Windows 7 woes (iTunes, EAC)

vbimport

Did some digging, but did not find the answer I was hoping for, so I hope that the brilliant minds over here can come up with some nice practical and simple solutions.

I got myself a new PC (see for details here) and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

All in all it is running smoothly, but a few problems exist.

Problem 1
When I connect my iPod Classic (last gen, 160GB) to my PC, using iTunes 9 (latest version), iTunes pretty much freezes and synchronizing is very slow (1 GB in over an hour) and freezes all of a sudden. Windows Exporer has troubles connecting to iPod as well.

Having read some other forums on this matter, one suggestion is adding a PCI card with USB connections or changing BIOS setting c-step (?). I couldn’t find the latter and I am hoping I can avoid the former.

Anyone have any good suggestions that are quick, simple (even I have to understand it :wink: ) and do not cost me extra?

Problem 2
I installed latest version of EAC (0.99 pre beta 5 I believe) with a recent version of LAME encoder. EAC loads fine, connects to freedb to load CD information, but when I want to rip the CD it crashes when the window pops up on where to store the files. This problem also exists when trying to look for WAV files. So basically the problem arises at the moment EAC opens the window to search a location on my computer.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance for your help. If there is any additional info you need, please let me know.

Did you happen to see this one?..
http://www.digital-inn.de/exact-audio-copy-english/39055-fix-windows-7-incompatibilities-bug-report.html

Nope, haven’t seen that…not until I clicked your link :wink:
Tried entering full directory instead of having EAC browse and that worked!!
Thanks! One down, one to go!

Taxman does eac make a m3u playlist after the extraction is finished?
I am trying to find out why it only makes a log file and not a m3u file, although i have selected the option to create m3u file.

[QUOTE=vroom;2477247]Taxman does eac make a m3u playlist after the extraction is finished?
I am trying to find out why it only makes a log file and not a m3u file, although i have selected the option to create m3u file.[/QUOTE]

No m3u file for me, sorry (don’t need that), but I will test it later for you

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2477090]

Problem 1
When I connect my iPod Classic (last gen, 160GB) to my PC, using iTunes 9 (latest version), iTunes pretty much freezes and synchronizing is very slow (1 GB in over an hour) and freezes all of a sudden. Windows Exporer has troubles connecting to iPod as well.

[/QUOTE]

How are you connecting you iPod?
Direct motherboard connection on the rear I/O panel or case front panel?

[QUOTE=Nemesys;2477266]How are you connecting you iPod?
Direct motherboard connection on the rear I/O panel or case front panel?[/QUOTE]

All currenct connections are direct motherboard connections (either on the front by internal cable or directly mounted backpanel).
Having read that a separate PCI card would solve problems, I am considering this (small investment of like 15 euros and I have a free slot for this)…but it would be perfect if this can be resolved without additional hardware.

Hi Tax, did you install the Intel INF software for the P55 chipset?
This installs all the required drivers, including USB.
I also have just got hold of a P55 chipset motherboard, and these drivers sorted out USB. :wink:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?sType=&agr=Y&ProductID=&DwnldID=18052&url=/18052/a08/infinst911_autol.exe&PrdMap=&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

Funny thing really, According to Intel website version 9.1.1.1019 is the latest, but when I tried to install it, it said I have a newer version installed already (9.1.1.1020)…I tried it anyway…
but it appears It didn’t solve anything…iTunes is still freezing when I connect the iPod…

Thanks for the effort though. Really sounds like a USB problem with this chipset in combination with Windows 7 64bit and the iPod…since the rest is working pretty smoothly.

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2477297]Really sounds like a USB problem with this chipset in combination with Windows 7 64bit and the iPod…since the rest is working pretty smoothly.[/QUOTE]

I just got out of a Chieftec Full Tower Case with front panel USB connections that would not work with most USB devices.

Would not work with external hard drives, flash drives, digital cameras etc,.
All my connections had to be done via a USB cable connected to the motherboard via the I/O panel.

I tried several media dashboards with USB ports to no avail. They all had the same issue as the USB ports built into the case.

Subsequently, I purchased a [B]powered[/B] USB hub and connected it directly to I/O panel on the motherboard. That worked like a charm.

After many years, I recently migrated the system to a Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Case and all ports are fully functional, including front panel USB ports.

For some strange reason it worked this morning…
I connected it to backpanel USB port (where it has been connected before) and now it is syncing at regular speeds…
Guess my impatience cost me 14 euros, as I can probably not cancel my order for the PCI USB card…oh well, never hurts to have it.

@Vroom: m3u file is created here in EAC, tried it yesterday and I can see it…

Thanks all for your support.

USB is pretty flaky technology.

I try to [B]avoid it whenever possible[/B] and opt for FireWire and eSATA if the options are available. I refuse to run USB external solutions.

Hopefully, your issue will remain as solved permanently.