Windows 8.2 brings back Start Menu as we know it

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 8.2 brings back Start Menu as we know it[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/04/myce-start-menu-windows-blue-670x502.png[/newsimage]

A Windows 8 update will bring back the start menu as we know it and allows Metro applications to run on the desktop.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-2-brings-back-start-menu-as-we-know-it-69815/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-2-brings-back-start-menu-as-we-know-it-69815/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

There was a media-conferencing event where Microsoft also touted “three divisions of Windows” - RT-ARM-Phone (Metro Touch), Desktop Traditional and Enterprise (Desktop without Always-connected-to-Microsoft but to corp-server).

Pretty much a complete reversal from the last few months of drivel.

But they still didn’t address my complaints - Ballmer’s installing HIS fonts on MY computer, Ballmer refusing to let users customize every screen element BY screen-element and there was still a concern of “which” Start Menu would appear - the Classic with user customizations, or the Win7 “take it or else”.

Decision to bring back start menu is certainly welcome change. Personally I can’t stand metro crap anyways.

Well, it sounds like the light bulb over someone’s head at MS turned on. Let’s hope this is real change and not some PR crap they are trying to sell with no meaningful substance behind it.

Wait, you mean Microsoft is actually able to learn from their mistakes? Boy, Ballmer must be leaving earlier than expected. Now, if Microsoft could just do something about the bloat, I think a lot of users will flock to Windows much faster than Windows 7!

All they need to do now, is release Windows under some free lincense (such as the GPL), and I’ll need to reconsider whether or not to avoid it. (You know what that means… no Treacherous Computing!)

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2712679]Wait, you mean Microsoft is actually able to learn from their mistakes? Boy, Ballmer must be leaving earlier than expected. Now, if Microsoft could just do something about the bloat, I think a lot of users will flock to Windows much faster than Windows 7!

All they need to do now, is release Windows under some free lincense (such as the GPL), and I’ll need to reconsider whether or not to avoid it. (You know what that means… no Treacherous Computing!)[/QUOTE]

Ask Apple to permit Honhai and Lenovo to sell Mac. Only that will force Microsoft to release Windows that way.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712702]Ask Apple to permit Honhai and Lenovo to sell Mac. Only that will force Microsoft to release Windows that way.[/QUOTE]

What makes you think that Foxconn ( Honhai) would even want to sell Mac.?

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2712679]…Ballmer must be leaving earlier than expected…[/QUOTE]
Another fountain of truth!

You know, there HAS to be at least two camps in Microsoft - one pro-B, and one anti-B. There’s got to be several others that are making moves to appear to be Pro-Future, though - and they may not know whose coattails to hop on, or which choir to be singing in.

For the World’s Smoothest OS, somehow Ballmer’s assurances that “this IS the future!” make me wonder WHEN Microsoft will start seperating OS from UI once and for all. (And to think - it all started with that queer inclusion of claiming a Browser was a Fundamental Part of the OS instead of recognizing it as a proper App.)

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712702]Ask Apple to permit Honhai and Lenovo to sell Mac. Only that will force Microsoft to release Windows that way.[/QUOTE]

Never happen. Psystar tried to produce and sell Mac clones , but Apple sued the pants off of them and eventually they went belly up. I think Apple even sued to make sure that the company founders never tried to sell the program to load OSX onto PC’s or computers with the Apple OS on it again.

I wonder if they’re bringing back aero.uMy boss asked whether he be getting Windows 7 on his new pc. Was a little disappointed that I’ll be doing win 8.
He described it as ugly Windows for colour blind children.

I see more flaws in this roll out that miss the mark from the start.

This Windows update should be a wave of updates that will bring Windows 8.x, Windows Phone and Xbox One closer together from a user experience perspective. According to Thurrot this might be Microsoft’s attempt to make a consolidated OS.
This won’t fly with those wanting to just a Windows operation this is another lame attempt to make more data collection again not having learned from before again. I want separation not what M$ wants me to have.

It will be available as an option on Windows versions that support the desktop. This means likely only on PCs currently running Windows 8 and not on Windows RT devices.
Really a option this should be up to the users or installer to choose sounds like they haven’t learned yet. We and Installer should have the full option to Desktop or Metro on Desktop or RT devices not just one one platform. Another blunder Ballamer trying to get his dig in before he is shown the door.

Another interesting change Thurrot claims will be in Windows 8.2 is the option to run Metro applications in separate Windows on the desktop. Currently the Metro apps run in Metro and users need to switch between the desktop and Metro to multitask. By allowing Metro applications to run in separate Windows it’s easier to multitask between the two interfaces.
I believe this when I see it on a Desktop…then and only then would I consider trying it.

So far Microsoft has not confirmed any of the information above but Thurrot has a track record of posting reliable Microsoft inside information.
Only Ballamer and his kingdom is to blame for this. But regardless of what Thurrot says until I see Retail/OEM for standalone installer and gives them the option this is all speculation from Thurrot.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2712847]Never happen. Psystar tried to produce and sell Mac clones , but Apple sued the pants off of them and eventually they went belly up. I think Apple even sued to make sure that the company founders never tried to sell the program to load OSX onto PC’s or computers with the Apple OS on it again.[/QUOTE]

That’s why I said “Ask Apple.”

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712904]That’s why I said “Ask Apple.”[/QUOTE]

That is why Apple will never dominate the Desktop or laptop market O/S. Stopping clone Apple will never let you fully dominate the market. Any stable computer PC build you make can and do run Windows. Apple on the other hand-no builder-no innovations…just straight nothing for innovations to really give Windows a run for it O/S money…You can give away Ipad and Mac Powerbook all you want you will never dominate M$ and its Office Suite and the O/S. The O/S may be lacking in Apple feel/looks but it is alot less expensive to purchase and own and use on any matching PC platform. Apple is expensive all the way around it no attempts to make sounds cheap will work. That is the Apple Everest until they fix that model they will never truly dominate the M$ market or come close to making any real big dent that M$ will wake up and take notice. Smart devices are something else this is mainly with the O/S market that M$ dominates head to toe…

[QUOTE=alan1476;2712796]What makes you think that Foxconn ( Honhai) would even want to sell Mac.?[/QUOTE]

They can sell Mac Pro with 1.6TB PCIe SSD for 2K dollars rather than for 5K and still make profits.

It may not happen exactly that way but some profound changes are bound to happen and that will force both Microsoft and Apple to change traditional ways of conducting business.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712969]They can sell Mac Pro with 1.6TB PCIe SSD for 2K dollars rather than for 5K and still make profits.

It may not happen exactly that way but some profound changes are bound to happen and that will force both Microsoft and Apple to change traditional ways of conducting business.[/QUOTE]

They had their chances lots of time and failed to do so-so that already tells you they will never take M$ as the top O/S to beat and use. Like another O/S that can truly give both a run for their money and no it’s not going to be Linux…that program is so scattered it has no chance in the expanding universe to even begin to matter…(pun)

So is this going to be an auto update or do you have to reinstall the whole OS?:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2713090]So is this going to be an auto update or do you have to reinstall the whole OS?;)[/QUOTE]

I would like a complete O/S install those updates break more then they help… :sad:

the option should never have been took out, note the screenshot at the top is startisback, which works really well

Almost there. Do we get aero back in 8.3? Most of us are running the OS on PC’s fully capable of rendering the transparency effects.

“Start Menu as we know it”. I’ll believe that when I see it!

I don’t see Microsoft ever backing down on anything just to please their customers. Like the Government, they are convinced they know what’s best for us, regardless of what we might think we want.