Windows 7 and 8.1 users get Windows 10 on your PC, even if they don’t want it

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 7 and 8.1 users get Windows 10 on your PC, even if they don’t want it[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/07/myce-windows-10-here-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Users that don’t want Windows 10 will get it anyway, Microsoft gradually downloads the new operating on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems. The files then reside in a hidden folder waiting till the user decides to upgrade.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-and-8-1-users-get-windows-10-on-your-pc-even-if-they-dont-want-it-77279/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-and-8-1-users-get-windows-10-on-your-pc-even-if-they-dont-want-it-77279/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

To whom at Microsoft do I send my invoice for storing [I][U]their[/U][/I] data?[B] :iagree:[/B]

Actually, you could probably make an argument that this contravenes the Computer Misuse Act (1990).

[QUOTE=Ibex;2760024]To whom at Microsoft do I send my invoice for storing [I][U]their[/U][/I] data?[B] :iagree:[/B]

Actually, you could probably make an argument that this contravenes the Computer Misuse Act (1990).[/QUOTE]

I’m ready to send my invoice as well.

I hope there will be a fix for this as I don’t plan to update to Windows 10 .
I don’t need MS to “Save me time” at the expense of taking up harddrive space on my dime.
How much time would it save?
10 or 15 minutes . Maybe.
In exchange for storing it on my computer forever or until I’m forced to update.

If I “stored” 5GB on MS without their consent they would call that hacking . & Yes I know the MS EULA probably gives them permission.

[QUOTE=cholla;2760026]I’m ready to send my invoice as well.
[/QUOTE]
Why settle for just any invoice? I smell a class-action lawsuit. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see any such directory here on Win-7 Pro. But I stopped accepting all optional updates a while back.

uninstall those updates, disable the GWX service, no download. But still, yet again M$ violates consumer protection acts, they have NO right whatsoever to force a OS onto a user and even less right to download it without permission.

I spent over 6 hours “updating” to windows 10 only to find that is was extremely slow to startup. It also can’t be stopped from updating whatever it wants so it took out my NVidia 3D driver. I reverted back to 7.1 via a Ghost Image.
I even found it slowed the boot up on my tablet (solid state drive).
Needs more work.

I also checked for the [B]$Windows.~BT[/B] folder & didn’t have it .
I’ve been somewhat carefulbut did have one of the updates I shouldn’t have installed.
I uninstalled it & seem to not have any “left overs”.

@ CDan , The Windows updates these come from are [B]not[/B] the optional ones.

Are you sure that’s the case? No-one seems to know exactly which update or updates are causing the download, the obvious one would be optional update KB3035583 but some affected users are saying they have the downloaded files and not that KB.

@ roho , In one of the other threads there is a link to a list .
I don’t know which update in the list causes the problem .
There is a good possibility that list is incomplete .

The annoying thing is bandwidth uses.

Many ISP’s offer very low bandwidth options allowing free broadband in the UK. People take these up as they think I will only check emails and go on websites and the like.

And then microsoft in the background downloads 4gigs for Windows 10 that you cannot stop or don’t even know about.

I only got a 128GB SSD and I only have 28GB left on it thanks to Microrubbish updates. So, 3 months ago I stopped All updates. Nothing Drastic has happened to my PC and never will. Bliss, No Windows 10 either…

You need to find out where all the excess is.
My Windows 7 is just a little over 18GB .
I do have some things disabled that take up space .
I don’t keep System Restore on & I have shadow copies limited .
I also have my Windows Disk Cleanup in an extended form.
As well as some other cleanup software .
I also use Acronis to make backups . You want to use a backup software if you disable System Restore. I keep the backups on an external hard drive.
Still a 100GB Windows 7 is too large.