Windows 7 no longer receives updates on systems running Intel Kaby Lake or AMD Ryzen CPU

A support page on Microsoft’s website confirms that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 won’t receive support for new CPUs. However the page also confirms that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users won’t receive updates anymore when they upgrade their CPU to an Intel’s Kaby Lake generation processor or an AMD Bristol Ridge or AMD Ryzen processor.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-no-longer-receives-updates-systems-running-intel-kaby-lake-amd-ryzen-cpu-81623/

Which is complete and utter bullshit. Windows 7 and 8.1 are not yet at end of life, and if they still work, there is absolutely no valid reason to not provide updates. This is yet another case of Microsoft trying to force-feed Windows 10 down everyone’s throats. Of course, I expect some resourceful person will find a way to get around this stupidity, so let the games begin, and may the odds be ever in your favor. :smile:

Such a move will have to be viewed as anti consumer friendly. Obviously a move to save some money, but they got the worlds biggest OS an so the table binds… Windows 7 and 8 are not out of support and since Microsoft have set the dates themselves, it seems reasonable they should stand by their words and provide support for new hardware p until that deadline.
Setting an EOL for an OS should be real and not supporting new hardware makes it false

I give them credit for trying very hard to make people move from win7 and 8 to win10, but they way they do things is stupid, now back on topic, MS should be providing support for win7 until 2020, this is what i read here,
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
i also see this as an anti-consumer move, and shows what happens when you have a monopoly.
I know that there are other options like linux (mac os, free bsd) but how many gamers, or users in general would move away from windows and learn how to use a new OS from scratch, even if something are almost identical, talking about simple tasks like word processors/steam and not how to setup/customize the OS.

Of course that’s their solution… “give us money for a new ‘upgrade’ that you might not even want, and we’ll let you have the updates that you though you were going to get anyway.”

GNU/Linux 4 ever!