Windows 8 Laptops?

I need to buy my wife a laptop, it seems the local wally now only has the W8 in stock.
W8 doesn’t really appeal to me but the new laptops are cheaper and it appears perhaps a backlash is making the W7 laptops some higher in price.

Should I bypass W8 at all cost?
Give me your opinion for/against.

I just got a new Dell 17 inch with Win8 on it. I took out the hard drive which is a 1TB 5400 drive wiped it and installed it in the 2nd drive cage; then put a new 256GB SSD in for my primary drive.

I then reloaded Win8 Pro on the SSD and sure enough it found all of the necessary drivers during the install and this system is running great now.

You can tweak Win8 to replace the Win7 start menu and a couple other readily available tweaks and probably not ever miss Win7.

You can always get your laptop and first thing you do is create your recovery media and once you have that done you can wipe the drive and then reinstall with Windows 7 if you just cannot live with Win8.

Please understand I am not saying one OS is any better than the other; that is purely a personal choice for you.

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2670019]I just got a new Dell 17 inch with Win8 on it. I took out the hard drive which is a 1TB 5400 drive wiped it and installed it in the 2nd drive cage; then put a new 256GB SSD in for my primary drive.

I then reloaded Win8 Pro on the SSD and sure enough it found all of the necessary drivers during the install and this system is running great now.

You can tweak Win8 to replace the Win7 start menu and a couple other readily available tweaks and probably not ever miss Win7.

You can always get your laptop and [B][U]first thing you do is create your recovery media[/U][/B] and once you have that done you can wipe the drive and then reinstall with Windows 7 if you just cannot live with Win8.

Please understand I am not saying one OS is any better than the other; that is purely a personal choice for you.[/QUOTE]

Excellent advice.
However, if you decide that you want to run win7 try to find all the necessary drivers before starting the installation of win7.
But before you do that backup or original OS no matter what you decide to do.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2670018]I need to buy my wife a laptop, it seems the local wally now only has the W8 in stock.
W8 doesn’t really appeal to me but the new laptops are cheaper and it appears perhaps a backlash is making the W7 laptops some higher in price.

Should I bypass W8 at all cost?
Give me your opinion for/against.[/QUOTE]I personally run windows 8 pro on my desktop but with a few tweaks that Kipper mentioned I am used to windows 8 now and it took me quite sometime rather I would go back to windows 7 or not.
Well I finally decided to stick with windows 8 as for buying a laptop for the wife I would probably suggest a windows 7 OS over the windows 8 there is a real difference and learning curve with windows 8 over windows 7 you either love it or hate it.

If it were my wife I would buy a windows 7 over windows 8 less headaches in my situation.:slight_smile:

I start W8 in desktop and use it just like I used W7, but with the advantage that I’ve got the W8 metro apps available as well.
There are one or two older progs that worked ok on W7 but don’t on W8, but there are always alternatives these days.
In short, go ahead, you’ll soon get used to it.

[QUOTE=YogiBoar;2670060]I start W8 in desktop and use it just like I used W7, but with the advantage that I’ve got the W8 metro apps available as well.
There are one or two older progs that worked ok on W7 but don’t on W8, but there are always alternatives these days.
In short, go ahead, you’ll soon get used to it.[/QUOTE]

Don’t count Windows 7 out because it is the Old kid on the block. Endusers may go for it but insitution and business that rely of O/S that work won’t be jumping on W8 anytime soon. And all those work around that make Metro back to W7 desktop will disappear when M$ makes patches or updates that wipe those out and you be left back to Metro look. They aren’t about to loose their setup to how someone wants to change it.

What I recommended to a neighbor was to buy their new laptop and a new hard drive.

I took out the drive the computer was shipped with

Then installed the new drive (after formatting) and did a clean install
of windows7 on the new drive… after all the drivers and software was
installed I cloned an image of it to my archive.
Then cloned the installation directly to another drive identical to the fresh one
in the computer (my neighbor proved they were listening and bought TWO drives)
so they had a “ready swap” backup.

after finishing all that I took the Windows8 drive and HEAT SEALED it
in a anti-static bag.

If he ever needs to sell the notebook it can go out with the Toshiba OEM
750gb HDD with a virgin, never powered-up (Nope not even once)
Windows8 installation on it and he can then repurpose the pair of WD 750gb Black drives he bought.

Maybe this applies more to older HD’s, but don’t you need to spin up and use HD’s every so often to keep the discs charged? Also, having been screwed over by not burning recovery OS DVD’s when I first got my Toshiba C2D laptop, I would have made Recovery DVD’s for the W8 OS first.

I recently had to set up an original honest-to-god IBM AT computer so I could extract a copy of the ancient computer game “jet” from an old HDD for a friend that was setting up an old computer as a display for a museum

The drive had been untouched in a static bag since it was packed before moving here from NewJersey in September of 1995. the files recovered perfectly.

as for “new systems” I’ve learned enough that before first power up on the OS
on a new computer I actually open the optical drive with a release pin and make my first boot with a clonezilla disc and snatch a clone of the un-initialized operating system installation.

Why do I do that? on Dells and HP’s that OS install is “preactivated”,
but not yet “married” to the MoBo Serial number.

consider the deeper ramifications and implications of that fact…

But also that it’s also preloaded with a rather specific set of chipset
and other hardware drivers… so while you could use it on another computer the hardware needs to be indentical for it to work right.

Manufacturers are LAZY you don’t actually think they copy an OS onto each of 125,000 HDD’s already installed into the computers one at a time do you?

Nor do they expect new computer owners to have to flip the case over and
type in that 25digit alpha numeric code…

There is not much changes from win7 to 8. Win 8 not bad but i do not like that icon pop up screen were the start menu suppose to be. Buy it if its cheaper, you can always downgrade.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2670151]
Nor do they expect new computer owners to have to flip the case over and
type in that 25digit alpha numeric code…[/QUOTE]
New computers with OEM preinstalled windows 8 don’t have that “25digit alpha numeric code” on the back side anymore. The license information is now stored in what formerly has been the Bios. So, MS now managed to technically couple the OS with the computer. :frowning:

Michael