Windows 8 preview available tonight

vbimport

Original url: http://lifehacker.com/5839819/windows-8-preview-available-for-download-tonight

If you’re eager to give Windows 8 a spin, you’ll get your chance starting at 8 pm Pacific time tonight, when Microsoft will make the Windows 8 preview available as an ISO download on url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/]their developer website. You can opt for a 32-bit or 64-bit x86 build; developer tools will be optional.

PCWorld reports that because this is a prerelease code, not a beta release, a clean install is required.

Looks good, but I´ll never change from my Windows 7…

Wait a sec…din´t we say that about XP :doh:

:bigsmile:

Internet Explorer 10:

I can beat that “Performance Gain” RAM usage: :cool:

This is a screenshot I took January 2010 right after a fresh Windows 7 Starter installation. I didn’t install the drivers at the time of the screenshot and am not sure about Windows updates, but I obviously had Microsoft Security Essentials running.

I have just installed Windows 8 on a Compaq DX2000, which is a Pentium 4 system with 1 GB of memory and a measly Intel onboard vga.

It works amazingly fast! Just had a small bug where it showed no icons on the desktop, but i managed to solve that by configuring high contrast display in the login menu.

Even Flash and Office 2010 work perfectly.

Windows Developer Preview (32-bit) doesn’t install/run under Virtual PC on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit :frowning:

Error message: HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Google tells me the same is true for some other (not all) virtualization environments (VirtualBox, VMWare).

BTW Virtual PC doesn’t support 64-bit guests at all so that’s not an option.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2603890]Windows Developer Preview (32-bit) doesn’t install/run under Virtual PC on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit :frowning:

Error message: HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Google tells me the same is true for some other (not all) virtualization environments (VirtualBox, VMWare).

BTW Virtual PC doesn’t support 64-bit guests at all so that’s not an option.[/QUOTE]

It’s true for Vmware, but not for Virtualbox. Although i have not found out yet how to install Virtualbox device drivers inside the Windows 8 virtualbox yet. The virtualbox support tools are not supported. :slight_smile:

And here I just bought a copy of Windows 7 Home from Newegg a few weeks ago . . .

I find it a very annoying os, I couldn’t even post this here because it was constantly crashing ie viewing this thread. Might just run it in virtualbox for a while to give it a chance. But pretty sure I’ll be skipping this one :wink:

[QUOTE=slayerking;2603903]I find it a very annoying os, I couldn’t even post this here because it was constantly crashing ie viewing this thread. Might just run it in virtualbox for a while to give it a chance. But pretty sure I’ll be skipping this one ;)[/QUOTE]

Found out the Virtualbox settings! :smiley:

Posting this from a VirtualBox Windows 8 machine, running in a Windows 2003 domain with group policies and proxies :slight_smile:

I may just install it on the RevoDrive X2, and take it for a spin.

Mr Belvedere, what are the VirtualBox settings please?

[QUOTE=RickEveleigh;2603923]Mr Belvedere, what are the VirtualBox settings please?[/QUOTE]

Other OS, Other Settings.
4GB ram
20GB disk
Intel HD audio (my board had intel as well)
Intel Network Interface Card
3D accelleration on
2D accelleration on

I’m giving it a try here and writing this post here within Windows 8. :slight_smile:

For installation, I burned the ISO to DVD and installed it to a space 500GB HDD I had lying about. Full installation took about 15 minutes and it had drivers for all my hardware apart from the TV tuner.

It sure is quick starting up, which I assume is down to the kernel hibernation. It takes about 8 seconds to reach the app menu after POST and I’m sure this will be near instant with an SSD. On the other hand, they made a hems of shutting down, i.e. Click Start, User, Log Off, then wait…, drag up blind, click power icon and ‘Shutdown’… Seriously, there should be a ‘Shutdown’ on the start menu like every previous version of Windows up to 7.

I do like the app screen. It’ll take a little time for me to get use to, but the main advantage I see is that I can fit a lot more applications on this screen than what I can pin to the taskbar in Windows 7. On the other hand, for software not on the app screen, it’s a little more tedious to get to as there doesn’t seem to be a traditional start menu, at least that I can see off hand other than an A-Z list of installed software on the search screen.

As for stability, I’ve had to force power it off at least once. :bigsmile: It hung while logging off and I gave up waiting after 5 minutes as there was practically no HDD activity.

The only other issue I came across is that it intermittently ignores my mouse clicks. E.g. I’ve had a few times where I clicked something and nothing happened and this could be anywhere, e.g. clicking a URL, clicking an app to launch, going into a menu, etc.

[B]Edit:[/B] Quick Timings with Stop watch: 9.1 seconds POST to App screen and a further ~2 seconds to IE10 with page loaded. That’s pretty quick, considering this is all running on a spinning HDD. :slight_smile:

As for shutdown, the PC’s power button does the trick.

For those curious, this is what the A-Z of Apps look like, i.e. what appears to replace the “All Programs” in the traditional start menu:

One other small issue I encountered is that I had to reboot the PC for it to detect my eSATA HDD when I plugged it in. Windows also hung again, this time shutting down, leaving me with a black screen and mouse pointer even after 5 minutes waiting.

On the other hand, I think I’ll give this a test run over the coming days. :slight_smile: I’ve installed a few everyday items I use, such as Office 2010, GIMP and Thunderbird.

[QUOTE=Seán;2603944]As for shutdown, the PC’s power button does the trick.[/QUOTE] Right click in the left or right down corner, click on settings, click on power.

shutdown /s /full /t 0 also works in a command prompt :slight_smile:

^ If this was a Microsoft car: You would pop the bonnet, open the fuse panel and there you’ll find the button to switch off the engine. :bigsmile:

I also found out that dual-booting requires the Windows 8 boot loader. E.g. I tried adding the Windows 8 partition to my Windows 7 boot loader and it complained that it could not verify the digital certificate of winload.exe. On the other hand, the Windows 8 boot loader can launch Windows 7 fine.

Windows 8 has a new Boot Manager.
Microsoft’s new Boot Manager is designed to use the Metro design Language.

While not publicized as yet, it is also said to migrate to the new Protogon File System.

I’ve been running it for over a day.
Boots in around 4.5 secs on the RevoDrive.
Win8 is fast and fairly stable considering its a pre-beta.

Impressions.
[B]What a mess[/B]
I want a PC OS for a desktop PC, not a hybrid tablet OS made for children.
If i want this type of thing, I will buy a MAC. :stuck_out_tongue:

If this is what the release version will be like, I can see me sticking to Win7. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2604062]
I also found out that dual-booting requires the Windows 8 boot loader. E.g. I tried adding the Windows 8 partition to my Windows 7 boot loader and it complained that it could not verify the digital certificate of winload.exe. On the other hand, the Windows 8 boot loader can launch Windows 7 fine.[/QUOTE]Yep and just wait until you try to get rid of the w8 boot loader, you’re in for some fun then. Once you format the w8 drive the boot loader wont let you choose any os it just gives an error. No matter how much stuffin around you do the boot loader stays. The only way I could get it to boot again was to load w8 up again then boot into w7 and use easybcd to remove the w8 pointer, then I needed to tweak a few other settings but it’s skipped now not gone.

@Dee
I totally agree this is a crappy looking os built for imbeciles.