Windows 8 - General discussion

vbimport

I haven’t tried Windows 8 and the news regarding the removal of the start menu doesn’t really convince me for even trying. So I’m wondering, what is the general consensus on Windows 8?

What’s Metro like and is it easy to install?

The opinions of members can be read-> Here

[QUOTE=RexHunt;2640890]What’s Metro like and is it easy to install?[/QUOTE]

Actually you don’t have a choice in that: Metro will be installed you like it or not, and there is no way to get rid of it :doh:

No one will or can force me to use that crappor w8. :smiley:

The file system used in Windows 8 (ReFS, I think) constantly corrupts my NTFS internal storage drive.
Whenever I switch my OS drive from Windows 8 to Windows 7 (and vice versa) the system automatically runs CHKDSK on boot and makes correction to the file system.

Another observation, Windows 8 will not allow me to write to my USB flash drives.

Otherwise, there are customizations and modifications to address most user concerns about the Metro interface.

It appears that Microsoft is moving to a one-size-fits-all OS in a cost cutting effort. They will only have to support one OS for both Tablet devices and PCs.

Ugh, sounds nasty…

Windows8 is so BAD you really shoud try it (on a spare hard drive)

I find it impossible to discuss it intelligently without having tried it

And to try it is to really honestly despise it.

I agree 100% AllanDeGroot

I had to finally wipe the HDD that I had it on.I have no use for it at all.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2641245]Windows8 is so BAD you really shoud try it (on a spare hard drive)

I find it impossible to discuss it intelligently without having tried it

And to try it is to really honestly despise it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, DO NOT Dual Boot.

I have seperate removable drives for the different OSes, but they all share an internal NTFS storage drive. Windows 8 is reaping havoc on this drive.

Even Microsoft knows it is not a good OS

Those purchasing the Windows 8 Pro upgrade through Windows.com also will have the option of purchasing a backup DVD for $15 plus shipping and handling. Those preferring to buy from a local store, will be able to purchase a packaged DVD version of the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro will be available for $69.99 during this promotion.

Even they know they couldn’t charge anymore for it.

I think anyone who willingly sets up a Dual-boot or Multi-boot needs to have it explained that no matter how many OS’s they set up they have what I call “false redundancy”, because the reality is that you have ONE BOOTLDR.

And it isn’t necissarily the one for the first OS installed.

and should that one BOOTLDR become corrupted or the physical drive it’s on should fail you lose ALL of the operating systems.

Windows8 puts it’s own unique turd in the punchbowl… it’s BOOTLDR wipes the previous one, so once you have windows8 you cannot remove it.
and if you manage to create a dual-boot with Win8 you have created a ticking self destruct, because when Win8 shuts down permanently 90days after official release
ALL your OS installations stop working.

Does anyone actually READ the instructions from M$ on the Win8 Consumer preview download page?

I get the distinct impression that only about 1-of-20 do and about half of those actually understand what M$ says.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2641810]
Does anyone actually READ the instructions from M$ on the Win8 Consumer preview download page?

[/QUOTE]

You are joking, aren’t you?

Of course we all read EULAs, every letter, every word.

After all, we are bound by law.

[QUOTE=Nemesys;2641122]It appears that Microsoft is moving to a one-size-fits-all OS in a cost cutting effort. They will only have to support one OS for both Tablet devices and PCs.[/QUOTE]

Yet Microsoft still insists having separate home and pro versions. :confused: It would make much better sense to offer separate tablet and PC editions than separate home and business editions, especially since Windows Server requires a separate Client Access License for every individual PC or user that connects anyway.

I have also experienced file system corruption during my trial runs with the developer and customer previews. In fact, the customer preview totally keeled over after just 1 day of use, not to mention cause Windows 7 to chkdsk every single internal and attached drive. As for the Bootloader, I disconnected all hard disks apart from the spare HDD when I installed Windows 8, so it only had one place for its Bootloader. :wink:

So far I only briefly tested the release preview and couldn’t be bothered booting back into it now.

I have put all RC’s on a separate HDD,cause you just never know what might happen with the new stuff trying to mix with the older stuff.

I have a few old 30 and 40 Gig HDD’s for that purpose.

[QUOTE=bean55;2641814]I have put all RC’s on a separate HDD,cause you just never know what might happen with the new stuff trying to mix with the older stuff.

I have a few old 30 and 40 Gig HDD’s for that purpose.[/QUOTE]

Smart move bean55.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2641819]Smart move bean55.:)[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree: I always thought so :bigsmile:

Windows 8 can get on MSDN anytime, any MSDN subscribers here?

Using a convertible tablet I think win8 is pretty good, works alot better and faster and windows 7. I hated trying to navigate with touch features in win7.

It is on Technet Plus (x64 & x86) to both Standard and Professional subscribers:

The Enterprise version is also listed (both x64 & x86), but only available to Technet Professional subscribers.

A 90 day evaluation of Windows 8 Enterprise x64 / x86 can be obtained here.

You need to sign in with a Windows live account (e.g. Hotmail, MSN, etc. account) to download. At the moment, the download link seems to be down (gives me “Unknown error”), so might be worth trying later.