adapter is discontinued by Intel and they (nor Toshiba) provide any driver for it, i.e. the driver page says to use Windows update which just says you have the most recent version installed.

I also had the same Wi-Fi issue with my laptop and a desktop PC after upgrading to Windows 8.1, but at least was able to get updated Wi-Fi drivers to fix the issue on both.

As Wi-Fi is pretty much essential on a laptop, it wouldn’t surprise me that many are put off upgrading to Windows 8 when they hear from others with Wi-Fi issues or other hardware compatibility problems.

[QUOTE=Seán;2719557]As Wi-Fi is pretty much essential on a laptop, it wouldn’t surprise me that many are put off upgrading to Windows 8 when they hear from others with Wi-Fi issues or other hardware compatibility problems.[/QUOTE]

That is not something you want to have to show for all the O/S bells and whistle and then you have no internal wifi isn’t a good showing for any O/S to do and if it worked before and with the upgrade it doesn’t and no updated drivers or such doesn’t help the O/S image as a stable platform to upgrade to either. No Wifi in laptop makes it pretty useless because it was made to be portable and access internet anywhere at any time without being stuck at your Desktop computer. That is the main reason for why laptop will be here and long still be here-but have no wifi and it will die a slow death under the car wheel.