Windows 7 Wont Detect External DVD Drive

vbimport

Hey guys…newbie posting out of total desperation and needing help!

I bought a Samsung SH-D162D DVD Drive in a USB enclosure to connect to my Toshiba Windows 7 laptop.

I cannot get windows to find it! When I plug in the USB cable the balloon comes up to say it has been installed, I can see it on My Computer for about 1 or 2 minutes then it drops off. It isnt listed in my hardware or anything.

It is set to slave, the IDE connector and power connectors are fine. Its gotta be a windows 7 problem cause it does show up very breifly. In the minute or 2 its there I cant do anything with it…it just hangs although it will open and close. Ive googled it and cant find anything…mainly registry issues but they didnt help.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

1. Try different USB ports
  2. Disable energy savings settings on each and every usb root hub of your computer
  3. Try another computer

[QUOTE=Smegory;2580066]Hey guys…newbie posting out of total desperation and needing help!

I bought a Samsung SH-D162D DVD Drive in a USB enclosure to connect to my Toshiba Windows 7 laptop.

I cannot get windows to find it! When I plug in the USB cable the balloon comes up to say it has been installed, I can see it on My Computer for about 1 or 2 minutes then it drops off. It isnt listed in my hardware or anything.

It is set to slave, the IDE connector and power connectors are fine. Its gotta be a windows 7 problem cause it does show up very breifly. In the minute or 2 its there I cant do anything with it…it just hangs although it will open and close. Ive googled it and cant find anything…mainly registry issues but they didnt help.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

If the drive is in an enclosure it needs to be jumpered to MASTER not SLAVE. Give that a go and see if it works for you.

Welcome to Club MyCE forum.

From lots of playing with hard drives in USB enclosures I believe that the master/slave setting
(or the incredibly stupid or “politically correct” Primary/secondary if you prefer) is irrelevant when
running through a USB interface.

but this sounds more like a hardware problem (power settings) than a “windows7” problem

Though in many cases in both Windows7 and Vista there is an “Important update” for windows that MUST be manually checked that disables autorun for anything other than optical media.

AD

Cheers guys…thanks for the help.

Ok, I changed the jumper to Master and tried all 4 USB ports on my laptop. I turned off all power settings I could but I dont quite know what this would do as the cd rom enclosure has its own power lead and transformer. I couldnt find anything to do with power settings for the USB…I may need a walkthru there. I also thried the microsoft support link but its not what my problem is…I tried the file anyway but it couldnt find the cd rom either. I also installed EVERY windows 7 update I could find. And I dont have another computer I can try it on until a few weeks away…

So its still not being found.

Heres exactly what happens from power off on the enclosure.

1 - I plug in the USB lead then turn on power to the enclosure.
2 - I quickly go to Start, Computer and I can see the CD Rom drive E next to my laptops dvd rom.
3 - The green bar at the top starts filling up from left to right and gets about half way then suddenly the CD Rom icon disappears and so does the green bar.
4 - It then flashes up under the laptops DVD Rom icon with a Local Disk drive E but only for a split second.
5 - Sometimes a balloon comes up saying installing device, then device successfully installed…but not every time.

And thats it…Im at a total loss and cant work it out.

Any more ideas?

It kind of sounds like the inclosure is losing its power. Maybe the power supply inside the inclosure or the transformer inline on the AC cord. Do you know anyone that has a external hard drive or optical drive that you could borrow and see if your laptop sees it?

I have an external hard drive and ive never had any problems with it…The type with its own power supply. Laptop sees it every time.

And the guy that sold me the CD rom drive assures me that he tested it on his XP computer before he sent it out to me.

Can you try different USB and power cables?

…as Mr. B alluded to (process of elimination):
Try the drive with a different PC.
If you can, try with an XP machine and a Windoze 7 machine, other than yours.
This can help you narrow the possibilities…

ok…ive now tried it on a different machine with XP. The PC picked it up straight away and I even listened to a cd from it to make sure…just need to find a windows 7 pc somewhere to try it on that…

The initial problem with such devices connected through usb 2.x and lower is the power consumption - this is they key issue.