Windows 7 CLEAN INSTALL from Upgrade Disc?

vbimport

Has anyone done this? Apparently it can be done…

According to some sites, you can make a clean install of Windows 7 with only a UPGRADE DISC.

Personally i’d rather spend half the money and use an upgrade disc if i can to do a CLEAN INSTALL… but is it indeed possible?

thanks in advance!

Yes it is not only possible but even preferred my Microsoft themselves.

With the upgrade you have to have the media disc of your current OS , with the Full you do not. That is the main difference.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2475944]Has anyone done this? Apparently it can be done…

According to some sites, you can make a clean install of Windows 7 with only a UPGRADE DISC.

Personally i’d rather spend half the money and use an upgrade disc if i can to do a CLEAN INSTALL… but is it indeed possible?

thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

This will depend is your system a manufacture built or custom built? I think only vista can do a upgrade while XP system can’t do the upgrade. But before you do upgrade make sure you have all the needed drivers when you do go Win7 before hand.

i have an XP system and it’s a custom built rig.
I have all of the drivers and whatnot for my current system so i think im ok.
I’d probably do a dual boot install anyway. 1 with XP and the other with 7. Unless i dont really need xp anymore… i was a little worried about the compatibility issues with Win7. plus i want to go 64bit too.

so with this current setup i have, its a good bet that i CAN do a clean install with a win7 upgrade disc?

why would i need my xp media disc anyway if its a CLEAN install?

thanks again for the help

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2475944]Has anyone done this? Apparently it can be done…

thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Performing a clean install from an upgrade disc is possible even without the need for a setup disk from a qualifying older version of Windows. With Windows 7 (“upgrade” copies), there are several ways of going about this. The one that I used involves installing a trial version (which does not require entering a product key), and then performing an upgrade installation on top of that trial version. This method is time-consuming, but reliable.

And Microsoft made it a bit easier for such an installation because it provides two additional options besides the one I used: One involves a registry tweak; the other involves simply activating Windows on the first installation after entering a valid product key (typically done with installs from non-upgrade disks). The latter may or may not work, depending on the hardware configuration although the likelihood of such an activation succeeding is very good if you are reusing the exact same hardware (primarily the motherboard and network card) that you used when you ran a qualifying previous version of Windows (e.g. Vista Home Basic or Home Premium for a Windows 7 Home Premium “upgrade”) that had been activated.

You might want to read this article on the subject: http://johnfr.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/paul-thurrotts-supersite-for-windows-clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media/

[QUOTE=RJL65;2476514]Performing a clean install from an upgrade disc is possible even without the need for a setup disk from a qualifying older version of Windows. With Windows 7 (“upgrade” copies), there are several ways of going about this. The one that I used involves installing a trial version (which does not require entering a product key), and then performing an upgrade installation on top of that trial version. This method is time-consuming, but reliable.[/QUOTE]

I shall make it clear that the trial version is installed from the exact same disk as the “upgrade” install.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2476303]i have an XP system and it’s a custom built rig.
I have all of the drivers and whatnot for my current system so i think im ok.
I’d probably do a dual boot install anyway. 1 with XP and the other with 7. Unless i dont really need xp anymore… i was a little worried about the compatibility issues with Win7. plus i want to go 64bit too.

so with this current setup i have, its a good bet that i CAN do a clean install with a win7 upgrade disc?

why would i need my xp media disc anyway if its a CLEAN install?

thanks again for the help[/QUOTE]

That’s good to know but for me going full win7x64 ult was the way to go for now. Plus if you tried it already the experience was much better then using Vista hands down. Since I used both XP and Vista O/S learning the Win7 wasn’t a headache and better learning curve. I found nothing wrong with loading 32bit software onto my x64 O/S and 64 software they exist and didn’t need to do the virtual xp mode as I read on blogs and books to make programs that ran in XP work in Win7. This is from my experince so far since going all Win7x64 since October.