Windows 7 downgrade to XP supported through 2020

vbimport

Windows 7 downgrade to XP supported through 2020.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/07/ls8XZo.jpg[/newsimage]Personal and business customers who purchase Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, will have the right to downgrade to Windows XP until the end of the Windows 7 life cycle in 2020, Microsoft announced Monday.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-downgrade-to-xp-supported-through-2020-31887/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-downgrade-to-xp-supported-through-2020-31887/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why doesn’t Microsoft admit that XP is as customer friendly as it gets? Yes, they should keep trying to improve on it, but they might wish to use the name of XP-2010 version, or XP - 1.0 etc.? - something the consuming public might trust? Then, Microsoft could stop trying to reinvent the wheel every time they come out with a newer version of their software?

My first question to this is does that mean that they are going to extend support for XP until 2020 now instead of it stopping in 2014? Makes you wonder doesn’t it.

When can I get xp.I ve had win 7 for 6 weeks now and havinf combatable issues with my softWare that I want to install,plus I cant get on line because tiscalie does not want to know win7 help.

quite right every time they come out with a new version iv’e I get combatable issues sucks.

haha…so glad I jumped shipped with Vista…VERY HAPPY UBUNTU user now :wink:

[QUOTE=penrib13;2531935]When can I get xp.I ve had win 7 for 6 weeks now and havinf combatable issues with my softWare that I want to install,plus I cant get on line because tiscalie does not want to know win7 help.[/QUOTE]

You would have to get that from the manufacturer of the pre-built computer you purchased, and then only if you purchased Win 7 Ultimate or Professional. It doesn’t apply to Home Premium or Starter. .

I think it’s great that they’re supporting the free downgrade to XP until 2020. The more consumer choice the better, right? Although I am also curious if they’ll support XP with security updates til 2020…

[QUOTE=penrib13;2531935]When can I get xp.I ve had win 7 for 6 weeks now and havinf combatable issues with my softWare that I want to install,plus I cant get on line because tiscalie does not want to know win7 help.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with very few compatibility problems*. I’ve installed software that came out years ago and it runs fine. For stuff that does not run under Windows 7, there’s compatibility mode. Hell, they even let you download a copy of XP to run for free. They could make you pay for a license to do that. Anyway I am very happy to switch from XP to 7 (I skipped Vista).

• The only software that I couldn’t get to work was Roxio EMC 8.

[QUOTE=redk9258;2531985]I’ve been running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with very few compatibility problems*. I’ve installed software that came out years ago and it runs fine. For stuff that does not run under Windows 7, there’s compatibility mode. Hell, they even let you download a copy of XP to run for free. They could make you pay for a license to do that. Anyway I am very happy to switch from XP to 7 (I skipped Vista).

• The only software that I couldn’t get to work was Roxio EMC 8.[/QUOTE]

You are missing some very important things though. Not everyone uses the same applications as you do. There are LOTS of applications that will not run under Windows 7 (even in compatibility mode), nor will they run in XP Mode in Win 7. And not everyone uses the same hardware as you do. So your saying that because Win 7 works for you means that it will work for everyone means absolutely nothing. I have customers that are stuck using XP SP1 due to software conflicts with later versions, and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it until the software vendor gets around to updating it. They can’t switch to another software application as there aren’t any available. That’s one of the reasons why MS is extending XP downgrade rights so those business can stay in business. So don’t go saying something that you can’t back up, and saying Win 7 will work for everyone is just that, something you can not backup.

[QUOTE=wconeybeer;2531506]Windows 7 downgrade to XP supported through 2020.[/QUOTE]

Believers get St.

[QUOTE=papasmurf69;2531907]My first question to this is does that mean that they are going to extend support for XP until 2020 now instead of it stopping in 2014? Makes you wonder doesn’t it.[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine the number of inane corporate meetings that must’ve gone into making this decision? Some exec probably decided they didn’t want to deal with it again for almost a decade :wink:

This sounds like Microsoft admitting that their “XP Compatibility Mode” for 7 Pro and Ultimate doesn’t really work.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2532151]This sounds like Microsoft admitting that their “XP Compatibility Mode” for 7 Pro and Ultimate doesn’t really work.[/QUOTE] Why do you conclude that? Have you even tried using the Windows XP Mode? (Works great for me)

Running Windows XP natively and running Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate with Windows XP Mode are both perfectly reasonable options depending on your needs.

The downgrade option seems to be only for volume versions of Windows, since a user with a retail or OEM version of Windows would have to jump though a lot of hoops to do it, including convincing a Microsoft representative over the phone, that you are NOT a pirate even though you are trying to activate Windows XP with a serial number already used on another computer. The process seems designed to discourage private and small-business users from exersising their downgrade rights. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have tried XP mode. While it works okay for SOME applications if you have a fast system and have Hardware VT, there are a LOT of business, scientific, and medical apps that simply will NOT run under it period. These apps will probably never be upgraded to run under a new OS or to run in XP mode forcing users that need the apps (and there are no alternatives) to continue to run NATIVE XP.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2532151]This sounds like Microsoft admitting that their “XP Compatibility Mode” for 7 Pro and Ultimate doesn’t really work.[/QUOTE]

It can’t naturally without violating X86 Protected Mode. And that would bring in many other risks.
Stupid virtual machines.

Sorta makes you wonder why Windows 7 didn’t come out as the next Windows XP service pack . . .

Because Windows 7 is Vista SP3.

True.

[QUOTE=papasmurf69;2532755]Because Windows 7 is Vista SP3.[/QUOTE]

If Gates and his Microsoft heared such feedback about Windows 7 from their customers, they would be crazy. :sad:

However, that means Microsoft is still not confident about its Windows 7, just like Vista. Before Windows 7 become strong enough, making XP live for a longer time is a better thing.