Windows 7 does not recognize IDE drives

vbimport

[B]Hello:

Recently my computer has a strange problem.
All IDE drives (cdrom and hard disks) stopped detecting inside windows.
But they do detect and work well outside windows. (for example on startup disks).
Right now, I have a DVDrom that outside windows works fine but inside windows
does not work.
When I go to Windows DIsk Management it always promts me with
“INITIALIZE DISK: You must initialize disk before logical drive can access it”
I click on for a Master Boot Record. just like everytime we put a new drive and
it needs identifying and the first format. But when I click on it gives me this message:

Virtual Disk Manager: The request could not be performed because of an I/O devide error.
So in DISK MANAGEMENT I can see my DVDrom there as an “Unknown disk” and I cant inicialize it.
On windows explorer its like it doesnt exist, as the drive letter is not there.

THis happened from one day to another. ANd since Ive tried this DVDrom outside windows
and it works fine. Im sure this is a problem inside my Windows 7, meaning its not a hardware problem.

All other drives (SATA connection) work. I know this because I had another IDE drive on my computer
and thought it was faulthy cause of this exact same problem, and bought a new drive, but a SATA
which worked perfectly. So its only my IDE connections that dont work inside windows.

Could someone help me with this problem please.
thank you in a advance for your time and attention.

David [/B]

Welcome to the forums David.

Have you tried going back to a restore point prior to the start of the problems?

Thanks for the reply Kerry56
You got a good point there. I normally do restores, but this time, if I restore it, it will go back to a point before I had just reinstalled
all my software for music production that takes ages to reinstall.
So I wanted to find another way out other then restore.
Do you have any ideas?

David

Just on a wierd hunch…

Look at the drives in Bios typically pressing F2 or other key during startup (before the OS launches)

I’d also replace the CMOS battery before trying anything else.
Because if your MoBo is like mine default is for SATA0 to be the boot drive

If the CMOS battery is dead the MoBo will refert to default settings on every startup.

If your IDE drives are running off a controller card and yo have a dead CMOS battery the
computer can “lose” the controller.

AD

[QUOTE=simulador;2583494]Thanks for the reply Kerry56
You got a good point there. I normally do restores, but this time, if I restore it, it will go back to a point before I had just reinstalled
all my software for music production that takes ages to reinstall.
So I wanted to find another way out other then restore.
Do you have any ideas?

David[/QUOTE]

Sorry I was interrupted while posting…

But you cannot have restore points previous to your current installation of windows

AD

Going to a restore point is a process that can be reversed. You could try it and see if it solves the problems.

The only other thing I can think of is a restore installation, but this could lose data that you want. And you may not have a hard copy of Win 7, just the restore partition if this is an OEM made computer.

Kerry56, i didnt restore yet so i dont have reverse points yet.
and I cant restore, i really need to find another way.

AllanDeGroot, I will try changing the battery, and get back here as soon as I finish testing to share the result.

thank u guys

[QUOTE=simulador;2583475][B]Hello:

Recently my computer has a strange problem.
All IDE drives (cdrom and hard disks) stopped detecting inside windows.
But they do detect and work well outside windows. (for example on startup disks).
Right now, I have a DVDrom that outside windows works fine but inside windows
does not work.
When I go to Windows DIsk Management it always promts me with
"INITIALIZE DISK: You must initialize disk before logical drive can access it"
I click on for a Master Boot Record. just like everytime we put a new drive and
it needs identifying and the first format. But when I click on it gives me this message:

Virtual Disk Manager: The request could not be performed because of an I/O devide error.
So in DISK MANAGEMENT I can see my DVDrom there as an “Unknown disk” and I cant inicialize it.
On windows explorer its like it doesnt exist, as the drive letter is not there.

THis happened from one day to another. ANd since Ive tried this DVDrom outside windows
and it works fine. Im sure this is a problem inside my Windows 7, meaning its not a hardware problem.

All other drives (SATA connection) work. I know this because I had another IDE drive on my computer
and thought it was faulthy cause of this exact same problem, and bought a new drive, but a SATA
which worked perfectly. So its only my IDE connections that dont work inside windows.

Could someone help me with this problem please.
thank you in a advance for your time and attention.

David [/B][/QUOTE]
A known bug is the drives do not get assigned properly.
You have to rename the drives.

I’m sure there are other ways but I cured a similar problem on a friends PC using Partition Master. Seems there were no drive letter assigned.
I assume something was FOOBAR with the registry.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

You don’t need aftermarket software to change drive letters and or name drives.

You can rename drives by right clicking on them in Windows Explorer, yeah it really IS “just that easy”

As for drive letters for that you need to go to control panel> Administrative tools>Disc management

Right click on the volume you wish to change the letter of

You must first make sure the letter you WANT is not in use (if it is re-letter the other drive first)
And of course you can also “name” the drives at the same time as well as see their “Status”

It should be noted that if more than one drive has at any time been the system drive for that
computer with Windos7 it will show in disc management as “offline!” and if you cursor
over that notation it will tell you the drive is offline due to a “signature collision with another drive on the system”

IF you get to that point I’ll tell you how to fix it, but right now I’ve got a pounding headache

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2583512]You don’t need aftermarket software to change drive letters and or name drives.

You can rename drives by right clicking on them in Windows Explorer, yeah it really IS “just that easy”

As for drive letters for that you need to go to control panel> Administrative tools>Disc management

Right click on the volume you wish to change the letter of

You must first make sure the letter you WANT is not in use (if it is re-letter the other drive first)
And of course you can also “name” the drives at the same time as well as see their “Status”

It should be noted that if more than one drive has at any time been the system drive for that
computer with Windos7 it will show in disc management as “offline!” and if you cursor
over that notation it will tell you the drive is offline due to a “signature collision with another drive on the system”

IF you get to that point I’ll tell you how to fix it, but right now I’ve got a pounding headache

AD[/QUOTE]
I realize that.
How I found the problem was with using PM.
So, while the proggy running I killed two birds with one stone.
Jeff

One more thing… At the time M$ did not acknowledge the problem.
I just had a sneaking suspension what was going on.
So instead of going thru the MS windows 7 diagnostics I ran PM.
Much more effective + it has many tools that work for me.
Jeff

Jeff
I will give a try to Partition Master. thanks
What is the PM?

AD
in control panel> Administrative tools>Disc management, the disk doesnt work. I try to initialize it
and it always gives me this message:
I cant change letter, I cant do anything to this DVDrom in disk management. Its like its damaged.
But I know its not cause I can use it outside windows. And i dont think its a signuture colision with other hard drive.
Its just the IDE drives on my windows dont detect, only outside windows.

Does your computers BIOS have something like an IDE legacy setting that may have changed ?
Does Windows even “see” the IDE drive in control panel> Administrative tools>Disc management ?

hThe BIOS is set to default, and been like that
since it was all working. And since the DVDrom works outside windows. is another sign that it is ok, its just a problem inside windows. WHen I go to control panel> Administrative tools>Disc management it shows there but as an “UNKNOWN” Disk
and I right click on it and choose Initialize and always get this message: [B]The request could not be performed because of an I/O devide error. [/B]

[QUOTE=simulador;2583553]Jeff
I will give a try to Partition Master. thanks
What is the PM?

AD
in control panel> Administrative tools>Disc management, the disk doesnt work. I try to initialize it
and it always gives me this message:
I cant change letter, I cant do anything to this DVDrom in disk management. Its like its damaged.
But I know its not cause I can use it outside windows. And i dont think its a signuture colision with other hard drive.
Its just the IDE drives on my windows dont detect, only outside windows.[/QUOTE]

PM=Partition Master.
Jeff

Jeff:

Inside PM, the DVDrom doesnt show.
Like it doesnt exist.
And the recovery tool it has, doesnt find any extra drive to recover.
Argh! what a wierd problem this one.

[QUOTE=simulador;2583579]Jeff:

Inside PM, the DVDrom doesnt show.
Like it doesnt exist.
And the recovery tool it has, doesnt find any extra drive to recover.
Argh! what a wierd problem this one.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. PM looks for NTFS and FAT partitions not DVDROMs. Still having problems with you hard drive though.

Have you double checked the data and power connectors Does the extra hard drive spin-up?
That may be the problem but really not sure.
Jeff

THe power connectors are fine, cause the DVDrom works outside windows. So all is well. Its something inside windows.
Thank you for ure suggestions anyway.
this one is a hard one

Have you ran chk dsk on your OS drive ?

Indeed I did.
Eheh. I am actually a computer technitian.
And hundreds of repairs pass through my hands
but this one is a bastard.
Im sure if i format from scratch and reinstall everything
it would take away the problem. But I just cant do that now.
So thats why Im trying to find another way out.