Windows 8 has gone bad

vbimport

Oh boy, I seem to have gotten myself in quite a pickle :doh:. About 2 months ago I got a new laptop, A ThinkPad (my favorite) E420. Specs here: http://bit.ly/pvukte. So I was browsing the interwebs one day and I found a Developer Preview of Windows 8 :cool:. Being all awesome, I go and install it the minute after hoping that nothing bad would happen. Boy was I wrong.

Make BACKUPS!

Here is my question: How can I install a new copy or Windows 7 Home Premium on my ThinkPad without buying a disk. (I have the code on bottom of my laptop, and It seems that I have some recovery partitions).

Btw, I did make backups of my files/programs.

[QUOTE=comsa42;2604684]Oh boy, I seem to have gotten myself in quite a pickle :doh:. About 2 months ago I got a new laptop, A ThinkPad (my favorite) E420. Specs here: http://bit.ly/pvukte. So I was browsing the interwebs one day and I found a Developer Preview of Windows 8 :cool:. Being all awesome, I go and install it the minute after hoping that nothing bad would happen. Boy was I wrong.

Here is my question: How can I install a new copy or Windows 7 Home Premium on my ThinkPad without buying a disk. (I have the code on bottom of my laptop, and It seems that I have some recovery partitions).

Btw, I did make backups of my files/programs.[/QUOTE]

You will have to call customer service for the thinkpad and order youself some recover cd/dvds to reboot back to factory settings. That is the only option you have if Win8 wiped out the HDD. That COA is only for the factory install and will not work on standalone if you try it as it was specifically made just for that thinkpad and nothing else.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2604686]You will have to call customer service for the thinkpad and order youself some recover cd/dvds to reboot back to factory settings. That is the only option you have if Win8 wiped out the HDD. That COA is only for the factory install and will not work on standalone if you try it as it was specifically made just for that thinkpad and nothing else.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, I don’t feel like picking up the phone. Are you absolutely sure that I cannot use the extra partitions with the cool lenovo logos on them to recover windows 7?

If the restore partitions are intact, you should, in fact, be able to reinstall Win 7 from them. You will also have to authenticate your install online, and possibly talk to someone on the phone from Microsoft for activation.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2604690]If the restore partitions are intact, you should, in fact, be able to reinstall Win 7 from them. You will also have to authenticate your install online, and possibly talk to someone on the phone from Microsoft for activation.[/QUOTE]

Yea I’m willing to call Microsoft. But I still don’t understand how I can restore from a partition. Please explain.

Thanks! :bow: I bow in your excellence in providing useful links.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2604690]If the restore partitions are intact, you should, in fact, be able to reinstall Win 7 from them. You will also have to authenticate your install online, and possibly talk to someone on the phone from Microsoft for activation.[/QUOTE]

Only talk to a person at Microsoft if ALL other options fail.

The first layer of people at microsoft will tell you need to buy windows again no matter what you tell them, and it simply isn;t true.

Before you call them try the automated phone activation first.

This tutorial will tell you how:

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Ok so this is where I stand. I figured I have several options, 1. Try to reset the old OS from the Windows.Old folder 2. Use Some thinkvantage tools recovery thing to recover my computer or 3. Buy Windows 7 all over.
Problems with these strategies:

1. I have seen many guides telling my how get windows vista or windows 7 back into xp, but I have not seen a guide that tells me how to do that from windows developer to windows 7.
  2. The thinkvantage tools ive been trying to set up are only available for windows 7 and xp, vista, so on. Xp mode or compatibility mode don’t help.
  3. Its boring and too expensive.

My new question, how can you set up the thinkvantage repair app that originally came with my computer, onto windows 8
I’m stumped. :eek: :doh:

It’s thinkpad? Press the blue thinkpad button at the startup screen and restore the laptop to factory default settings.

Here’s a thread about Win 7 downloads. http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html You can (probably) DL 7 and do a clean install, using the key on your laptop.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2604752]Here’s a thread about Win 7 downloads. http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html You can (probably) DL 7 and do a clean install, using the key on your laptop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot! Just what I needed. I’ll give it a try!

Random link 4 your amusement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wytn-_MSBo

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2604752]Here’s a thread about Win 7 downloads. http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html You can (probably) DL 7 and do a clean install, using the key on your laptop.[/QUOTE]
Interesting stuff. Thank you for those links.

I managed to make a very useful bootable USB drive to install Windows 7 Pro SP1 on it. I used these ISO files and the official Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool. Easy as pie.

Thanks for the links olyteddy. :slight_smile:

Despite being a Technet Plus subscriber, it has been a pain for downloading as it no longer uses the Microsoft File Transfer Manager, even in IE9. I’ve been trying to download Windows 7 x64 SP1 ISO and it kept failing midway (usually ~1GB downloaded) and also failed twice in Microsoft Download Manager, which was a recommended alternative to the File Transfer Manager going by posts on Technet forums.

I’m currently trying again with Free Download Manager, a download manager I use to use several years ago and it’s so far gone much further than the other attempts. If this fails, I’ll try a download from those links.

[B]Edit: [/B] The Free Download Manager utility successfully downloaded the ISO from Technet. It got stuck twice, first time at 96% and again at 99% where it endlessly said “Starting…” I stopped and resumed the download and it continued and thankfully the SHA1 calculation with HashCalc matched that on Technet. Now time to try out the Microsoft’s USB tool. :slight_smile:

[B]Edit 2: [/B] Either my USB flash drive doesn’t support boot or the Dell PC I’ve tried on is picky about it, saying “A disk read error occured”, so back to burning the trusty recordable DVD.

Alright, he links do work (I installed 32 bit by accident). I need to get the recovery partition working, If I go the the secret partition, view the secret files, and click on about the only executable there is it opens up a menu. Option A makes recovery media (recovery disk). Option B (the one I want) restores the computer to factory mode. If I go through all the warnings it tells me “Lenovo could not automatically remove this partition, please remove it manually”. I’m stumped. I tried admin and compatiblity modes and all the junk. It will not work. Please help?

Btw since I don’t have a laptop, I wrote all this on my iPod. There may be some typos due to autocorrect.