Windows 8 market share at 4 percent

vbimport

Windows 8 market share at 4 percent.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/05/YpOe3X.jpg[/newsimage]Six months after it's introduction Windows 8 has a market share of nearly 4 percent.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-market-share-at-4-percent-66992/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-market-share-at-4-percent-66992/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This article says windows 8 sales is comparable to windows 7.

Am I missing something from that pie chart?

What percentage of the 4% are actually happy with windows 8?

And how many of those Windows 8 pcs are now sitting in a room somewhere, while the manufacturers figure out what to do with a whole bunch of returned products?

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2686450]This article says windows 8 sales is comparable to windows 7.

Am I missing something from that pie chart?[/QUOTE]

What% of the W8 sales were Microsoft company purchases, like when they bought everyone a tablet

What% of the W8 sales were curious people that took advantage of the low price up until Dec or January when it went back to being expensive

What % of the W8 sales are for pre-configured computers made by manufacturers like Dell, Samsung, etc. And out of that, how many computers are still sitting around unsold?

The telling number would be activated units that still get updates.

As opposed to those picnic-table Surface dancers that certainly never EVER waste a flip-fly spin move trying to locate how to do Windows Updates.

I’d also like to see the programmers do compiles from the Start Screen.

How ironic that there’s yet another Windows 8 bad-sales article. I’m in the process of “improving” a coworkers’ PC with a StartMenu right now! I do wonder what will happen on her system once Blue gets released, though.

MS should look on the bright side. That 4% figure is more than Linux (just over 1%), closing in on OSX (6.92%) and will shortly overtake Vista (4.99%).

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2686493]MS should look on the bright side. That 4% figure is more than Linux (just over 1%), closing in on OSX (6.92%) and will shortly overtake Vista (4.99%).[/QUOTE]
If you don’t count servers …

How do they measure this?
I have 5 pcs at home, and one virtualised pc, excluding a giveaway with Linux Mint.
Linux has a 50% market share on pc’s.

If you count the 2x Android phones, 2x Android tablets, and 1x Android tv Dongle mini pc, and adsl router, Microsoft is literally in the minority.

My wife hates Windows 8 with a passion. She’s described it as unusable and “f@#$ing useless”. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen her show any passion regarding computers.

I’m surprised they even have 4%!!

Including the Commodore VIC20, C-64 OS and embedded controllers, Win8 has about a 4% share around here.

Zzyzxroad yes you are missing the point

They don’t spell it clearly but that article means Windows 8 is at the same % of usage as Windows 7 was at the same point in time after its release (about 3 months after initial release). MS were basically saying WIn 8 is selling as well as Win 7 did.

The pie chart represents where Windows 7 is TODAY, not where it was a few months after its release.

WOW lots of XPs still. I for one just gave the Win 7 slice a boost, with my newly built Win 7 rig.

XP’s first version still had the 137Gb-partition limit, which was fixed pre-SP1, but the first XP load-CDs with this fixed version were XP-SP1. From that point on, XP was easily pushed into corporate environments.

Vista was hounded too broadly to succeed - ever - and the relatively quick announcement of it’s SP1 and then Win7’s projected delivery date almost ensure it wouldn’t receive migration in the more profitable corporate world.

Win7.0 was delivered as a solid version but because Microsoft’s Vista disaster was well-publicized, Win7-SP1 was the big event to its migration. But as just about every study shows now, there remains a large percentage of businesses running XP machines.

Win7.0 did receive some interesting praise after 3 months or so. We started seeing reviews and forum-writers say, “I don’t need to wait for SP1 - Win7.0’s good enough, right out of the box.” And that was true. It’s not like there were partition size limits, and the embedded SATA master driver worked/works just fine.

“Gee - I wonder why they didn’t use this code in XP-SP2 or SP3 then?”

Or like Win8’s start-up code for driver-loading… “Why wasn’t this done years ago?”

I wonder if we’ll see libraries and reception desks filled with Win8.1?

[QUOTE=debro;2686515]If you don’t count servers …

How do they measure this?
I have 5 pcs at home, and one virtualised pc, excluding a giveaway with Linux Mint.
Linux has a 50% market share on pc’s.

If you count the 2x Android phones, 2x Android tablets, and 1x Android tv Dongle mini pc, and adsl router, Microsoft is literally in the minority.

My wife hates Windows 8 with a passion. She’s described it as unusable and “f@#$ing useless”. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen her show any passion regarding computers.[/QUOTE]

Make wife happy by installing a start button in Windows 8. It boots straight to the traditional desktop and faster than Windows 7. You won’t even notice the new tiles if you don’t want them. I could understand your frustration if there was no workaround but there is and it’s a simple one at that.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2686599]Make wife happy by installing a start button in Windows 8. It boots straight to the traditional desktop and faster than Windows 7. You won’t even notice the new tiles if you don’t want them. I could understand your frustration if there was no workaround but there is and it’s a simple one at that.[/QUOTE]
I have classic shell installed.

She just hates windows 8 …
She opens a picture … BAM … fullscreen. She hates it.
She opens a PDF … BAM … fullscreen. She hates it.
She opens the internet … BAM … fullscreen. She hates it.

I’ve changed the default applications to avoid, and installed classic shell to elevate it from “stupid toy” to “Real PC” status… but she just hates windows 8.

The damage is already done.

If it was a touch screen, she might show some sympathy for the horrible interface that looks like it was colour coordinated by a blind child having an epileptic seizure. But it’s not. It’s a PC with a mouse and keyboard, and Windows 8 is unusable without a proper start menu … something that Microsoft obviously didn’t think about when they unleashed the Kraken on their customers.

My wife prefers Linux mint to windows 8, and can actually work in it, despite the lack of Microsoft office, and Microsoft everything.

It’s a good thing they’re re-introducing the start menu to windows 8 …

It’s still a real pity about the UGLY themes that were adopted for windows 8, after those beautiful aero-glass that were in windows 7.

My personal favourite was my next door neighbour, recently had a major fight with a (now ex) friend, and somehow windows 8 managed to dig out the only photo of this (ex) friend and put it as the first photo in the Windows 8 gallery program. There does not appear to be any way to change these gallery photo’s, apart from finding the offending photo and deleting it, to force the gallery program to find a new undesirable photo to display every time you open it.

God help anyone that leaves a naughty-pic collection on their HDD :wink:

Microsoft have really outdone themselves this time :wink:

I am not part of 4%