Windows 7: Will you go 64bit or stay with 32bit?

On the 22nd of this month, Windows 7 will be released.
So will you go with a 64bit version or stick with 32bit?
Which version will you buy, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate?
Or will you give Windows 7 a miss, and stick with what you have?

I preordered Win7 Home Premium 64bit upgrade version, since they had a pretty good price for it at the time.

Too bad I’m not a student anymore, as MS is offering the full version of Home Premium for $30 to eligible students in the US. Here is the link for that if anyone is interested: http://win741.com/

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Already have my legit copy running now. :smiley: I got Ultimate x64.

It will be 32 bit for me due to some older hardware and programs I still use that have no 64 bit drivers. Also, I ran the 64 bit and 32 bit beta versions of 7 and there wasn’t a great speed difference between them with the programs I used. Even with 64 bit programs. The hassles just aren’t worth the incremental speed increase for me.

I’ve run Vista Home Premium x64 since launch, with virtually no issues (except a HP printer that took a year for a driver to come out), and have got Window’s 7 Home Premium on pre order.

Now I just need to decide whether to get a couple of SSD’s to run in RAID before the launch date :slight_smile:

I have one of each coming,
Preordered the Win 7 Home 32 and 64 bit versions, and will probably get an Ultimate version ,just not sure if that will be a 32 or 64 bit version.

The question should be … will you be ßilly enough to go with windows 7 - 32bit?
That’s with extra S :slight_smile:

I’ve already been on 64bit vista for over a year, I don’t think I could survive with less than 4gb of ram :stuck_out_tongue: not sure what version I’ll get yet, kinda depends on what I can get my student discount on…

IMO 32bit is dead, finally! we’ve had 64bit consumer grade cpus for 6 years now!

[QUOTE=jwill427;2447612]IMO 32bit is dead, finally! we’ve had 64bit consumer grade cpus for 6 years now![/QUOTE]

Absolutely and IMO it’s the only way to go. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=jwill427;2447612]IMO 32bit is dead, finally! we’ve had 64bit consumer grade cpus for 6 years now![/QUOTE]

It depends more on what software and peripheral hardware you have.

Sure i will be in the 64x wagon, but i am not sure if it will be home premium or ultimate, i will stay a little more with my windows XP for the moment.

I’m still undecided between Home Premium and Ultimate, as i don’t want to pay for features in Ultimate that i will never use. It will for sure be the 64bit version.

Like others here, i’ve been running Vista 64bit since its launch, and after SP1, i’ve had no problems with it, but the SSD enhancements in Win7 (TRIM) means i’ll for sure run Win7.

@jubjubbird
If you’re planning on two small SSD’s in RAID0 for the OS, i wouldn’t currently go that route, as TRIM may not be supported in RAID0. Instead, i’d get a single larger capacity SSD for the OS, either Indilinx or Intel based, and it will absolutely fly anyway. :wink:

For sure the x64 Ultimate for me on my main system but to save a few bucks Home Premium 64bit on my other system.

x64 Ultimate for me too whenever I find the time to spend on buying them and installing them… which could be a while… :slight_smile:

Both. x86 for the laptop since it’s a laptop and only has 2GB RAM. x64 for my stationary machines. Professional it is since that’s what Microsoft gave me.

[QUOTE=Dee;2447711]
@jubjubbird
If you’re planning on two small SSD’s in RAID0 for the OS, i wouldn’t currently go that route, as TRIM may not be supported in RAID0. Instead, i’d get a single larger capacity SSD for the OS, either Indilinx or Intel based, and it will absolutely fly anyway. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok, thanks for that. I’ve seen a few mentions of people getting these for a RAID setup (not here), so figured it was the way to go.

Not quite sure which drive to get as yet, the prices seem pretty volatile at present, and there’s lots of drives on pre-order, and not much actually in stock. Would like to spend >£250 for 128GB.

The rest of my system is getting on a bit, but that will be sorted early next year. (my E6300 C2D @ 3.2 :))

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2448094]Not quite sure which drive to get as yet, the prices seem pretty volatile at present, and there’s lots of drives on pre-order, and not much actually in stock. Would like to spend >£250 for 128GB.[/QUOTE]Currently the best bang at the moment, IMO.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-032-OC&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1427

The 120GB uses all channels on the Indilinx controller, and uses the very fast Toshiba NAND. The 120GB is currently the fastest combination, and the Agility should have TRIM support via a firmware update around the time of Win7 release.
The price is also well within your budget, and it’s in stock, and the warranty has also been updated to 3 years by OCZ. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2448150]Currently the best bang at the moment, IMO.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-032-OC&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1427

The 120GB uses all channels on the Indilinx controller, and uses the very fast Toshiba NAND. The 120GB is currently the fastest combination, and the Agility should have TRIM support via a firmware update around the time of Win7 release.
The price is also well within your budget, and it’s in stock, and the warranty has also been updated to 3 years by OCZ. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I had look at the OCZ, but though the write speed seems a bit low compared to some of the other drives. The price does seem good though. I was looking at the Crucial M225 series, but the prices have shot up around 20% in the last month or so.

I would have got one this weekend, except some idiot bashed my car, and the buggered off, so have got the excess to pay now. :doh:

@Dee

Would there be much performance improvement between the OCZ Agility and the Summit drive? The Summit is £12 more at ocuk. :confused: