Windows 7 / Recovery Console / Safe Mode will not boot

vbimport

Hi,

I have trying to finx windows after 24 hours of trying to fix it i thought maybe someone else could help.

last night I removed my 1394 card and placed in a second nic which i needed for development.

I had hibernated windows 7 to do this and when i tried to reload it windows would no load. it would get past the loading screen, would get to a black screen after that where the wallpaper should load while it prepares to login, and then freeze. No cursor appears, HDD activity stops and keyboard lights get stuck in the state they are in, ie full lock up.

I removed by hibernate state and attempted to load straight into windows which failed. As did safe mode, recovery console, running with boot logging, booting from my xp partition on another HDD and booting from a windows 7 cd to get to the recovery console. All these failed at the same place.

The only thing I was able to get to work is to boot ubuntu from my third hard disk. When in linux I could see all 3 of my hard disks and interract with all of my hard disks and partitions perfectly.

I deetrmined shortly after this that XP and the windows 7 CD revovery console actually work fine and and boot fine, though only if my windows 7 hard disk is disconnected, even if it is not the first hard disk no other windows hard disk or cd can boot if my windows 7 HDD is plugged in.

I tried booting XP, then hot plugging in my windows 7 disk. This worked fine and windows XP could see my windows 7 HDD in the device manager, though as soon as I tried to mount the hard disk, by refreshing the windows partition manager it would lock up. So would any other program which tried to access this partially mounted hard disk, such as explorer or acrois disk director suite.

Basically my problem as I can determine it is that when any windows operating system or recovery tool attempts to mount my windows 7 disk the lock up. This means that I have no ability to run a recovery console to try and fixmbr or anythign else like this.

I initially thought that I must have stuffed some hardware when I swapped out the hardware, though linux can interract with all disks fine and functions perfectly, and windows XP or recovery console works fine when the windows 7 disk is not plugged in.

I have flagged the windows 7 disk as not-bootable though this does not help.

I think now that either the hardware on the windows 7 disk is damaged, or its MBR is just crashing all windows tools/OS on boot.

Can anyone advise me how I might try and repair the MBR, without being able to get into the recovery console, or what else I might try and do to fix the problem? I would really prefer to repair my windows 7 disk as opposed to reinstall, though I am currently in the process of backing up the disk in ubuntu incase I can’t.

I include here my partition layout, so it is a little clearer for people:

/dev/sda1 is Linux
/dev/sda5 is non-bootable storage
/dev/sdb1 is windows xp x86
/dev/sdc1 is windows 7 x64
/dev/sdc5 is non-bootable storage

the normal sata disk order is sdc -> sda -> sdb

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd89dcf17

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1        6029    48427911   83  Linux
/dev/sda2   *        6030      121601   928332090    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            6528      121601   924331873+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6            6030        6527     4000122   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x41ab2316

/dev/sdb1   *           1       30393   244131741    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0xbf088f46

/dev/sdc1               1        6527    52428096    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdc2            6528       91201   680143905    5  Extended
/dev/sdc5            6528       91201   680143871+   7  HPFS/NTFS

[QUOTE=Daniel-S;2508707]
last night I removed my 1394 card and placed in a second nic which i needed for development.

I had hibernated windows 7 to do this and when i tried to reload it windows would no load.[/QUOTE]

This is a problem here there is no way your can take a card out with the computer hibernating and not expect the PS to overload and shutdown and causing problem with your system. Taking a card out with the computer with power on is asking for problem and most likely damaging the motherboard and PS. That is might be one reason why your HDD is working correctly anymore. And you might have to reformat your HDD to fix the problem. But as I mentioned before you most likely caused some kinda damage to the hardware with your pulling the card out with computer on…

running sudo dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=/media/Storage/7x64.bak.mbr to try and extract the mbr contents from the windows 7 disk left:

Taking a card out with the computer with power on is asking for problem and most likely damaging the motherboard and PS

For clarification, I did not take the card out when the machine was running. I hibernated the machine, when hibernation finished and the power died i connected an anti-static strip, then swapped the cards.

This is as opposed to shutting it down like I probably should have instead of hibernating it.

However I did not swap anything when it was running.

[QUOTE=Daniel-S;2508717]However I did not swap anything when it was running.[/QUOTE] To my knowledge hibernating also saves the current memory state and processing state. I think you killed a lot of processes and memory data as well. You actually didn’t hot-unplug the card, but perhaps according to the hibernating state, you did. This might have caused major problems with the disks integrity.

I am not sure about this though.

My best best is to use the single windows 7 disk only in your system and start it with the windows 7 boot disc. Try to repair the os. Your boot sectors and/or boot manager might get killed though, pay close attention to that or make a backup of your boot sector and manager first!

This might have caused major problems with the disks integrity.

You could well be right. And removing the hibernate state and attempting to plan boot as opposed to restore from hibernate did not fix the problem unfortunately.

My best best is to use the single windows 7 disk only in your system and start it with the windows 7 boot disc. Try to repair the os.

I have tried. Unfortunately, while the windows 7 disk is plugged into any sata port not necessarily the first though any port, and whether bootable or not NO microsoft software will load.

Windows recoverly loads up to the point where the logo dissapears and the screen goes black then crashes just like the OS on the disk does.

Subsequently I am unable to boot recovery console at all even from the CD unless I unplug the windows 7 disk. And if I do that then the disk I need to repair is not plugged in :confused:

I have absolutely no idea why, though for some reason it is working completely fine. Thanks for the help guys, I have no idea what was wrong though it has come right again. Cheers.

Glad it works now, but you better make a nice backup now :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Daniel-S;2508717]For clarification, I did not take the card out when the machine was running. I hibernated the machine, when hibernation finished and the power died i connected an anti-static strip, then swapped the cards.

This is as opposed to shutting it down like I probably should have instead of hibernating it.

However I did not swap anything when it was running.[/QUOTE]

As you well know they do tell you when you remove or replace components in a computer your are to power down the computer not hibernate it so as to not cause power surges or static from killing components.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2508810]As you well know they do tell you when you remove or replace components in a computer your are to power down the computer not hibernate it so as to not cause power surges or static from killing components.[/QUOTE] Hibernation causes no power surges, hibernation means making a backup of the current state of the system (memory is written to a file) and power is completely off.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2508817]Hibernation causes no power surges, hibernation means making a backup of the current state of the system (memory is written to a file) and power is completely off.[/QUOTE]

I don’t consult with hibernation when doing hardware fixes.

hello,

i cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, what can i do ?

problem happened after windows 7 update, then after restart windows defender asked me to restart again, and then blue screen or auto restart forever.

i would like to disable or uninstall windows defender as i can access the command prompt but i can’t find how to do ?

And do you know how to uninstall windows latest update with command prompt ?

Thanks for help.