Windows 8 Release Preview is available a day early

vbimport

I just posted the article Windows 8 Release Preview is available a day early.

The Release Preview of Windows 8 has arrived a bit early. Time to explore this new operating system and find out if it fits your needs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-release-preview-is-available-a-day-early-61836/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-release-preview-is-available-a-day-early-61836/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t see a single advantage in using Windows 8 instead of Windows 7. The new Metro UI might be nice for people having multi-touch screens, but I’m using keyboard most of the time plus my mouse whenever necessary. DVD playback and Windows Mediacenter are not included anymore, so functionality is reduced. Some interesting features are only available in the Enterprise version that is not available for consumers. The new App store only means that there’s an additional company that wants money for software other people sell - why would I want to buy from Microsoft instead of directly from the author?

The only functionality that would be nice to have for me is Hyper-V virtualization but the version shipped with Windows 8 is not compatible with my Core2Duo E8400 CPU :Z

My previous team lead is now accountable manager for the PC software and hardware department in my company (very large and multi-national company). She is currently visiting Microsoft in the US for a Windows 8 presentation. I “briefed” her before she left with my opinions about that OS and she seemed to be very interested :wink:

I’d update to Windows 8 in a minute if they had an option to disable Metro, as there is some nice things under the hood, such as better support for multi core CPUs, and UASP support for Z77 native USB3, and better utilization of SSDs.

But for me, having Metro is a non starter, although I will take the new release for a spin. :slight_smile:

Well TBH given all the negativity surrounding Windows 8 and Metro UI I don’t really feel the need to check it out as I’m more than happy with Windows 7.

We’ll see how things develop though and as other features such as those mentioned by Dee come to light, who knows, I might change my mind on this.

[B]Wombler[/B]

There’s a reason Windows 8 is called ‘Metro Edition’… Hearkens back to another Windows ‘ME’ I recall…

WinXP had staying power. I think I used it for 8 or 9 years. If win8 isn’t that good I have no problem staying on windows 7. I think I’ve only been using it for 2 or 3 years. Lots of life left in it.

What I find a little annoying in Windows 7 is that in Windows Explorer when you remove a USB pen drive Windows Explorer closes automatically. Does the same thing happen in Windows 8?

I’ll give it a test again just to see what else has been updated since the consumer preview. However at this stage, I am pretty confident that this is the new Windows ME as olyteddy said. :eek:

Hopefully it’s a bit more stable this time. I had a total OS crash within the first day of installing the consumer preview, not to mention countless chkdsk issues across my HDDs nearly every time I rebooted back into Windows 7.

So far it’s seriously reminding me of Windows Vista’s early days. With the Windows 7 beta & previews, I don’t recall having a single issue.

As far as stability goes over the years, from my experience Windows 7 has been the best for stability so far, with Windows XP as next best. My current Window 7 installation is finally starting to give the occasional start-up issue (BSOD or hangs every ~4th boot, which I think is caused by some caching software I’m beta testing), but the installation is nearly 3 years old with the PC used for hours every day, including software, driver, etc. installations, updates and removals since its installation . Apart from SSD failures, I haven’t had any crash that required me to restore an OS backup.

[QUOTE=Dee;2636217]I’d update to Windows 8 in a minute if they had an option to disable Metro, as there is some nice things under the hood, such as better support for multi core CPUs, and UASP support for Z77 native USB3, and better utilization of SSDs.

But for me, having Metro is a non starter, although I will take the new release for a spin. :)[/QUOTE]There is an option to “disable” Metro. Just don’t use it. As soon as Windows 8 boots into Metro, switch to the Desktop view and don’t go back. If you have an icon on the Desktop view for all the programs you use, you’ll be all set. No need for Metro. In fact, doing so looks exactly like Windows 7 minus a start button. And you still use Internet Explorer 9 with the Desktop view instead of 10 (Metro).

Well, been taking it for a spin.
It will be a short one though.
Between the consumer preview version and the release preview, they managed to break compatibility with Avid Protools. :a

I am very worried of what Windows 8 will mean especially for business users.

I could understand if they call it Windows 8 Metro for mobile platforms and have Windows 7 stay as desktop version, but to rip out key function and change interface to that degree is going to be a great frustration I fear.

I wonder if I should buy 2 EOM version of Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit so next machines I get at home I can configure without OS and put Win 7 OS on them instead?

One thing I like about windows 8 is the super fast boot time.

A few hours ago,I removed a drive from my desktop PC and realised that it was selected as the first drive when I first installed win8.

Since I couldn’t find my dvd for win8, and my server with images is temporarily undergoing an OS transition, I grabbed a win7 install disk, and used the systrem repair.

It feels like the win7 boot loader has added 5-7 seconds to the boot time …

Liggy, they didn’t remove those features we just have to pay for them now, thanks to the typical MS nickel and diming us with so many editions.

Can’t wait to see this debacle unfold and see how “successful” win 8 is on tablets. Tablet support was MS’s sole motivation to fastback a new version of Windows (and again probably before it’s ready and polished). Last time I looked PC’s weren’t tablets.

Auzzie, doesn’t it only do that if a folder on the USB drive is open when you remove it? BTW I hope you’re not pulling it out without “safely removing” it in Windows? I ruined a drive doing that once (lost the partition!) and I read that can happen as a result.

Here’s the part than annoys me. Microsoft had a kill switch for the Metro interface. They removed it after the first release. The obvious conclusion to this is that they are pushing us towards this new interface. Why, when there is so much resistance building up towards it amongst the desktop users? The answer is money.

Microsoft is trying to set up a new type of cash flow from their operating system in their new Metro apps store. Standard applications can still be developed for the regular desktop, but any Metro application has to signed off on by Microsoft and distributed through their store, where they will take a cut. This is an extension of the closed system found on phones and tablets, now applied to your regular computer. And this type of controlling behavior is not acceptable.

The only way I’ll use this operating system is if someone comes up with a very stable shell to replace Metro and the missing start system found on Win 7.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2636611]The only way I’ll use this operating system is if someone comes up with a very stable shell to replace Metro and the missing start system found on Win 7.[/QUOTE] If Microsoft is trying to shove Metro down our throats, do you trust them to NOT sabotage such a competing shell with their updates? I don’t.

Just playing with Win8 upgrade over a Win7ult install. Other than having to do a hard power-off when the machine stuck at the “shutting down” screen, its working. Certainly gonna need a few minutes to acclimate to the glory of the Metro interface :rolleyes:. Like to try restarting my machine to test the boot time, but I’m at a complete loss for finding any means to shut down or restart from desktop or metro :eek::o. Can someone point me in the right direction? :slight_smile:

Move the mouse pointer to the far right of the screen, then click on settings, and then power. :slight_smile:

Here are several alternatives deanwitty: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57389397-75/how-to-uh-turn-windows-8-off/

Oops, beaten to the punch.

[QUOTE=Dee;2636623]Move the mouse pointer to the far right of the screen, then write click on settings, and then power. :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks much, Dee :flower:

Please tell me it took you at least a few seconds to figure this out?:wink: