Windows 7 slow start up

Hi,
My Windows 7 x64 is installed on an SSD. Until now things have been going on well, when I made a mistake. I used CCleaner to clean my computer, and quite carelessly deleted certain registry entries as well. From then on my computer has been slow to start up. It takes almost two minutes for desktop to appear. When I click Computr it takes a further 15 - 20 seconds for drives to appear. Same is the case with any application I open for the first time.
But the computer is really fast for the rest of the session. Things open in an instant. the problem is when I start (or restart) the computer, and that too only for the first few minutes.
I do not know how to correct it. i tried repairing with the installation disc, but strangely, I get an error message that I cannot do it with that disc, although it was the same disc I used for installing Windows. The message is someting like “This version of system recovery options is not compatible”. I think it has something to do with the motherboard and uefi. I don’t know.
Anyway I have this recovery disc I created. I used it but startup recovery option did not find anything. System restore is off, so cannot do anything with that.
Short of a complete re-installation, is there anything I can do?
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Does Windows 7 have a ‘re-set the PC and allow you keep your apps and data files’ like Windows 10 does?
If it does, that is probably the best way to proceed.
Make sure you backup any important files before you proceed.

Yes, Win 7 has something like this, but it also involves reinstalling Windows. The user files will then be moved to a folder (Windows.old) from where I can copy them back.
If the problem becomes really annoying I think I will do it.
Thanks for suggesting it. Much appreciated.

Your best bet is what you don’t want to do, which is wipe the drive and re-install Windows from scratch. but it’s worth it since everything will be in perfect running order at this point.

just backup your data to another hard drive or external hard drive or USB stick etc and wipe the drive and start fresh. but obviously at this point in time you want to switch to Windows 10 unless you have a program that won’t work with anything besides Windows 7 since Windows 7 stopped receiving security updates in Jan 2020. so as a general rule it’s a bad idea to use Windows 7 since it no longer receives security updates from Microsoft.

p.s. one can still upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for free (this worked last year in 2019 when I tried it and I have no reason to believe it still wont)

Don’t use such crap! If you do use it, make a copy of the registry first!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/

I also use Windows 7, I never upgraded. It is therefore irrelevant whether it is supported by Microsoft or not!

Windows 10 never, more to death!

Thomas

I´m not a fan of W10, but if you use a Windows also online it´s very risky to use an old OS which have a big market share.

The first thing is, ALWAYS do a backup of the registry entries CCleaner wants to remove. 2nd, do a in place upgrade installation of Windows; in other words, upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 7 (yes, this is allowed). This will keep all of your apps and data while restoring the missing registry entries. I would strongly suggest doing a FULL backup of your system beforehand, JUST IN CASE…

Or never use this tool :wink:

I know also ppl which killed their Windows with it, and it was more than some years ago.

CCleaner does usually backup the registry entries it removes. Since you suggest that removing certain registry entries caused your problem, the first thing I’d recommend is to restore those removed entries. As long as you haven’t already deleted the backups, it will be the simplest and quickest thing you can try.

If the machine is still misbehaving after a restart, then you can try some of the more drastic moves.

One thing about reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch - I had to spend a couple of days installing several hundred updates after I did that, so that’s a factor for consideration.

Run Msconfig and check the services that start up. you can disable non windows services to establish if one is causing a problem.