Windows 2000 on Xbox via Linux

I just posted the article Windows 2000 on Xbox via Linux.

That you can do more with your Xbox then playing games isn’t a secret but running Windows 2000 with the help of Linux is a whole new dimension. What will be next?

September 26 2002 – Today…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4566-Windows-2000-on-Xbox-via-Linux.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4566-Windows-2000-on-Xbox-via-Linux.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I fail to see the point of this. Buy a computer.!!!..:7

Let me add if they announced the X-Box could play playstation games …that WOULD be interesting…:7

Sherrif, look at it this way… How much did you pay for your computer?? If you can buy an X-box for $299.00 add keyboard & mouse$25.00 there you have it you are into a machine (computer) with excellent graphics & a 20 Gig HD for $325.00 that you can hook up to your 27" HDTV network it with the pc’s in your house watch Div-X, (full screen) run a playstation emulator. hmmm darn I don’t think the xbox has a printer port, oh! use the usb! I see the point!:wink:

Sheriff, You said that if it could play playstation games it would be great. Well think about, if you can run linux, then win 2k, via linux, theoretically you could run a psx emulator on win 2k.

"a 20 Gig HD for $325.00 " Holy crap-o-la!! I paid $140 for my WD 120 gig 8mb cache ;Þ Still havent mod’ed my XB yet, but plan to when the new ver. thats supposed to only have 12 wires–well, maybe the older ver, will be cheaper than 50 bucks eh?

I’d say you need a good sharp picture on your TV to use Windows 2000 for MS Office, etc. DivX, movies, games, etc. should be fine. I connected my PC up to the TV and I could barely read the text under the icons, even at 640x480. I tried several TVs, but with the same result. Since PAL (here) has more lines than NTSC, wouldn’t the text be readable at all in the US (NTSC)? This problem shouldn’t occur with HDTV.

I DO see the point, X Boxes are < $200 in the UK, thats DAMN cheap for a pc that can play movies through my TV, im very tempted

seanbyrne said:

I’d say you need a good sharp picture on your TV to use Windows 2000 for MS Office, etc. DivX, movies, games, etc. should be fine. I connected my PC up to the TV and I could barely read the text under the icons, even at 640x480. I tried several TVs, but with the same result. Since PAL (here) has more lines than NTSC, wouldn’t the text be readable at all in the US (NTSC)? This problem shouldn’t occur with HDTV.
TV-out image quality depends on your video card more than a TV. My GeForce256 DDR (NTSC) has not so good TV-out, but I can still read text on a TV. My dad’s ATI All-in-Wonder (also NTSC, I live in the USA), has the best TV-out I have ever seen and text is exceptionally readable. Also, good RCA cables help and the longer the RCA cable, the more interference it will pickup, more signal loss, and so image quality overall will drop accordingly on the TV.

bio_toxicens that reads <SNIP>& a 20 Gig</> Did your WD come with the rest of the system too? & can it play x-box games? The point is you get it ALL for under $325.00 (not just the hard drive)

crazywolf that’s besides the point. we’ve had a similar (and very huge) thread like this a few months back, and it lead NOWHERE. (although one must be tempted to point out that the PC offencive was played out superiorly to the low console gamer. cough ) and the specs of a silly X Box are WOEFULLY, um, what words shall I facilitate here? shitty? yes, that sounds about right. doesn’t mean it ain’t interesting. it’s always nice to see lower life forms evolve. :stuck_out_tongue:

nexusj Yeah, yeah, whatever. I think it’s interesting to know what’s going on in the Xbox-scene, and I’m finding out more & more reasons to buy one. So if you don’t like the thread cause you think it leads nowhere, please do ‘f’ off. (i just added that last one for hostility. :d )

if your gonna buy one, just buy it from a friend (Bought mine for $150 and it came with 5 games, 2 controlers, and a mem card) :wink: now just gotta throw a $50 mod chip in it and install linux :Þ

xbox is fine for ppl with low budget and who are happy with the specs personally i wouldn’t even think of buying an xbox to run apps on as a normal pc, i’ll stick to 2.7ghz cpus :slight_smile:

What planet are you guys from? The X-Box has been advertised for $199US for a couple of months now.

Use S-Video cable to a RGB connected input in your telly (usually one of the SCARTs or a S-Video input) and be amazed. If nothing helps, then set a Sony TV.

What planet are you guys from? Canada:4 With the exchange rate $299 Cdn comes out to about $188 US i’m getting a better deal than I:p thought!

Oh yeah, I forgot:- Live Long and Prosper :slight_smile: