Windows 11

Windows 11 is now available to Windows Insiders on the DEV channel. As of 28th June 2021

If you want to try it, I suggest you only use either a spare PC like I have, or a spare SSD in your main system. I would not replace your main Windows 10 install with this development release.

Before you even begin. Download, install and run the PC Health Check application from Microsoft to check if your hardware meets the requirements for Windows 11. If it doesn’t meet the Windows 11 hardware requirements, don’t even try as you wont get it.

You will require a TPM 2.0 module on your CPU/Motherboard to use it, and will have to enable Intel PTT or if you’re using an AMD RyZen CPU then enable fTPM.

To use TPM you will have to enable it your UEFI/BIOS, and also enable Secure Boot in the BIOS, remembering to add the Factory Keys if you haven’t used TPM before.
You may also have to disable CSM (Compatibility System Module) in your BIOS to get the machine to boot.
The drive your going to install Windows 11 to, must have a GPT partition, an MBR partition is not suitable.

The following screenshots are taken from my own spare PC running the official Windows 11 insiders preview.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Update 21H2
Installed on ‎28/‎06/‎2021
OS build 22000.51
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 421.16300.0.3

My first impressions of windows 11 are favourable.
It is surprising stable (so far) for a development build.

It looks very pretty, and if you don’t like the Task Bar in the Centre (default) you have the option to easily switch it to the Bottom Left like on Windows 10.

1 Like

I installed most of my apps to check for compatibility with Windows 11.
All of them work perfectly, and were stable.
So tonight I have made a full Macrium Reflect backup of my Windows 10 install on my main PC, and will install Windows 11 tomorrow to give it really good checkout.

Forcing all of that excess requirements sounds like it’s going to bury Win11 even before it’s started. because if you eliminate too much hardware from being supported, which seems to be the case, Win11 might be doomed before it starts. because there are plenty of systems from say the early-to-mid 2010’s that are more than capable but will end up being dumped. I get they want to increase security, but my guess is this will mostly be a temporary thing before the shady people mostly get around it and, if that happens, at that point all it did was not support a bunch of hardware that could have easily run it.

because if I heard correctly, on the Intel CPU side of things, you need a 8th generation for Win11 to work which I think is from late 2017 technology and if that’s roughly correct it’s going to eliminate way too much hardware from running Win11.

but if the pattern holds, which it has since basically Win98 to date, Win11 will be part of the ‘bad’ OS group… Win98(good)/WinME(bad)/WinXP(good)/WinVista(bad)/Win7(good)/Win8(bad)/Win10(good)… Win11(bad(?)).

but with all of this stuff in Win11, I am even more happy that I adopted Linux Mint in Jan 2019. but at least for Windows users, which is just about everyone, Win10 is supported til Oct 2025, so people got a good 4+ years of support left. but I won’t be surprised if that gets extended a bit if Win11 gets largely panned.

but putting the requirements stuff aside for a moment… just looking at the OP’s picture, while Win11’s interface is changed, it does not seem like they did anything too drastic like that disaster Win8 upon release and apparently one can change it back to the usual interface if they don’t care for the new Win11 one (I have not used Win11 but I suspect it’s current interface would be something I could adjust to). so it appears they learned their lesson from that Win8 disaster in that you can have some change, but nothing TOO much like Win8 which it’s interface was not made for desktop/laptop use at all and that right there alone put the nail in Win8’s coffin as Win8 was pretty much the only OS from MS I never used at some point (besides a quick test in a virtual machine at which point I immediately hated it and stuck to Win7 and then eventually went to Win10).

but with all of that said… I would not be surprised if Linux gets some level of increase in user base because of Win11, especially once Win10’s support ends and their hardware is still respectable but useless unless they go to some Linux variation.

2 Likes

I tried the leaked version of W11 and it don´t work on a i5-6500 system because the lack of TPM 2.0

I installed it in a VM and there it works.

The middle-startmenu is a very bad decision, even if it can changed. Don´t know what MS think to place the menu there.

The hardware requirements, if it stays in the final version, are to high. W10 officially support Intel CPUs since 5. Gen but I have installed W10 also on 2nd Gen and also on an old FX-8320e

From what I read the core of W11 is not so much different to W10.

If MS also plan an MS-Online-Account I think some ppl really move to alternative OS

1 Like

Which is why I think MS doomed Win11 as I think just about anything in the ‘i3/i5/i7’ generations should work well enough as while some of the earlier models are getting up there in age, they are still more towards fast than slow if you ask me as CPU loads are not all that high for general usage etc.

Yep, it´s to simple to say CPU-Generation x is needed to run W11, I have 3. Gen PCs which blows away 11. Gen Celerons.

And if it is correct that W11 is -except handling and optics- not that different to W10, the drivers for W10 from hardware manufacturer or MS would work also with W11

People are freaking out on the hardware requirements for a development release of Windows 11. It isn’t even a beta yet.
It’s Windows insider release aimed at people like myself who like to try out new things.
By making a development release very tight on hardware requirements. Makes life a lot easier for MS to to track down bugs instead of bug hunting on perhaps thousands of hardware combinations.
They are also ensuring that everyone in the DEV channel has the hardware to be able to run all the features of Windows 11.

I would imagine by the time Windows 11 reaches beta there will much more hardware supported.
TPM
The requirement for TPM is here to stay though, and IMO, should have been a requirement for Windows 10.

Direct Storage
The requirements to use Direct Storage are unlikely to change either.
A SATA SSD does not sit directly on the PCIe bus. That’s why an NVMe SSD is required.
It remains to be seen if game developers will make an Direct Storage device mandatory to run a game.

For a GPU for Direct Storage.
A DX12 and shader model 6.0 or later GPU/iGPU is a requirement because it has a data pipeline to allow it to work.

A few simple mouse clicks is all that is required to have taskbar displayed how you like it.

Behave. :slight_smile:

As for Linux.
Linux had its chance and they blew it when they started dictating which software you were allowed to run.

1 Like

Because all are afraid these requirements could be in the official release, that´s understandable, I think. What you get is what you see.

Maybe MS want to test how the user react on that.

They also could start with less restrictions and a warning window “This hardware is not officially supported, use at own risk” or something.

Thanks for that info :slight_smile: , I read it in your former post.

But it remind me of Win8, the worst decision MS made in a long time. How could MS think the Desktop-users want Fullscreen-applications like Smartphone-users?

A huge startmenu in the middle of the screen isn´t understandable, even if it can be changed.

You never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression :wink:

What did you exactly mean?

I´m not a fan of Linux because of the handling and I don´t think many ppl will move in the next years to Linux, but maybe Linux will get a better market share because of W11-limits

A Development build is just that. It means Windows 11 is still in development, and nothing is set in stone yet.

Many people will like the first impression they get from Windows 11.
Apple has had a centre placed taskbar for years. It doesn’t appear to do Apple sales much harm.

First . Linux Mint says we will no longer support ‘SnapCraft’ (not going to explain snapcraft look it up if you’re interested).

Then the creator of the Linux kernel blocks NVidia’s GPU drivers in the kernel. Futile as NVidia were around it in less than 2 weeks.

that’s the thing, if i wanted an apple or to run osx, i’d buy an apple… (or build a hackintosh)

i have been using windows since 3.11. i want to run windows. it’s what i like and what i’m use to. i want a start menu, i want a control panel. stuff like that. they should have just let us keep windows 7 imo. and then made another version with a different desktop for tablet users or whatever they wanted to do. i mean look at linux how is it THEY can have an exact same OS but you can download different versions with a different desktop layout and still make everything compatible? even in the same OS you can choose different layouts. Not sure why they keep trying to force change on us every couple years. all it does is piss people off.

oh and speaking of linux. if you do want to make the jump, a lot of people haven’t heard of FerenOS but i tried a couple different ones, even Zorin but man i love Feren. out of the box it’s the closest thing to windows got everything you need including office stuff and everything just works. also comes with Vivaldi browser as default (which is what is use because of the customization you have with it) but if you need another app they have a nice clean interface for finding other programs. I just can’t say enough good things about it. it may even work with a lot of games too i think you can get steam and proton and stuff for it but i just still do my gaming on windows for now. worth a look though, and it’s free.

1 Like

Regarding the taskbar.
If you don’t want it placed on the centre then place it on the left like Windows 10. Same applies to the start menu.
You do it once, and its set, unless you want to move it back to the centre.
Personally, I want the choice to where the taskbar is placed. can you move Windows 10 taskbar to centre out the box?

Anyway. I updated my main PC to Windows 11, all my apps still run, although I did have to reinstall my NzXT cam software which allows me to adjust my CPU AIO cooler. It required updated drivers to function on Windows 11.

This brings up another comment I seen but couldn’t answer it before with any certainty.
All the systems drivers were updated to Windows 11 drivers as part of the update process. With the exception of ASUS 10Gbps LAN card and my NVidia RTX 2060 Super.

My LAN card is using Win10 drivers and functions as it should. The NVidia GPU required 471 series NVidia drivers to function correctly.

I will give the PC a hard workout over the coming days.

[edit]
I forgot to mention.
The Samsung 970EVO Plus and Toshiba RD400 proprietary NVMe drivers were removed as part of the update process, and replaced with the new MS Windows 11 NVMe driver.
More than likely to support Direct Storage.
Samsung Magician and the Toshiba SSD utility both run fine on Windows 11 with the new NVMe driver.

I also took a screenshot of the above applications running, and the taskbar placed on the left for your viewing pleasure.

Although I prefer the taskbar in the centre.

Personally I am not a fan of ‘snap’ and other alternative methods of software installation as I prefer the more standard/traditional means which is Software Manager and software repository (basically ‘sudo apt install NameOfPackage’ ) and PPA.

also, one can enable ‘snap’ in Linux Mint I think, it’s just disabled by default. personally I like how the Mint team handles stuff in general.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong… Linux won’t be overtaking Windows anytime for the foreseeable future. but, like you just said, I could possibly see ‘some’ people (probably a limited amount obviously) trying out Linux if their hardware don’t like Win11, and Win10 expires, they won’t have much choice but to use Linux if they want to continue using that hardware :wink:

That sounds plausible, but it’s only “if” their hardware is supported.

p.s. I get Win11 is in early stages and all like you said, but from the looks of things they are going to limit Win11 to running only on a narrow amount of hardware given the requirements probably ain’t going to change much between now and final product which I can’t see that being good for the common person who likes to hang into their hardware for a rather long time since decent CPU’s etc tend to last much longer for ‘good enough’ performance than they used to in the earlier days (say roughly early 2000’s and prior). but like I was saying, we shall see if Win11 is accepted or rejected soon enough :wink:

I am not ready to write Win11’s interface off as Win8 level bad as like you mentioned, Win8 was doomed after it’s interface suited tablets and the like but people who like to use real computers, hated it naturally as it was TOO drastic of a change and made doing stuff we are used to doing, a chore to do.

Win11 interface has changed some, but not ‘horrible decision level’ changed like that Win8 disaster. so it appears they learned their lesson not to take stuff TOO far.

I still use W8.1 with Classic Shell on some of my Notebooks. Faster than W10, Updates while W10 refuse to update on 2004 and above on my newer Notebooks while a Nb from 2012 gets the newest W10.

W8 were bad, sure, but not only the Desktop, also the button for shutdown. “Where´s the button?” Was one of the most asked questions after W8 was released.

Hope MS learned something after W8

A Desktop Environment as long as its functional, and they are these days. Be it Windows 7/8/10/11, Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE, Deepin are very functional. It’s just down to personal taste as to how they look.

Regarding Windows 11 hardware requirements. The only conclusion I can come to is. Wait for the beta and see. Don’t go by a development release that is being restricted to Windows Insider’s who happen to have very new PC’s.

Yep, that´s why you can modify some things or modding tools like Classic/Open Shell exist in/for Windows. Linux have the different distris to fulfill different conditions.

I will also try the next versions, also because of my work

I’ve given the PC a good trashing with Windows 11.
Stability and software compatibility is generally very good. But there are a couple of apps that I use that are not 100% stable, or function exactly as they are intended.

So I would say this early development release is not ready for primetime use.
I’ll leave it on my spare PC and see how it goes once updates come out. But for now my main PC is going back to Windows 10 for now.

My bad.
Had to boot into Linux earlier, so had to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS, and forgot to turn it back on before booting back into Windows 11.
Having re-enabled Secure Boot. All my apps work as they should in Windows 11.

I guess it does show that Secure Boot really is a requirement for Windows 11, if you want everything to work as expected.

1 Like

They are going to have some monster sales on laptops and PC desktops that will not support Windows 11, most probably before the holidays.

For what it’s worth I used Rufus to apply the install.wim image to a USB SSD (i.e. “Windows To Go” style). The first boot was a bit rough but after that (and after disabliing the page file) it start up and runs quite nicely. This is on an 8GB legacy Celeron system with no TPM, no secure boot support, and the drive partitioned/formated in MBR format. Not planning to do anything serious with this, it was idle curiority and proof of concept.

So for now it seems the system requirements are only enforced by the installer and there are many published workarounds for that.The unknown unknown is whether those requirements will eventually be baked into the OS. Even if they aren’t, on unsupported hardware configurations it is likely that every online feature update will have a hidden “gotcha” because the installer will, once again, notice the unsupported system configuration.

2 Likes