Windows 8 RTM - Goodbye start menu, hello Metro!

this is the worst thing since vista

its confusing :confused:

I Like the new Interface, don’t miss the Start Menu at all.

I liked the fact that they removed the start menu. It has been there since 95/NT.
I believe people would love to use tablets more instead of desktop.
Windows 8 and the next versions are meant for that.

it always takes time to adopt a new way or working/thinking. give it a chance and you may eventually like it, and understand why microsoft has done this

Firefox works better on the subway than on windows 7

I find Start Menu in Windows 7 to be useful and productive. I have no wish to use the Metro. It feels very dumbed down and less efficient for me. I am frustrated to see Microsoft seek to FORCE user to change on Desktop system. Why not just leave choice for Start menu available?

I actually like the start screen. the start menu was getting old and boring, i like that they came up with something newer.

[QUOTE=ViciousCOde;2650608]I actually like the start screen. the start menu was getting old and boring, i like that they came up with something newer.[/QUOTE]

I would simply like the option to switch between the two.

Right now, Metro is nearly useless. It only works decently on some MS pre-installed Apps and it’s not showing its real potential.

We need to see implementation from third-parties in order to see it, but my beliefs are that is more powerful than W7 start menu. Let’s hope that!

[QUOTE=chip1980;2650613]Right now, Metro is nearly useless. It only works decently on some MS pre-installed Apps and it’s not showing its real potential.

We need to see implementation from third-parties in order to see it, but my beliefs are that is more powerful than W7 start menu. Let’s hope that![/QUOTE]

Hello chip1980

Welcome to the forum and the MyCE community :flower:

[B]SJ[/B]

nice windows, totally new looking.

Why retrain many user to whole new interface in corporate environment?

Have been using windows 8 for several months now and do not miss the start menu one bit, find the new screen exciting and more efficient than the menu. It might have been confusing at first but after awhile with a bit of customisation it is the business. Seek and yee shall find.

what kind of apps are you using mjleprix? I’m most curious, does Metro on Windows 8 have live tiles and does it look nice? Care to share a screenshot of your Metro startmenu?

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2646760]A 4th-generation iPad with Windows 8 preinstalled with 4096*3072 resolution will come before that.[/QUOTE]

Except that on a display of about 10inches, is pretty much meaningless.

Please Apple, stop innovating pointless things we will never use in your products.

[QUOTE=UTR;2647081]I think they are linking Windows 8 to their mobile OS too. I have a Nokia 900 with Window 7.5 on it and there are many good things I like but there are also some I don’t like. If I were buying today I would have gone with an Android phone. I think MS is making their mobile OS too proprietary. As an example, the only viable web browser it can run is Internet Explorer and it is severely lacking in capability. MS has made it all but impossible for third party browsers to run on the OS with any speed and capability. Another thing is that it requires the user to use Zune to interface with the phone via a computer. The phone will not show up as a drive under My Computer.

I was a little premature in going the MS route. Now my wife loves the MS phone as it interfaces with her office email etc. very well. She can also navigate around with the OS well. She isn’t a techie so she likes the intuitiveness of Windows 7.5.

While the Metro interface is not bad for a phone it sucks on a desktop, IMO. I think MS is nuts to sacrifice desktop functionality and flexibility to push their phone OS onto people that don’t want it or have zero experience with it.[/QUOTE]

Except the problem is, Windows has missed the boat for profitability on the mobile phone market. They have had an opportunity FOR YEARS to enter the mobile phone market, but their refusal to dabble in the phone market has lead to the flood and inevitable dominance of the Android phone. Admittedly Apple came a bit late with their iOS too, but pre-2007 there wasn’t a great demand for smart phones…

Dismissing for a moment how you have to pay Microsoft for their usage, Android is a rock solid mobile phone OS. Apple too is great, but their lock down and lack of innovation by putting pointless things in most consumers wont use continues to alienate consumers even more, and plus their list of marketing gotchas which means as soon as the next generation of mobile comes out it’s pretty much discontinued.

The future is in free software I’m afraid. There is no compelling reason to move to a Windows phone when everything I can do can be done on an Android phone.

[QUOTE=UTR;2647056]Not everyone wants a new interface. They are fine with the status quo. MS can easily include a Start Menu [B][I]option[/I][/B] and keep everyone happy. Maybe this is a way for them to get people talking about Windows 8 and the old adage “no press is bad press” is what they are after. At the end of the day I think the Start Menu will be an option in Windows 8. If it isn’t then MS will have made a colossal marketing mistake.[/QUOTE]

You’re right on the money. It’s astonishing that people are still interested in what Microsoft is putting out, when attention should be fixed on Linux and Mac. If Microsoft don’t change their marketing strategy, Windows 8 is going to bomb worse than Vista did, and consumers will refuse to migrate.

For what most people did on their PCs, Windows XP was fine. Windows Vista was dog slow and buggy to hell, but once you got it working it was rock solid. 7 ironed out those problems.

[QUOTE=SubZero;2650578]I find Start Menu in Windows 7 to be useful and productive. I have no wish to use the Metro. It feels very dumbed down and less efficient for me. I am frustrated to see Microsoft seek to FORCE user to change on Desktop system. Why not just leave choice for Start menu available?[/QUOTE]

Because they know consumers won’t change from using the start menu. The start menu is more than fine - and Microsoft knows it.