Windows 10 will save up to 14GB by compressing system files and skipping recovery image

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 will save up to 14GB by compressing system files and skipping recovery image[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/03/1a-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Windows 10 will consume about 2.6 GB less storage space because the operating system will compress system files.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-will-save-up-to-14gb-by-compressing-system-files-and-skipping-recovery-image-75408/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-will-save-up-to-14gb-by-compressing-system-files-and-skipping-recovery-image-75408/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Save 14 gigs?!!! How much space does this bloatware actually consume?

I’m a little dubious about this lack of recovery images. System file corruption does occur, and how many know to make backup discs or images on their own?

Also, 14gb isn’t really all that much space on a newer conventional HD. Maybe it would be on a smaller SSD. I would rather lose the space than the ability to restore after a problem occurs.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2750196]Save 14 gigs?!!! How much space does this bloatware actually consume?[/QUOTE]

My Windows 7 installs only take about 30-40gig to install SSD or HDD and this setup runs fine - I am highly dubious about compression as that takes valuable CPU power and if the compression fails then your files fail to open and work then your up the creek.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2750198]I’m a little dubious about this lack of recovery images. System file corruption does occur, and how many know to make backup discs or images on their own?[/QUOTE]

That’s the problem unless it was OEM system they can reorder the disc but if this was a standalone and they forget to make one then they will have to start all over again. I learned this mistake… :doh:now when I build my laptops for families at the end of the system and custom programs installation I now make Windows Backup DVD media for the Image and Recovery media to restore. Granted this is for a Savvy computer user to know but I think it be good advise for OEM computer buyers unless you get the Factory Recovery media with the system.

No recovery image, sounds like a false economy. How many Lenovo customers will be capable of reinstalling the spyware themselves? :p:bigsmile:

The significant change is not the software, but the licensing agreement: “Windows 10 will no longer [I][U]require[/U][/I] a recovery image.”

You can still have one, but it’s no longer compulsory.

Saving 12GB is nothing for desktops & laptops. But it will make a big difference to Windows tablets, which typically come with only 32 or 64GB of storage.

I think the LITE version of 8.1 installs to about 12gb minus updates and bloats somewhere in the neighborhood of 20gb w/o any add’l apps installed
that’s why Micro/Mini PC’s designed for HDTVs as streaming media boxes have to come with at LEAST 64gb of SD internal memories
they also have 2gb ram and Intel HD GPU’s supporting dx 11 FWIWÂ and these boxes consume < 15 watts @ 5v

Personally, I disagree about the notion that a few gigabytes are tiny, even on modern desktops/laptops. I’d love to have that extra space on my laptop, as I’m running short right now. I realize there are multi-terabyte drives out there, but how many “modern computer” users actually have one? Let us not forget the fact that SSDs, which being considered by many, tend to have lower capacities than hard drives. On top of that, many of the most popular commercial programs are starting to consume more and more disk space (typically without adding any real features) with each new version, presumably to add more anti-user code. Likewise for videos, since after all we really need 4k, so that someday we can “really need” 8k. :rolleyes: Of course, if Microsoft really wanted to consume less of their users’ disk space, they would probably find ways of making the system use less space in the first place.

But… how much do you want to bet this compression is simply LZ77, the [B]EXACT SAME[/B] transparent compression that even low-end computers have been able to use with ease for years? If so, why are there any system requirements at all? I’ve seen computers from the late 1990’s/early 2000’s that could read/write compressed files with very little difference in RAM/CPU usage. I always advise people using NTFS to compress as much as possible (while being careful not to compress the bootloader, which cannot function when compressed), so as to decrease HDD access times and increase the amount of free space.

Agreed. All windows Pcs I have installed have disc compression enabled as the first thing done.Â

The operating system keeps thousands of text log files, Â tens of gigabytes of update files, and temporary files that it never cleans up after itself.Â

If you compress the drive it will leave the boot files alone. If you want a pooched OS, you can manually select the boot files and compress them. Â