Windows 7 early adopters happy with the OS

vbimport

I just posted the article Windows 7 early adopters happy with the OS.

Two recent Forrester Research reports indicate early adopters of the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system are “very satisfied” with Microsoft’s latest offering, though most consumers are still happy with Windows XP.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-early-adopters-happy-with-the-os-27757/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-early-adopters-happy-with-the-os-27757/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

12% for “Other”? Hahahaha. Where was this poll taken? Microsoft’s headquarters?

First off, you need to replace “Other” with “Torrent”. If this was an actual poll taken in a major city, say New York, the results would be more like the following:

Pre-installed on a new PC/notebook/netbook = 32%
Legally purchased a Windows 7 Upgrade disc = 28%
Got it from “a friend” who lives in a van down by the river = 40%

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?

A lot of people used the RC of Windows 7 - but I doubt if many of them purchased a legal upgrade disc afterwards. I agree Windows 7 is better than Vista, but is it worth the extra money if you already own Vista / XP?

I guess most people will just wait switching until their in the market for a new PC / laptop.

Got stuck with Windoze 7 on a new laptop.
Ubuntu got rid of that virus nicely.

The sad part is I’ve upgraded to windows 7, but I disable most of the extra security features they’ve placed in Vista and 7 that make it different than XP.

UAC drives me nuts, I used my own firewalls and virus software, and i’m behind a pretty secure router…

I basically needed a 64 bit OS to use all the 4 gigs of ram I had installed (due to the size of my vid card, 32 bit XP only let me use just over 3gigs of the 4 gigs I had installed).

I still think XP was pretty solid, and its hard changing to a new OS when you haven’t done it in 10 years… I’m not getting used to vista and how its settings work.

If Microsoft turns around and release another new OS in a short period of time, there will probably be backlash.

I’ve got a laptop running Windows 7 and I’ve been happy with it. I use it for when I travel & for conferences mainly, and it does a good job at letting me do whatever I need to do. Haven’t delved into it that deep on configuration/customization though.

Overall, my impression is that Windows 7 is a great OS.

I got it when it came out in Oct last year after replacing my XP with 7 ult x64 and haven’t looked back since. And also found alot of drivers in 7x64 so that is a big plus for 7 IMO. Also one update I would recommend people not even install is KB971033 it is a WGA activation checker and if you already bought and activated your legal version why should one even install it and if you already installed it uninstall it. This still tells you how much M$ even trust the legal buyers even thought they take our money. But I so far since Win7x64 comes out I installed 22 updates for the O/S and IE8. I can say for certain so far my experience with using and keeping the updates updated as well as other programs I installed updated helps to improve the computing experience.

[QUOTE=BussyB;2506060]A lot of people used the RC of Windows 7 - but I doubt if many of them purchased a legal upgrade disc afterwards. I agree Windows 7 is better than Vista, but is it worth the extra money if you already own Vista / XP?

I guess most people will just wait switching until their in the market for a new PC / laptop.[/QUOTE]

I still use the RC. Just rolled the clock back a couple of months. It’s a second PC where time and date aren’t important. I do have a 3 PC license upgrade for it which I’ll get around to one day…

Win7 will have more consumers onboard due to it’s expansive compatability (still in development with windows updates). Vista had nothing but headaches for alot of people! Also, the hardware made today runs better on Win 7X64… The main issue is software… 64 bit applications are the future of the PC biz, however we are in a slow moving transition to 64 bit authoring. The difference between 32 bit apps and 64 bit apps is a little like comparing dvd & blue ray… both have a nice picture, but unless you have an expensive (did I also mention BIG) HDTV & Home Theater you may not notice much difference. That was not the case between 8/16 bit apps when moving to 32 bit… the improvements were quite noticeable and hardware requirements were made possible by the go-go days of hardware getting cheaper by the day, instead of by the year (what we’ve got today). There was also much easier consumer acceptance. With the economy not doing well too, that throws a couple of roadblocks in front of mass adoption of fully compatible systems.

The future of innovation on 64 bit is exciting because the tech industry now has a peek at what the future holds: SUPER (MULTI) TASKING! Applications that used to bring a single core processor to a crawl are lapped up by multi-core processors. Consumers will see the benefits of the innovations in the next 5 years.

Being able to open (about) 10 explorer windows, a productivity app, disc burning software, a media player app, instant messenger app, and a few other goodies, while gaming in another window (on another monitor) are just the tip of the iceberg that are 4+core processor systems!

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2507069]
Being able to open (about) 10 explorer windows, a productivity app, disc burning software, a media player app, instant messenger app, and a few other goodies, while gaming in another window (on another monitor) are just the tip of the iceberg that are 4+core processor systems![/QUOTE]

Not to mention how much money those spending that much will fork out and not get much in return yet??? Since software and games haven’t caught up to Multicore potentials.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2507095]Not to mention how much money those spending that much will fork out and not get much in return yet??? Since software and games haven’t caught up to Multicore potentials.[/QUOTE]

If you bought a PC in the last 2-4 years then it may not be worth upgrading and/or buying a new one just yet… but if we’re talking 5+ years you’re overdue. The industry’s gone through significant changes in tech since then. multiple sockets & video card standards alone make it worthy of a system upgrade. Vista did not do justice to what 64 bit’s potenal is… WIndows 7 made a decent enough course correction… and the software is beginning to take adavantage of multiple processors. Windows 7 kernel & enhancements tweak utilization of multiple cpu cores even across 32-bit single ‘threaded’ applications. I’ve seen it at work… rarely does my cpu ever reach above high 80s utilization on a consistent basis
(i5 750 cpu).

I’m happy with 7, reminds me of XP when I first got it and everything just seemed to work. I run the 32 bit version as I have a lot of older stuff I like to use and it seems fine with 4 gig so far whether it actually uses it all or not.
I also turned off almost all of the stupid UAC stuff and run my own security suite that seems to be just fine for me so far.
I do miss being able to go to the old school layout that disables most of the wiz bang graphics that slow down many older machines but having a pretty good video card and a quad core it seems to chug along just fine.
I also didn’t install the WGA thing once I realized what it was about and highly recommend you set your updates to ask you before installing so they don’t sneak in something you might not want installed.
I bypassed Vista entirely and stuck with XP till this OS was available.

I love winxp but I have to admit win7 is a lot better, even with old pc games.

It all depends on what you expect and what you will use the OS for…

I personally have switched all my systems to win7, and I am usually very weary of such leaps, I have been on XP for the longest, but I do like the XP mode capability

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2507107]If you bought a PC in the last 2-4 years then it may not be worth upgrading and/or buying a new one just yet… but if we’re talking 5+ years you’re overdue.[/QUOTE]

I like to remind ya not everyone can afford a computer even if it not expensive as when they first came out. And those older computer can still use Linux to operate so there still life there. These days now not everyone one can go out and spend on computer when there more important thing to buy aka food first or pay debts. So those users have to priorities what comes first, second,…so on.

[QUOTE=xtacydima;2508731]I personally have switched all my systems to win7, and I am usually very weary of such leaps, I have been on XP for the longest, but I do like the XP mode capability[/QUOTE]

My system is all Win7x64 ult and my XP program works find with 7 and have no problem just that older 32 bit that won’t run on 7 is very few aka Nero 6. But everything else would install and work find and I have x64 apps and x86 apps on the same system and they run and work fine. One thing I like is I can install x64 apps and x86 apps and they both work and run fine.