Windows 8 is called the new Windows Vista – inside Microsoft

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 8 is called the new Windows Vista – inside Microsoft[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2009/07/vista-670x502.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft employees call Windows 8 the new Windows Vista, according to usually well informed Microsoft watcher Paul Thurrott.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-is-called-the-new-windows-vista-inside-microsoft-70241/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-is-called-the-new-windows-vista-inside-microsoft-70241/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Here’s part this isn’t a suprise…

Metro never became popular on the desktop

This is never a replacement for a truly Desktop Start menu functions no matter how much they sugar coat it…

Windows 8.1 Microsoft added a start menu replacement, the ‘start tip’ and an option to boot directly to the desktop.

Give me my Windows 7 and I can get right down to business and working or playing or better yet customize how I want it too and feel not what M$ wants or needs to have so they can sell their Apps Store.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2716970]

Give me my Windows 7 and I can get right down to business and working or playing or better yet customize how I want it too and feel not what M$ wants or needs to have so they can sell their Apps Store.[/QUOTE]

agreed :iagree: me to personally would choose win 7 hands down :bow:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2716970]Here’s part this isn’t a suprise…

This is never a replacement for a truly Desktop Start menu functions no matter how much they sugar coat it…

Give me my Windows 7 and I can get right down to business and working or playing or better yet customize how I want it too and feel not what M$ wants or needs to have so they can sell their Apps Store.[/QUOTE]

It never was a replacement. I never saw a single person on this website who daily uses Metro instead of conventional Windows desktop with Windows 8. Windows 8 has had both Metro and conventional desktop. The fact that Windows 8 has Metro in addition to conventional desktop does not in itself makes the product inferior to Windows 7 because Windows 8 IS Windows 7 + Metro.

The Metro was not intended to please Windows XP and Windows 7 users. It was invented to attract those who had never used Windows or similar GUI-based OS. It does look better and it IS far easier to use.

There are also thousands of UNIX-derived operating systems. You can always choose any of such systems to replace or complement Windows 8.

So, why are you posting how much you hate Windows 8 so often and so many times? Why do you feel the need to repeat the same or similar sentence for months on almost any thread relevant to Windows 8? You are so desperate to fill every corner of this website that discusses Windows 8 with these posts? Just ask the Management to have a Windows 7 forum where you can say how much you like it. Of course you will not do that.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2716996]It never was a replacement. I never saw a single person on this website who daily uses Metro instead of conventional Windows desktop with Windows 8. Windows 8 has had both Metro and conventional desktop. The fact that Windows 8 has Metro in addition to conventional desktop does not in itself makes the product inferior to Windows 7 because Windows 8 IS Windows 7 + Metro.[/QUOTE]

It was to replace Windows 7 with Windows 8 what part did you not get and why release Windows 8 if it wasn’t to replace Windows 7? Windows 8 never had a true Desktop UI so one needs to stop thinking otherwise. Windows 7 isn’t Windows 8 Metro-your making such a big leap one has to has to wonder.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2716996]The Metro was not intended to please Windows XP and Windows 7 users. It was invented to attract those who had never used Windows or similar GUI-based OS. It does look better and it IS far easier to use.[/QUOTE]

No it was intended to replace all previous Windows and again why release Windows 8 if that wasn’t the reason. Yeah looks better and easier to use as in what? Tablet/Windows phone that is really not what most want to begin with or needed. I can find better Desktop like Windows 7 a clean look without no tiles or icons M$ wants to put on my desktop. It doesn’t look better it looks worse even Apple Desktop looks like a Windows 7 style desktop and they have more style. So your “it does look better” is hitting the koolaid pretty hard.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2716996]There are also thousands of UNIX-derived operating systems. You can always choose any of such systems to replace or complement Windows 8.[/QUOTE]

Really Unix distro they are so scattered and not unified they will never muster enough of market share to scare M$. So let’s be factual and realistic on which O/S is what everyone wants to be like M$ O/S but not the Metro.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2716996]So, why are you posting how much you hate Windows 8 so often and so many times? Why do you feel the need to repeat the same or similar sentence for months on almost any thread relevant to Windows 8? You are so desperate to fill every corner of this website that discusses Windows 8 with these posts? Just ask the Management to have a Windows 7 forum where you can say how much you like it. Of course you will not do that.[/QUOTE]

Hate have you not read anything from my other posting? I guess not I used Windows 8 preview and that experience in attempting to use it was just about worthless when trying to do the same actions I would do on Windows 7 is not the same nor look the same. And where did I say I hated Metro I express frustration on how M$ with one bonehead move alienated all the Windows user in their own agenda pursuit of beating Apple and selling their Windows Apps store of which was a flop let alone tablet/surface…of which you hearing nothing about anymore??? Windows alone was a selling point and Metro was no starter to begin with and they failed to listen to testers and preview users and rather then learn they called them dum and stupid and didn’t know what they were talking about. And guess what now looks who got the door shown to them…? I give you 1,000 guess to guess who it is…

I did choose Windows 7 last year. One of the benefits on building your own rigs is you can install whatever O/S you want, instead of being forced to take Win 8 on a new HP etc.

I spoke too soon about HP, didn’t read the earlier post about how HP is now actually marketing Win 7 computers with a “back by popular demand” slogan. What a slant against Win 8!

What an insult for Vista as it is an visually attractive OS and still software backwards compatible to WinXP. I am still using Vista in an VM for older software not running/performing in Win7.

Win8 was a smelly brain fart for the desktop - ugly UI, compatibility issues and problems hence most people return to 7. Compulsory MS email account was the last nail in that coffin sealing its fate.

MS now uncovered as the biggest spyware manufacturer on this planet, NSA backdoors in all software, will have a hard time ahead to recover from the traitor image no matter which OS they offer next.

my2cents

It’s a shame all the haters of Windows 8.1 haven’t learned or bothered to do a bit of customization. It can be easily transformed back into a state that works just like Windows 7, and you get the extra features that Windows 8 brought with it. By that I don’t mean the tiles, which are there primarily for tablet/phone use.

@Millennium12,

It’s not compulsory to have a MS email account. You can use your own email account and link it to Live services or just use the old school user name and password to log into Windows.

I’m still using Vista as my desktop OS. My version has been tweaked a lot & works well for most things.
I have Windows 7 on my laptop . I like it too.

@FreqNasty_RiseS

Win8 now has been abandoned by MS working on v9 for reasons I am not responsible for :wink:

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2717161]It’s a shame all the haters of Windows 8.1 haven’t learned or bothered to do a bit of customization. It can be easily transformed back into a state that works just like Windows 7, and you get the extra features that Windows 8 brought with it. By that I don’t mean the tiles, which are there primarily for tablet/phone use.[/QUOTE]

It’s called Windows 7 why should I have to use 3rd party software to get what I can do in a full Windows 7 install. That’s the part you didn’t get either. What extra features are you talking about I see no real useful features??? Tiles is what W8 was all about seems you forgot that part. Sounds like you failed to comprehend what the W8 problems where on the get go was. This was something the tester and preview users reported back to M$ but they called the tester and preview users dum and stupid and didn’t know what they were talking about that in itself show no real listening…which resulted in a failed W8 product to start with. And haters - man you don’t read alot of the replies only those you want to read don’t you…

@coolcolors

There are improvements in search, file explorer, task manager, multi os boot, start up and shutdown times are far quicker in Win8. Native support for USB 3.0. Windows 8.1 adds NFC printing, mobile broadband tethering and auto-triggered VPN.

If you don’t want to add a third party app that’s fine but I’ve customized Win 8.1 to get better performance than Win 7 with the same interface as Windows 7. I’m sorry that you haven’t been able to do the same.
Why did you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 when you could probably do what you want using XP?

@Millenium12

Windows 8/8.1 is by no means perfect out of the box for desktop computing. I was going to stay with Windows 7 until i customized Windows 8.1 for a pure desktop experience which delivers enhanced features and performance.
MS starts developing the next OS as soon as they have finished production on the previous regardless of whether it is considered a success or a flop. They haven’t abandoned Win8. They will still release updates and improvements for years to come.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2717156]What an insult for Vista as it is an visually attractive OS and still software backwards compatible to WinXP. I am still using Vista in an VM for older software not running/performing in Win7.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have an older laptop with Vista on it and it has worked flawlessly over the years. Vista just needed 3gb or more of RAM to run well. It does not have near the negative issues of Windows 8 from a functionality aspect. I would rather have Vista than W8.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2717332]@coolcolors

There are improvements in search, file explorer, task manager, multi os boot, start up and shutdown times are far quicker in Win8. Native support for USB 3.0. Windows 8.1 adds NFC printing, mobile broadband tethering and auto-triggered VPN.

If you don’t want to add a third party app that’s fine but I’ve customized Win 8.1 to get better performance than Win 7 with the same interface as Windows 7. I’m sorry that you haven’t been able to do the same.
Why did you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 when you could probably do what you want using XP?[/QUOTE]

That is such a old line and has no real factual truth to support it and the difference is so minimal you couldn’t perceive it. You can post all sorts of numbers but in the end of the day you don’t see those numbers you either have it on or off. Yeah keep saying you don’t use 3rd party app to get W7 interface that isn’t going to happen-I like how you try to justify using 3rd party and claiming it’s not like W7 in other words your a W7 users but use W8 but still cling onto the claim you use W8. That’s a “Alice in Wonderland” that one should toss out the “bathtub and sink”. And again let’s not talk about it’s fast that is such a stretch that you benefit nothing from it-this such a old line that doesn’t nothing for improved computing usage. Customize W8 you mean use 3rd party software to make it look like W7-that makes W8 pretty worthless as a O/S if that is the case.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2717333]@Millenium12

Windows 8/8.1 is by no means perfect out of the box for desktop computing. I was going to stay with Windows 7 until i customized Windows 8.1 for a pure desktop experience which delivers enhanced features and performance.
MS starts developing the next OS as soon as they have finished production on the previous regardless of whether it is considered a success or a flop. They haven’t abandoned Win8. They will still release updates and improvements for years to come.[/QUOTE]

You got to be kidding improvements…I can tell you alot of users are more concerned with their Facebook email and all those fancy W8 updates aren’t going to improve everyday computing as much as one like to think. No, it’s not perfect out the box but when you think inside the box and call testers an preview users dum and stupid and don’t know what they are talking about tells how much lack of intelligence M$ has. And think pushing the O/S where the sun don’t shine is going to make sales-think again. During the same time frame release of W7 got accepted way faster then W8 did during its release time. It’s already a flop so one should get off the high horse sales went bust and only reason they sold W8 was they threatened pc makers to sell W8 machine or loss out and what would you thing the pc makers would do??? That isn’t rocket science to know what they would do. People are leaving XP and looking to go Windows 7 also there are recognized sites that has ISO images of Windows 7 to download as for the license I think M$ would gladly take the money and activate those users-take a good look at Corporations and Institutions they just are finally migrating to Windows 7 and you think they want Windows 8 keep dreaming.

[QUOTE=UTR;2717365]I agree. I have an older laptop with Vista on it and it has worked flawlessly over the years. Vista just needed 3gb or more of RAM to run well. It does not have near the negative issues of Windows 8 from a functionality aspect. I would rather have Vista than W8.[/QUOTE]

Here’s my .02. I have Dell 1525, XPS M1710, XPS M1730, Gateway M-6860, P-6860FX, P-78111FX and HP DV4, DV6 all with Windows 7 Ult SP1 and loaded the closet vista x64 for those laptops and they run perfectly fine as thou there were fresh from the electronics store. Also have gateway NV52, NV79 with Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and they run perfectly fine as well and they actually improve the computer value since they can run and use W7. They all have 4-8gig Ram and CPU T8100 going to upgrade to T9300 but they work fine with those upgrades. Yeah, those upgrades cost but what doesn’t cost money?? I could get new laptop but those older one fits my needs. Oh and I did get a Toshiba A205 upgrade to T7200 and 4gig ram and it loaded and can use W7x64 Ult Sp1 without any problems. So even a Old Toshiba can use and run W7.

@coolcolors,

Seems you start typing gibberish and misunderstand things when you get flustered about Windows 8. Let me know your native language and I will do a google translation for you kid.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2717422]@coolcolors,

Seems you start typing gibberish and misunderstand things when you get flustered about Windows 8. Let me know your native language and I will do a google translation for you kid.[/QUOTE]

So is this what it has gone down to name calling and lowest denominator now aren’t we. Well when you learned ethics then come back and talk to me.