Windows 8 comes without built-in DVD playback capabilities

vbimport

MS introduced built-in DVD playback capabilities with certain Vista versions and (later) Windows 7 (Starter and Basic Ed. excluded).

With Windows 8, MS plans to remove these decoders again and sell them separately as part of a “Media Center Package”. MS believes, the demand for MPEG2 playback (especially DVD) is shrinking in favour of online media (Youtube, MPEG4, HTML5), and removing MPEG2 decoders by default would give benefits on the cost side.

So, users who need (or want) MPEG2 playback will have to purchase either MS Media Center software or similar products from Cyberlink, Corel etc.

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/03/making-windows-media-center-available-in-windows-8.aspx

Michael

Why buy an expensive (and mostly) useless software when you can get everything with a freeware product like VLC? :bigsmile:

Will VLC work?

Pretty much every DVD writer comes with playback software (usually Cyberlink PowerDVD), including most OEM drives also, so I don’t see this being that much of an issue except those who insist watching DVDs through Windows Media Player/Center.

The free options like VLC and Media Player Classic HomeCinema have made this built in capability within Windows superfluous. Not everyone knows they exist however, so playback of dvds may be a problem for those not so well informed about the various media players that are available.

MPCHC would be my choice amongst the free programs as it seems to have smoother playback as a general rule.

Playing blu ray on a pc is more of a problem, since there are no free programs that will play them straight from the disc and the version of PowerDVD that is usually included with a BD drive is intentionally crippled in certain ways. MPCHC will playback the main movie, but only on unencrypted blu ray.

I decided to post a story about this and Windows Media Center being sold separately on the news page.

This will likely be a good reason not to upgrade to Windows 8, especially with Microsoft forcing regular Windows 8 customers to upgrade to the Pro version to get Media Center.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2633064]
With Windows 8, MS plans to remove these decoders again and sell them separately as part of a “Media Center Package”. MS believes, the demand for MPEG2 playback (especially DVD) is shrinking in favour of online media (Youtube, MPEG4, HTML5), and removing MPEG2 decoders by default would give benefits on the cost side.[/QUOTE]

Like yeah right M$ not everyone has broadband or fiber to get streaming or have limits on their bandwidth usage by some ISP so that rules it out from the starting gate. They believe that is about much as I believe M$ and windows 8 as well…

[QUOTE=Seán;2633083]
This will likely be a good reason not to upgrade to Windows 8, especially with Microsoft forcing regular Windows 8 customers to upgrade to the Pro version to get Media Center.[/QUOTE]

That is one reason it will be dead before it gets out of the door…Windows7 will run circles around W8 flop…

This seems to be a pattern with MS . Put out a fairly good OS & follow it with a “flop” OS.
Most of us use something other than MS WMP or WMC to play video anyway.
I think the last time I even had WMP on was when someone posted a problem with it.

Mciahel
I wouldn’t worry about it they will add it.
How can user’s watch their dvd’s without the
software for playback?:bow:

[QUOTE=zap em;2633140]Mciahel
software for playback?:bow:[/QUOTE]With 3rd party software no problem. Same as with XP.

Michael

[QUOTE=zap em;2633140]Mciahel
software for playback?:bow:[/QUOTE]

I already have Windvd 11 pro and VLC to play my dvd. And Windvd is a strong candidate for all my dvd and bd media.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2633144]With 3rd party software no problem. Same as with XP.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it works like XP wherein you only had to use the PowerDVD trial version once to keep the codec…:wink:

This is why I have a dedicated software made to play dvd and BD media to avoid any pitfalls…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2633150]I wonder if it works like XP wherein you only had to use the PowerDVD trial version once to keep the codec…;)[/QUOTE]Especially with hardware (including the computer itself) you very often get an OEM version of DVD player software.

There are rumors that PowerDVD 12 does no longer share their codecs with the entire system. :eek: Not sure if this is confirmed.

Michael

Figures. They probably have closed that knothole by now. I haven’t had PowerDVD since ver5 but back then you just had to install it and uninstall it and it would leave behind an MPEG2 codec.

Hm. The versions of PDVD I had access to, removed the decoders during deinstallation. :confused:
But this is expected behaviour.

Michael