Windows 7 passes Vista becoming the No 2 most used OS

vbimport

I just posted the article Windows 7 passes Vista becoming the No 2 most used OS.

Microsoft fixed its Windows Vista OS disaster by releasing the next-generation Windows 7 platform, which is the fastest selling OS ever and is now the No. 2 most used OS.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-passes-vista-becoming-the-no-2-most-used-os-29341/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-passes-vista-becoming-the-no-2-most-used-os-29341/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Microsoft has ended support for XP,…

Microsoft has ended [B]Mainstream[/B] support for XP, but it has Extended support through April 8, 2014. Extended support includes free security updates, which is probably the most important component of Windows updates. XP may linger on for quite a while yet.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2515484]Microsoft has ended [B]Mainstream[/B] support for XP, but it has Extended support through April 8, 2014. Extended support includes free security updates, which is probably the most important component of Windows updates. XP may linger on for quite a while yet.[/QUOTE]

That more true then we give it credit for just like 95, 98 are probably still floating around. I think the cost of of 7 is the limiting factor preventing users from going to 7. If the price was less the turn over would most likely be higher but more then 2 to 1 probably close to 4 to 1 being optimistic that is. I been using 7x64 ult since Oct’ 09 and updated 7 and it has worked well both hardware and software side. I even go it to install on a laptop that was from Dell site only able to use XP pro to go Win7x86 ult with only three hardware updates aka video driver, wifi card driver, sound driver and 2G Ram work as though it was made for 7. So this tells me that the laptop company is misleading consumer that some older laptop can be installed with 7 “fyi” the latop was made in 2006. And does company site does state it isn’t made for the 7 O/S but I got it to install and work successfully and works way better then the XP that was install on there.

Been running it since my friend gave me the RC of it and very happy with it. Even when it does BSOD so far it just restarts fine or repairs itself if it really got screwed up.
Has been very stable for me as long as everything I run is compatible and in good shape. Most things that aren’t even made to run in 7 work fine and most vista drivers work as well if someones having issues. I ran XP till I saw 7 and my friend said his RC was fast, didn’t take as many resources, and stable. I skipped vista all together as it seemed to be a bit better then ME was, but not by much.
Running ultimate 32 bit so all my older hardware and things will continue to work though pretty sure at this point 64 probably would be fine with my goodies as well.

My system is x64 CPU and 7x64 ult O/S as well and I can install x86 and x64 software without no problem. The only thing was the hardware had to be all x64 drivers which was on the manufacture site so that wasn’t a problem. I think history will come down on Win7 as one of the better if not the best O/S M$ has come to make to surpass XP O/S.

My Win7 experience since 11/09 has been good, with two exceptions:

1. the odd in-explicable FREEZE requiring a reboot on very rare occasions… I suspect the video card and/or the slight overclock running the i5-750 up at 3360mhz. the other possibility is that it’s something gaming related which means that it’s the software (game) and not the o/s or directly the h/w.

2. a win7 wrinkle not discussed all that much is that the system restore has a bug that deletes all previous restore points prior to the updating process which just occurred… you you’ll only go back to the same day’s “events” but not previous ones as the o/s deletes them. not so good if something creeps upon you and there is a need for a MUCH earlier restore point. it’s okay if they limtied this to say 30 days but only the last 3-5 restore points aren’t enough IMO.

The thing that bothers me about all of this is that every few years we are being sold the “new OS” and that it is so much better than the old OS (Vista not included.) Then when “everybody” has the new OS, they realize their old OS programs don’t work anymore with the new OS and have to go out and buy new programs that will work with the new OS. Why can’t we just keep the old OS for a while longer than just a few years until it becomes “obsolete.” Why can’t Microsoft just keep improving the old OS without changing it altogether? We’re not stupid here, are we? It’s all for the $$$$$$. Do I hear Linux calling???

Cause the computer architecture changes and hardware improves that’s the main reason to updating the O/S to make use of the changes. ahem besides making money for M$ that another part they won’t acknowledge as well as so they won’t have to address bugs of previous O/S to move users over to the new O/S. Also 7x64 runs x86 programs fine it’s the 16-bit that has problems running. I think some have said to use compatibility mode to use those 16-bit software. I hadn’t had any problems loading x86 programs on my 7x64 O/S. But this version of O/S most likely is the better successor to XP then Vista was claimed to be.