Windows 7 Release Candidate ... 5uck5

I for one would like to take the opportunity to congratulate Micro$oft on a Job well botched.

After releasing the Windows 7 beta, which was fast, easy, compatible, and generally a dream to use, they have royally shafted it, to release the pile of dung that Windows 7 RC is today.

The new release candidate is slow, incompatible & is everything that everyone hated about Vista.

On the first update with the latest network card drivers (on the windows update website) it stops networking for no apparent reason, waits for a few minutes and then starts working again!
Wtf? Vista SP1 fixed every network issue - have they based the network stack on original vista code?

Windows 7 RC installs compatibility drivers for SATA devices, and operates SATA devices in multi-word DMA2.
Wtf? Windows 7 beta installs the right drivers, and everything works immediately, at the right speed, in the right mode, flawlessly.

And after finding these niggling, but ridiculous issues, for no apparent reason, I have a media server running which quickly fills a 500MB buffer with 1080p video, and across gigabit ethernet, playback stutters, despite the full buffer.
Windows 7 beta works flawlessly … and so does vista SP1 … wtf?

Given that this is the experience I’ve got with using it for 3 days, seriously?
WTF?

Microsoft … fire your incompetent windows R&D team (thank god for the GFC!), and go back to the Windows 7 beta.

I was looking forward to the Windows 7 release!

Based on the Beta it’d actually have been worth the $$$, for once.
Based on the Release Candidate, I’ll be fully migrating to linux, and recommending everyone I bash up a PC for to linux also.
Microsoft … get your house in order … while you still have customers!

I’ve had the opposite experience here.
I had problems with the beta with stability and device manager just wouldn’t work properly.
The RC is much better on my two PC’s, although i always load the correct SATA and RAID card drivers during install.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2276920]I’ve had the opposite experience here.
I had problems with the beta with stability and device manager just wouldn’t work properly.
The RC is much better on my two PC’s, although i always load the correct SATA and RAID card drivers during install.[/QUOTE]
You’re lucky :wink:
I went from the beta to the RC and the slow down is enormous, which is even reflected with the windows experience score by going down a full point (more actually).
The beta was like XP with a vista front end now it’s just like vista which again is reflected in my audio card drivers which have different options for xp and vista, the beta had the xp options and now they have all gone and only the vista options for the card are there.

Performance seems fine here. :confused:

With a 4870 card and its holding you back?

Wonder what Video Card you will need to max out that score?

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2277115]With a 4870 card and its holding you back?

Wonder what Video Card you will need to max out that score?[/QUOTE]Probably two cards in an X-Fire configuration?

Does Windows 7 RC include[B] Windows Mail [/B]?

Hi,[QUOTE=diane7;2277482]Does Windows 7 RC include[B] Windows Mail [/B]?[/QUOTE]No. Windows Mail has been abandoned. Win7 comes without mail client software, so you can install whatever you want.
MS likes to see you downloading and installing Windows Live Mail, but this is only one of many options you have :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2277500]Hi,No. Windows Mail has been abandoned. Win7 comes without mail client software, so you can install whatever you want.
MS likes to see you downloading and installing Windows Live Mail, but this is only one of many options you have :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

[B]Thanks[/B] I did read somthing like that but wasent 100% sure.
I have [B]windows live mail[/B] dont use it that often, also gmail.

My main e.mail is with win mail, as when I`m capped internationaly can send and read E.mail with local usage.

when im capped cant open[B] Live[/B] or [B]google.[/B] Ill search some [B]South African sites[/B] to find out what others are going to use.

Di :flower:

[QUOTE=diane7;2277518][B][/B]I have [B]windows live mail[/B] dont use it that often, also gmail.[/QUOTE] The various Microsoft mail names are confusing so let’s see if I can get it right:

Windows Live Hotmail = The online browser-based email system

Windows Live Mail = A free email client program you can download and install

Windows Mail = The email program that comes with Windows Vista

IIRC the ancient email program in much earlier Windows versions (before Outlook Express) was also called Windows Mail. I could be wrong.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2277521]IIRC the ancient email program in much earlier Windows versions (before Outlook Express) was also called Windows Mail. I could be wrong.[/QUOTE] Nope, it was called Microsoft Mail.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2277521]The various Microsoft mail names are confusing so let’s see if I can get it right:

Windows Live Hotmail = The online browser-based email system

Windows Mail = The email program that comes with Windows Vista

IIRC the ancient email program in much earlier Windows versions (before Outlook Express) was also called Windows Mail. I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2277536]Nope, it was called Microsoft Mail.[/QUOTE]

Talking to yourself again Drage?:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2277537]Talking to yourself again Drage?:bigsmile:[/QUOTE] Yes, that’s the best way to get the kind of responses I want … except when I have to contradict myself! :bigsmile:

Well this thread has confused the heck out of me. All the people I look to for opinions are all over the place. I didn’t install the last release as I figured they were so close that I would just wait till it was released and buy it. I have Vista Home Premium and I still have not installed it (new in the box).

Just have to wait and see I guess.

I have been using (testing) Windows 7 beta release for quite a while now and I am not impressed at all. Although have been using "Deal System (XP & Vista) so far XP still is my day to day using OS.

My score was 7.2 in the win7 beta now in the RC its 5.8 exactly the same as vista :wink:

[QUOTE=slayerking;2276951]You’re lucky :wink:
I went from the beta to the RC and the slow down is enormous, which is even reflected with the windows experience score by going down a full point (more actually).
The beta was like XP with a vista front end now it’s just like vista which again is reflected in my audio card drivers which have different options for xp and vista, the beta had the xp options and now they have all gone and only the vista options for the card are there.[/QUOTE]

Upgrading OSs isn’t the best of an idea even under normal circumstances but it’s an even bigger risk upgrading from a beta OS.

Do a clean install from scratch and you’ll probably find your performance problems disappear.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2277521

.[/QUOTE]

[B]Thanks DrageMester :)[/B]
found I have that program on my PC Even have a profile with pictures in :doh:

Probley will try it out some time (W7 RC )
[I]liked the [B]W7 beta[/B] like an updated vista ;)[/I]
[I][/I]
di :flower:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2279372]Upgrading OSs isn’t the best of an idea even under normal circumstances but it’s an even bigger risk upgrading from a beta OS.

Do a clean install from scratch and you’ll probably find your performance problems disappear.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
I have never upgraded an os ever I’m not an idiot :wink:

I just discovered that the Win7 RC had a load of extra code for handling SSD, including TRIM support. I wonder if this is causing problems with traditional spinning HDD?

This code wasn’t expected until after Win7 was launched. So it’s early. :eek: