Windows 8.1 start menu still won't be the start menu you're used to

vbimport

I just posted the article Windows 8.1 start menu still won’t be the start menu you’re used to.

The start menu that will likely re-appear in Windows 8.1 (Blue) but will not be the start menu you’re used to

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-1-start-menu-still-wont-be-the-start-menu-youre-used-to-67271/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-1-start-menu-still-wont-be-the-start-menu-youre-used-to-67271/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The menu will be full screen and apps that are used most will be displayed most prominent.

So once again M$ has determined that users are too stupid to order things their own way?

“Windows 8.1 start menu won’t be the start menu you’re used to.”

And that just killed all possibility of me switching to Win8 any sooner than is absolutely necessary. Since all this “no-start-menu” crap started, I’ve actually switched to Launchy as a means to launch my programs. I find that it works very well. I won’t ever use Metro if I can help it.

Newsflash;

Flood alert for low lying areas around Redmond Washington.
Tsunami Warning issued for Victoria and Vancouver BC.

Very large toilet in Redmond flushed and carrying Microsoft’s share prices with massive outflow.

And I thought Microsoft had learned their lesson about full-screen menus.

Looks like it will be another flop again. They never learn do they. The end-users are your bread and butter and shoving it down their throat leaves a bad tastes and Apple look better and better…

I’ve got two retail copies of Windows 8 Pro that have been sitting on the shelf since last year. I guess I’m in no real hurry to “upgrade” either system. In fact, the way Microsoft is going, they may never get installed (just like my previous copies of Vista). Windows 7 with Classic Start Menu works just fine for me. Fortunately, I only paid $39 each for the Win 8 retail packages, so I guess I could just eventually sell them. Looks like Microsoft has gone to an “every other version is a good one” schedule (Win 98SE, XP, Win 7) with the ones in between (Millennium, Vista, Win8) just interim fundraisers.

[QUOTE=pcarey;2688960] Looks like Microsoft has gone to an “every other version is a good one” schedule (Win 98SE, XP, Win 7) with the ones in between (Millennium, Vista, Win8) just interim fundraisers.[/QUOTE]

There are 3rd party start menu programs to allow W8 the W7 look.

No, at this rate, they will break the mold…Vista was never as bad as the press it got…people that don’t won’t to hack W8 and are used to the past generations of Windows will definitely put W8 as the sorriest microsoft OS ever that came out.

$39 is about what W8 is worth with its non-configurable goofy metro gui stupidity…(as I start to daydream and ask myself)…I still have multiple copies of XP and W7, along with one copy of Vista, this will not affect me and if I were to get W8 and they haven’t fixed to keep the goofy metro gui from firing up, I would definitely hack it with one of those 3rd party start menus.

I tihnk the point for most of is that we shouldn’t have to pay for 3rd party software to bring back the start menu.

I’m not eager at all to shell out my money to MS just to have to buy Start8. I’m content to keep using windows 7.

WOW - Microsoft really is clueless!

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2689218]WOW - Microsoft really is clueless![/QUOTE]

Microsoft is NOT Clueless FYI
I believe that Windows 8 is better than any other operating system. I do not think I want the start menu any time soon. I will have the option disabled for the start menu.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2688874]And I thought Microsoft had learned their lesson about full-screen menus.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft does not need a lesson, they need people to WAKE UP!!!:a. So I am happy with the start screen :D:D:D.

Start screen + me = :bow:

[QUOTE=sb010301;2689971]Microsoft is NOT Clueless FYI
I believe that Windows 8 is better than any other operating system. I do not think I want the start menu any time soon. I will have the option disabled for the start menu.[/QUOTE]

Well then they should’ve given the installer that option…FYI they are clueless. Tablets aren’t the norm nor will it ever compete with Desktop or Laptop for power and computing resources. If they weren’t that backward thinking or not thinking outside the box installer and users would have the option Start Menu desktop or Metro in W8. That in itself would have a better selling point and increase more users to go W8 rather they revert W8 machine to W7 machine instead. W8 by itself is worthless for a older computer or laptop that has no touch screen and even with the 3rd party addon why should one have to spend money for something that should be a option of which interface to install to begin with. One spends enough money to get the O/S would one like to have the choice to custom install as they like to Desktop or Metro. That very simple and not a hard choice to let the users choose. For all those talking about how it’s better most if not many just use it for Web surfing, email, chat, Skype will never really notice much difference but those hard core users…gamers, video and photo enthusiast have program that may not register according to M$ definitions to properly work or create the right link and icon to work. I know CS6 will install on W7x64 Sp1 but it doesn’t create accounts and can be located if you use your start menu and go to program files you can find it but under W8 those tiles I doubt will have when installed a Adobe link and probably one has to dig to find it. And speed is a relative term and both O/S on the same setup will show the same close results so the speed question is a mute point. This comes down to “SOFTWARE” compatibility to install and work properly in the O/S and the O/S can make or break the software.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2689994]Well then they should’ve given the installer that option…FYI they are clueless. Tablets aren’t the norm nor will it ever compete with Desktop or Laptop for power and computing resources.[/QUOTE]
I disagree with the above. Tablets are the norm, and eventually they will be in competition.

It’s true at the moment, that they are useless for any serious work, but advances in interfaces & connectivity will mean that simply, people will be able to carry their work with them and interface it to something larger, and control it differently.

Tablets in their current forms are tinker toys, but with some intelligent design, can be very usefully deployed as interfaces to complex devices, lighting systems, audio systems, security systems, servers and etc. I use my phone to control my xbmc on a htpc and Android xbmc in different rooms.

Tablets are currently very ill equipped to do any useful creative work. They’re still consumption devices … But that’s okay. Read/write - consume/create - 95/5.

Correct, debro, tabs are mere high priced toys.

Here is the burning question.
Will any manufacturer of these tablets ever bring them into the status of a serious
product that could rival a notebook/laptop for productivity?

Part of the answer to that is not if tablets can’t use a microsoft operating system.
Yeah, I have thought about linux distros or mac but let’s face it, there are many more programs for MS OS than for these others…and MS OS doesn’t have the drawbacks of linux or mac…linux, one has to fiddle with it too much to get stuff to work correctly and mac…well…is too proprietary.

I have my doubts that tablets will ever have the full unfettered versatility or power of a laptop…if they do, enlighten me…
Really I don’t think the powers to be will ever allow that to happen.
And if they do, I would imagine the price will be more than what most will want to pay.

If microsoft wants to sell a lot of tablets, they will make full productivity tablets at lower prices than Ipads…while not hamstringing the OS in the process…part of which means letting the user choose booting to desktop and a start menu instead of the goofy-stupid metro crap.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2690017]Will any manufacturer of these tablets ever bring them into the status of a serious
product that could rival a notebook/laptop for productivity?

Part of the answer to that is not if tablets can’t use a microsoft operating system.
Yeah, I have thought about linux distros or mac but let’s face it, there are many more programs for MS OS than for these others…and MS OS doesn’t have the drawbacks of linux or mac…linux, one has to fiddle with it too much to get stuff to work correctly and mac…well…is too proprietary.

If microsoft wants to sell a lot of tablets, they will make full productivity tablets at lower prices than Ipads…while not hamstringing the OS in the process…part of which means letting the user choose booting to desktop and a start menu instead of the goofy-stupid metro crap.[/QUOTE]
Mac OS & Android are both linux based.
A large variety of linux programs really only require some basic modifications and recompilation to the correct architecture to be compatible.

While the large library of windows programs will run on x86 based tablets, microsoft isn’t pushing x86 based tablets, but Windows RT (ARM) based tablets.

The reason for this is: Microsoft doesn’t want you to use the million freeware/existing programs already available on x86/windows architecture, they want those programs to be recompiled and submitted to the Microsoft app store so they can earn a few pennies for them :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2690019]Mac OS & Android are both linux based.
A large variety of linux programs really only require some basic modifications and recompilation to the correct architecture to be compatible.[/QUOTE]
While Android is using a Linux based kernel, the Mac kernel (Darwin) is based on FreeBSD - a different Unix variant.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2689994]Well then they should’ve given the installer that option…FYI they are clueless. Tablets aren’t the norm nor will it ever compete with Desktop or Laptop for power and computing resources. If they weren’t that backward thinking or not thinking outside the box installer and users would have the option Start Menu desktop or Metro in W8. That in itself would have a better selling point and increase more users to go W8 rather they revert W8 machine to W7 machine instead. W8 by itself is worthless for a older computer or laptop that has no touch screen and even with the 3rd party addon why should one have to spend money for something that should be a option of which interface to install to begin with. One spends enough money to get the O/S would one like to have the choice to custom install as they like to Desktop or Metro. That very simple and not a hard choice to let the users choose. For all those talking about how it’s better most if not many just use it for Web surfing, email, chat, Skype will never really notice much difference but those hard core users…gamers, video and photo enthusiast have program that may not register according to M$ definitions to properly work or create the right link and icon to work. I know CS6 will install on W7x64 Sp1 but it doesn’t create accounts and can be located if you use your start menu and go to program files you can find it but under W8 those tiles I doubt will have when installed a Adobe link and probably one has to dig to find it. And speed is a relative term and both O/S on the same setup will show the same close results so the speed question is a mute point. This comes down to “SOFTWARE” compatibility to install and work properly in the O/S and the O/S can make or break the software.[/QUOTE]
I can see you are just one of those people who don’t understand d Microsoft is growing. Sorry they won’t go away from the start screen UI. Sorry, No :disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree:

[QUOTE=sb010301;2690177]Sorry they won’t go away from the start screen UI. Sorry, No :disagree:[/QUOTE]
Then they have to accept that people will be going away from Microsoft :iagree:

[QUOTE=debro;2690015]I disagree with the above. Tablets are the norm, and eventually they will be in competition.[/QUOTE]

Really and where did that info come from? The norm…remember what is “Norm” isn’t never the same from the same person.

[QUOTE=debro;2690015]It’s true at the moment, that they are useless for any serious work, but advances in interfaces & connectivity will mean that simply, people will be able to carry their work with them and interface it to something larger, and control it differently.[/QUOTE]

Actually they aren’t good for serious work…try graphics editing and Adobe CS6 and math equation computation and CAD work on tablets not going to happen that requires alot of computing resources of which only laptops and desktop can muster to do and have to expand when needed.

[QUOTE=debro;2690015]Tablets in their current forms are tinker toys, but with some intelligent design, can be very usefully deployed as interfaces to complex devices, lighting systems, audio systems, security systems, servers and etc. I use my phone to control my xbmc on a htpc and Android xbmc in different rooms.[/QUOTE]

Security…you got to be kidding so someone just has to steal your tablet and all your security is in the power of the hacker hand…now that is really security…

[QUOTE=debro;2690015]Tablets are currently very ill equipped to do any useful creative work. They’re still consumption devices … But that’s okay. Read/write - consume/create - 95/5.[/QUOTE]

This is a double standard here you talked about how is it they are the norm and now your saying are ill equipped so which is it? Little hypocrizie here don’t you think.

[QUOTE=sb010301;2690177]I can see you are just one of those people who don’t understand d Microsoft is growing. Sorry they won’t go away from the start screen UI. Sorry, No :disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree:[/QUOTE]

Seems like you missed the point and that is why Apple is still here to stay…and if posed correctly will overtake the M$ O/S domination. M$ isn’t growing by any leaps or bound from where I stand more like they are alienating their base users to go to MAC that is to obvious and simple to see.